Binocular Advice Needed

Scored a really good deal on swaro glass last night at an auction...

not binos.. but I picked up an almost new Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 scope with a LaRue mount and LaRue rings (easily a $1600 package new if you factor in tax, shipping, etc).. Got it with fees, tax, etc included for $457..

I dont have much need for the LaRue mount or rings.. but Im guessing I can sell them pretty easily for somewhere in the $150 range...

Which means I picked up a nearly perfect condition Swaro Z3 for roughly $300..
Well, you hope it's "nearly perfect." I guess even if it needs to be fixed, you'd still be money ahead. Sounds like you made a steal.

Well, you hope it's "nearly perfect." I guess even if it needs to be fixed, you'd still be money ahead. Sounds like you made a steal.
thats where the Swaro lifetime warranty comes in :)

Ive seen enough pics of the scope to know it hasnt been dropped, beat up, etc.. so if there is a problem with it (doubtful.. but certainly possible).. it should be covered under the manufacturers lifetime warranty against defects, workmanship, materials, etc..

I didnt really need another scope at the moment.. pretty much everything in the safe is topped with either a mid line zeiss, swaro, or leupold optic.. but at that price I figured I couldnt pass it up..

Getting back to the binos discussion.. on the same auction site Im currently watching a set of zeiss 8x39B binos that look like they are in very good shape.. the rubber amour is cracked (dry rotted) a little bit.. but this is extremely typical for those older zeiss binos.. My guess is they will end up going for somewhere between $50-$100 (currently at $17 with 3 days left in the auction)... while I dont need another set of binos (already have some very nice leupolds, a lower end set of leupolds, and my wife has some high end zeiss).. if they go at the lower end of that scale (somewhere around $50).. I wont be able to resist..

thats where the Swaro lifetime warranty comes in :)

Ive seen enough pics of the scope to know it hasnt been dropped, beat up, etc.. so if there is a problem with it (doubtful.. but certainly possible).. it should be covered under the manufacturers lifetime warranty against defects, workmanship, materials, etc..

I didnt really need another scope at the moment.. pretty much everything in the safe is topped with either a mid line zeiss, swaro, or leupold optic.. but at that price I figured I couldnt pass it up..

Getting back to the binos discussion.. on the same auction site Im currently watching a set of zeiss 8x39B binos that look like they are in very good shape.. the rubber amour is cracked (dry rotted) a little bit.. but this is extremely typical for those older zeiss binos.. My guess is they will end up going for somewhere between $50-$100 (currently at $17 with 3 days left in the auction)... while I dont need another set of binos (already have some very nice leupolds, a lower end set of leupolds, and my wife has some high end zeiss).. if they go at the lower end of that scale (somewhere around $50).. I wont be able to resist..
I see we are looking at the same set of binoculars!

I see we are looking at the same set of binoculars!
if youre thinking about bidding, I'll bow out... no reason for 2 AH guys bidding each other up :)

like I said, I certainly dont need another set of binos.. all 3 hunters in the house have a good set, and then a second back up set as well.. I just figured it I could pick them up for $50, why not?

My plan was to figure out how to plasti-dip them to fix the dry rot issue.. I think a light coat of some sort would fill in all of the cracks, and also put a fresh "rubber" coat on the outside.. I'd just have to figure out how to tape off the glass and also keep the pasti-dip from locking up the moving parts..

if youre thinking about bidding, I'll bow out... no reason for 2 AH guys bidding each other up :)

like I said, I certainly dont need another set of binos.. all 3 hunters in the house have a good set, and then a second back up set as well.. I just figured it I could pick them up for $50, why not?

My plan was to figure out how to plasti-dip them to fix the dry rot issue.. I think a light coat of some sort would fill in all of the cracks, and also put a fresh "rubber" coat on the outside.. I'd just have to figure out how to tape off the glass and also keep the pasti-dip from locking up the moving parts..
Actually, that $17 bid is mine. That said, I do have a nice set of 8x30 Mavens and probably wouldn't go to $50.

Ill leave it alone then unless it gets close to $50... and then hope it was you that got them :)

The problem with auctions is its hard to walk away when you see a good "deal"... even if you dont really need the item thats up for grabs..

so you end up spending money that you didnt need to.. on something you dont particularly want.. but you just couldnt resist the great buy lol..

Ill leave it alone then unless it gets close to $50... and then hope it was you that got them :)

The problem with auctions is its hard to walk away when you see a good "deal"... even if you dont really need the item thats up for grabs..

so you end up spending money that you didnt need to.. on something you dont particularly want.. but you just couldnt resist the great buy lol..
My problem is usually when I see books and I can't resist. My wife, by contrast, would love me to resist and not because I'm spending money! I need to start selling some of the extras that came with the books that I wanted.

After being outbid on a couple of auctions for Leica Trinovid 10x42 BA binoculars and comparing the winning price for used older models with new ones, I just pulled the trigger and bought a pair of Leica Trinovid 10x42 HDs. I ended up getting a deal that I just couldn't pass up.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions. I did take your suggestion to not settle. I'm sure these will serve me the rest of my hunting days.

In the interest of not starting another thread just for the sake of starting another thread, I was going to post this here as I believe it relates to the overall theme. Thank you to @jpr9954 for starting this.

