Binocular Advice Needed

Scored a really good deal on swaro glass last night at an auction...

not binos.. but I picked up an almost new Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 scope with a LaRue mount and LaRue rings (easily a $1600 package new if you factor in tax, shipping, etc).. Got it with fees, tax, etc included for $457..

I dont have much need for the LaRue mount or rings.. but Im guessing I can sell them pretty easily for somewhere in the $150 range...

Which means I picked up a nearly perfect condition Swaro Z3 for roughly $300..
Well, you hope it's "nearly perfect." I guess even if it needs to be fixed, you'd still be money ahead. Sounds like you made a steal.

Well, you hope it's "nearly perfect." I guess even if it needs to be fixed, you'd still be money ahead. Sounds like you made a steal.
thats where the Swaro lifetime warranty comes in :)

Ive seen enough pics of the scope to know it hasnt been dropped, beat up, etc.. so if there is a problem with it (doubtful.. but certainly possible).. it should be covered under the manufacturers lifetime warranty against defects, workmanship, materials, etc..

I didnt really need another scope at the moment.. pretty much everything in the safe is topped with either a mid line zeiss, swaro, or leupold optic.. but at that price I figured I couldnt pass it up..

Getting back to the binos discussion.. on the same auction site Im currently watching a set of zeiss 8x39B binos that look like they are in very good shape.. the rubber amour is cracked (dry rotted) a little bit.. but this is extremely typical for those older zeiss binos.. My guess is they will end up going for somewhere between $50-$100 (currently at $17 with 3 days left in the auction)... while I dont need another set of binos (already have some very nice leupolds, a lower end set of leupolds, and my wife has some high end zeiss).. if they go at the lower end of that scale (somewhere around $50).. I wont be able to resist..

thats where the Swaro lifetime warranty comes in :)

Ive seen enough pics of the scope to know it hasnt been dropped, beat up, etc.. so if there is a problem with it (doubtful.. but certainly possible).. it should be covered under the manufacturers lifetime warranty against defects, workmanship, materials, etc..

I didnt really need another scope at the moment.. pretty much everything in the safe is topped with either a mid line zeiss, swaro, or leupold optic.. but at that price I figured I couldnt pass it up..

Getting back to the binos discussion.. on the same auction site Im currently watching a set of zeiss 8x39B binos that look like they are in very good shape.. the rubber amour is cracked (dry rotted) a little bit.. but this is extremely typical for those older zeiss binos.. My guess is they will end up going for somewhere between $50-$100 (currently at $17 with 3 days left in the auction)... while I dont need another set of binos (already have some very nice leupolds, a lower end set of leupolds, and my wife has some high end zeiss).. if they go at the lower end of that scale (somewhere around $50).. I wont be able to resist..
I see we are looking at the same set of binoculars!

I see we are looking at the same set of binoculars!
if youre thinking about bidding, I'll bow out... no reason for 2 AH guys bidding each other up :)

like I said, I certainly dont need another set of binos.. all 3 hunters in the house have a good set, and then a second back up set as well.. I just figured it I could pick them up for $50, why not?

My plan was to figure out how to plasti-dip them to fix the dry rot issue.. I think a light coat of some sort would fill in all of the cracks, and also put a fresh "rubber" coat on the outside.. I'd just have to figure out how to tape off the glass and also keep the pasti-dip from locking up the moving parts..

if youre thinking about bidding, I'll bow out... no reason for 2 AH guys bidding each other up :)

like I said, I certainly dont need another set of binos.. all 3 hunters in the house have a good set, and then a second back up set as well.. I just figured it I could pick them up for $50, why not?

My plan was to figure out how to plasti-dip them to fix the dry rot issue.. I think a light coat of some sort would fill in all of the cracks, and also put a fresh "rubber" coat on the outside.. I'd just have to figure out how to tape off the glass and also keep the pasti-dip from locking up the moving parts..
Actually, that $17 bid is mine. That said, I do have a nice set of 8x30 Mavens and probably wouldn't go to $50.

Ill leave it alone then unless it gets close to $50... and then hope it was you that got them :)

The problem with auctions is its hard to walk away when you see a good "deal"... even if you dont really need the item thats up for grabs..

so you end up spending money that you didnt need to.. on something you dont particularly want.. but you just couldnt resist the great buy lol..

Ill leave it alone then unless it gets close to $50... and then hope it was you that got them :)

The problem with auctions is its hard to walk away when you see a good "deal"... even if you dont really need the item thats up for grabs..

so you end up spending money that you didnt need to.. on something you dont particularly want.. but you just couldnt resist the great buy lol..
My problem is usually when I see books and I can't resist. My wife, by contrast, would love me to resist and not because I'm spending money! I need to start selling some of the extras that came with the books that I wanted.

After being outbid on a couple of auctions for Leica Trinovid 10x42 BA binoculars and comparing the winning price for used older models with new ones, I just pulled the trigger and bought a pair of Leica Trinovid 10x42 HDs. I ended up getting a deal that I just couldn't pass up.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions. I did take your suggestion to not settle. I'm sure these will serve me the rest of my hunting days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanceeHint

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.