My wife and I each have a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 rangefinder binos and have really been enjoying them. They have accompanied us on a number of hunts as well as range trips. They have amazing optical clarity and the accuracy of the rangefinder is top notch.

Recently, while packing for a trip the binos got left behind. It wasn't a hunting trip, but it would have been nice to have at least one set for us to look through. Especially for my wife who will spend hours looking at things off in the distance. She is truly my eagle-eyed scout when it comes to game.

So why leave something so important behind? Mostly for their size and weight. For all their attributes, they are not what one would call "handy". So with an upcoming buffalo hunt we decided to make a purchase of a new set of compact binos that better fit our travel needs.

Enter Euro Optic...damn you Euro Optic** (but in a good way). They have accounted for the majority of our optic purchases as well as much of our Blaser budget. Absolutely wonderful people to work with. I was browsing their website last night and found the binos we were looking for. Bonus, they were a demo model with a significantly reduced price. It didn't take long for the Department of Finance to approve the request and they are now on their way.

Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD-Plus

1720093167023.png

These will not replace the RF binos on our upcoming hunt, but instead be used in conjunction with them. When I hunt, I'll keep the 8x32's and she will range with the 10x42's...when she hunts, we'll switch.

I've also added a couple of bino harness to our Amazon cart for us to try out. One of them is the Rick Young that I've wanted to try for a long time and the other is a camera strap with quick disconnects that looks like it might do well on the heavier 10x42's.

I'll post updates as things arrive.

**Side note on Euro Optic and their policies. We've purchased demo models from them before. One time was a Pulsar thermal imaging spotting scope, that upon further inspection had a couple of problems. I talked to them on the phone and was given a RMA number and shipping label almost immediately. The item was returned and we were out ZERO dollars, they even covered the shipping! I can't say enough good things about these guys. Excellent customer service.

If I were hunting in the eastern cape I also would want 10x42, however if I were hunting in the Limpopo Province I would take my 8x30's. Has more to do with where you are hunting.

If I were hunting in the eastern cape I also would want 10x42, however if I were hunting in the Limpopo Province I would take my 8x30's. Has more to do with where you are hunting.
Having a hunting partner who is willing to trade off binos for different conditions gives both of us a great advantage. I really enjoy having my bride along for a hunt. Making memories together is important to us.

Having a hunting partner who is willing to trade off binos for different conditions gives both of us a great advantage. I really enjoy having my bride along for a hunt. Making memories together is important to us.

Yep.. my wife and I even do this with rifles…

I’ll tote around a bigger/heavier 30 magnum… while she totes a super lightweight, compact 308… if we’re looking at a longer shot or a heavier animal the larger gun gets deployed… smaller animal or closer shot the 308 gets deployed…

I think Seavoski 10x42 are kind of the gold standard for Africa or anywhere else for that matter. I have been using the same set of SLCs for over 30 years now.

I’ve seen more PHs with Swarovski SLCs than any other bino.

I understand new Swaro may be more than what you are looking to spend. Take a look at eBay. There are a number of used binos at very reasonable prices.

Yep.. my wife and I even do this with rifles…

I’ll tote around a bigger/heavier 30 magnum… while she totes a super lightweight, compact 308… if we’re looking at a longer shot or a heavier animal the larger gun gets deployed… smaller animal or closer shot the 308 gets deployed…
We could do this, but it would be more of the exception than the rule. I usually carry the 375H&H and she has a 300WM. I'm not likely to use her rifle but it wouldn't be out of bounds for her to use mine if a little extra horsepower is needed.

If our rifle fit was closer, I'm sure this would be put into play much more often. The fact that our LOP is different by close to 2 inches, shooting each others rifle can be a shoulder punishing endeavor. Or end with a scope cut.

I would rather have her make a more accurate shot with a smaller caliber than be worried about the recoil of my (light for caliber) rifle. Of course the exception would be DG where the 300WM wouldn't be a legal option.

We’re in a similar boat… I’m 6’4”… the house boss is 5’3”… and our LOP is roughly 2” different… so it’s definitely not ideal… but we make it work… :)

@BeeMaa I think you will like the Rick Young harness. I have one I use on my Olympus DSLR. It gives you the option of slinging over one shoulder or having the binos/camera chest high. The only modification I made was to put loops of paracord between the camera and the harness. I didn’t want the metal split rings rubbing on the camera.

@BeeMaa I think you will like the Rick Young harness. I have one I use on my Olympus DSLR. It gives you the option of slinging over one shoulder or having the binos/camera chest high. The only modification I made was to put loops of paracord between the camera and the harness. I didn’t want the metal split rings rubbing on the camera.

We use RYO harnesses exclusively these days... got them on every set of binos in the house.. excellent product at a very reasonable price point..

@jpr9954 & @mdwest - I ordered one RYO and another one with a wider strap (pictured below) that's made for a camera. The camera one is from Peak Designs and has (four) little tabs with strings to attach to the binos, that also QD's with the strap. Thinking I might like this for the heavier 10x42's but I'll be giving the RYO harness a go with them as well. Not sold on the RYO and how they will feel on my shoulder with the heavy ones attached. However, if I do go this route, I'll be making some attachments out of nylon to QD with the binos so there isn't any metal touching them. I can't stand metal touching the optics!
1720106188716.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SummerBlay

Latest profile posts

We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested