Binocular Advice Needed

Does anyone have any experience with the Steiner Rocky binoculars? They seem to be a compact model in the 10x28 and 12x28 class. I've found some good deals on these at auction. I thought of them as a back-up set that could be kept in the car.
Yes if had a good go on Steiner 10x42 (I’ll ask my mate if they were the Rocky ones) good last light image nice clearly around the edges. Just not as good as my Leupold pro guides.
I’ll confirm which ones they where though.

Sorry @jpr9954 they where Ranger model
Think the Rocky ones are labelled the wildlife ones here in Europe.

Last edited:
Which I think is the model below the Ranger ones here in Europe

Mr. One Day...'s advice on buying binoculars is excellent.

Just adding some more points:

- the advantage of a wide objective lens (the objective lens is the big one) is in the field of view. Small, pocket, binoculars are functionally useless for hunting - at least in my experience - because it is like looking through a straw trying to pick up what you are looking for.

- in the old days, the way of checking the quality of the lenses was to look through the binoculars from the objective lens. That way any defect would be apparent. With modern computer-milled lenses, the quality is nowadays taken for granted.

- the advantage of after-sales repairs. Swarovski has an excellent reputation for no-quibble, free, repairs: NB. some of their new binoculars are sold without this lifetime warranty. Zeiss, I have had trouble with on a telescopic sight and eventually gave up on them. Leica seems to have a poor reputation.

Theoretically, at least, this ought to mean that one can buy a second-hand pair of Swarovskis confident that if something does go wrong, they will be repaired for free.

- the idea that one should buy the best binoculars, and buy them once, is sound enough if you are going to get a lot of use out of them and hunting is your passion. Otherwise, if they are going to spend most of the time sitting in a drawer, what is the point?

- there is a difference between the various models of binoculars - such as the Leica Trinovid HD, BN, and BA models, as they iteratively improved over time - but the improvement is so minor as to be irrelevant. Meanwhile, very good second-hand examples of the older models can be picked up for fractions of the price of the latest model (see below).

Going back to Mr. jpr9954's original post, he was wondering whether to upgrade and to what, and he could not afford a new pair of Leicas or Swarovskis.

My advice would be for him to look at the second-hand market. This would include eBay and the invaluable and liveauctioneers websites. Incidentally, looking at the realised prices, if he is prepared to put up with the aggravation of shipping and customs, he will find cheaper prices on the (British) saleroom.com: here's a pair of Zeiss 10x40s at an estimate of $100 (they won't go for that), and some Leica 10x42s at a more realistic $300-odd. NB - always ask for a condition report before bidding, and be aware of the commission charged.

As I say, there seem to be any number of retirees who take up the hobby of gawping at birds and spend a fortune on binoculars and telescopes, which then turn up in essentially new condition at their estate sales.

Last edited:
Mr. One Day...'s advice on buying binoculars is excellent.

Just adding some more points:

- the advantage of a wide objective lens (the objective lens is the big one) is in the field of view. Small, pocket, binoculars are functionally useless for hunting - at least in my experience - because it is like looking through a straw trying to pick up what you are looking for.

- in the old days, the way of checking the quality of the lenses was to look through the binoculars from the objective lens. That way any defect would be apparent. With modern computer-milled lenses, the quality is nowadays taken for granted.

- the advantage of after-sales repairs. Swarovski has an excellent reputation for no-quibble, free, repairs: NB. some of their new binoculars are sold without this lifetime warranty. Zeiss, I have had trouble with on a telescopic sight and eventually gave up on them. Leica seems to have a poor reputation.

Theoretically, at least, this ought to mean that one can buy a second-hand pair of Swarovskis confident that if something does go wrong, they will be repaired for free.

- the idea that one should buy the best binoculars, and buy them once, is sound enough if you are going to get a lot of use out of them and hunting is your passion. Otherwise, if they are going to spend most of the time sitting in a drawer, what is the point?

- there is a difference between the various models of binoculars - such as the Leica Trinovid HD, BN, and BA models, as they iteratively improved over time - but the improvement is so minor as to be irrelevant. Meanwhile, very good second-hand examples of the older models can be picked up for fractions of the price of the latest model (see below).

Going back to Mr. jpr9954's original post, he was wondering whether to upgrade and to what, and he could not afford a new pair of Leicas or Swarovskis.

My advice would be for him to look at the second-hand market. This would include eBay and the invaluable and liveauctioneers websites. Incidentally, looking at the realised prices, if he is prepared to put up with the aggravation of shipping and customs, he will find cheaper prices on the (British) saleroom.com: here's a pair of Zeiss 10x40s at an estimate of $100 (they won't go for that), and some Leica 10x42s at a more realistic $300-odd. NB - always ask for a condition report before bidding, and be aware of the commission charged.

As I say, there seem to be any number of retirees who take up the hobby of gawping at birds and spend a fortune on binoculars and telescopes, which then turn up in essentially new condition at their estate sales.
Besides Ebay, I had been searching hibid.com and proxibid.com. You gave me some more places to look for good, used binos.

On my just concluded hunt in the Eastern Cape I used my Maven B.3 8x30 binoculars. They worked fairly good and were light enough. However, the PH and my brother-in-law who had 10x binoculars were able to pick out some animals that I missed. This was especially true when we were searching for kudu on a conservancy where we had to look across a valley at 5-700 yards to see them.

I am considering taking advantage of some of the Father's Day sales to upgrade to 10x binoculars. While my PH suggested 10x42, I'm wondering if having a 10x30 or 10x32 would be handier. One that I'm looking at are the mid-range Kowa BD II's in 10x32 as well as 10x42. The 10x42's are about 4 ounces heavier. They get some good reviews from the birders.

I'd love to go the Swarovski/Leica route but they are out of my budget range. I'm open to suggestions on other brands.

Should I upgrade or make do? While I no longer have 20/20 vision, I still don't have to wear glasses except to read.
I only use 10x binos. There are situations where I would be better off with 8x but more often the 10x is suitable. Many people swear by 8x and do well with them in a variety of situations. Everyone's eyes are different that is for sure!

I love them. They are a bit heavy, but I am a lot stronger than I look. :LOL: I can spot and judge animals long before legal shooting light and they allow me to see animals that I would not see without good glass. The range finder is very handy, and I never want to be without one. If I wasn't happy with them, they would have been replaced a long time ago. The new models look nicer and seem to be a bit lighter but not enough improvement for me to change. I have no interest in the latest and greatest with wifi, Bluetooth, ballistic program, espresso maker, etc.

Safe hunting
Great, now Gina is going to want the ones with the expresso maker ;)

I have Swarovskis in 10x32 I know you said those particular ones are out of your budget, but that style has worked very well for me for years.

Bought a pair bout 2 years ago as had been looking at prices on line...and happened to look in the cabinet at the gun shop I use...and he by chance had exact ones I was looking at....and surprisingly slightly cheaper than what I had seen on the usa etc sites....so did the deal...my previous ones were great but not quite as sharp as these....and I don't like lugging bigger than I need....as don't hunt when light is going down not a problem..... @PeteG said only difference he can see between his 10x42 is when light is low....so basically decide what your needs are....yeah as people have said expensive but worth it ....

Your PH is always going to spot the game before you. He knows the territory and he is accustomed to searching for animals.
On our first day on safari our PH spotted two kudu under the shade of a tree about 300 yards out. He said the one on the left was a shooter. I replied with “the one on the right is better”.

He turned and looked at me like…who the F are you telling me what kudu is bigger?

I handed him my Leica Geovid 10x42 R binds and he set down his Vortex 10x42’s. He looked at the kudu…then looked at me and again looked at the kudu. He then said “you are correct, the one on the right is bigger”. He wasn’t happy about it, but he knew that his equipment was limiting his performance.

Your PH will only see to the limitations of their binos. Our PH was so impressed with the performance of the Leica’s that we negotiated them as part of his tip.

@jpr9954 - Buy the absolute best you can afford. Keep your eyes on the used market for top quality European glass. I’ve never once thought about how much I paid for my binos as I was taking pictures of the game on the ground.

I am rather amazed that nobody has mentioned the SIG Zulu 6 yet.

I got a pair last year for Africa/turkey hunting. 10 X 30 are small and easy to pack/handle. The image stabilized part makes them an absolute game changer! You can glass one handed on a boat running down the river and it’s like you’re set up with regular binos on a tripod.

I used them a ton on my Buffalo Hunt to glass one-handed and they worked great. Obviously the glass is not gonna be as good as the three premium brands. IMO the image stabilization more than makes up for better glass.

If SIG ever figures out how to add the range finding feature into these, I will sell all my other bios and use nothing but Zulu 6. 10 X 30 for Africa/turkey hunting and 12 X 42 for western big game.

Chase

Attachments

• ZULU6 HDX BINOCULAR 10X30MM.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
He turned and looked at me like…who the F are you telling me what kudu is bigger?

yeah time to find a new PH in my opinion.

yeah time to find a new PH in my opinion.
He didn’t say that, it was just the way he looked at me. I can hardly blame him since we had been in the country less than 24 hours.

The PH was great. He didn’t have a penny to his name because he’d just purchased a double rifle. And after our safari, he had a proper set of binos.

I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt with him again.

Meopta also is good binocs , not German but Czech .

Also Noblex you can look for , Germans and previously name was Docter Optics for them ( previously Carl Zeiss Jena ) very price worthy they are . They have a little compact mono spotter 8-24x50 also

He didn’t say that, it was just the way he looked at me. I can hardly blame him since we had been in the country less than 24 hours.

The PH was great. He didn’t have a penny to his name because he’d just purchased a double rifle. And after our safari, he had a proper set of binos.

I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt with him again.
Oh thought you meant he said that on the first day.

Oh thought you meant he said that on the first day.
I understand. He just gave me a look and it was completely justified given the circumstances.

No feelings were hurt on either side…or between you and me. ;) Cheers.

Couldn’t agree more with searching the second hand market. I’ve bought very good Leica and Zeiss at online auctions and never paid more than $450… The glass was almost perfect in every instance.

Ed Z

1718976981778.jpeg

Couldn’t agree more with searching the second hand market. I’ve bought very good Leica and Zeiss at online auctions and never paid more than $450… The glass was almost perfect in every instance.

Ed Z

View attachment 615144

I haven’t been fortunate enough to find Leica on the second hand market at a reasonable price… but I see LOTS of mid to high end Zeiss show up on various auction sites regularly.. and they almost always go for very reasonable prices..

Attachments

• ZEISS BINOCULARS | Live and Online Auctions on HiBid.com.pdf
    386.8 KB · Views: 5
I haven’t been fortunate enough to find Leica on the second hand market at a reasonable price… but I see LOTS of mid to high end Zeiss show up on various auction sites regularly.. and they almost always go for very reasonable prices..

Scored a really good deal on swaro glass last night at an auction...

not binos.. but I picked up an almost new Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 scope with a LaRue mount and LaRue rings (easily a $1600 package new if you factor in tax, shipping, etc).. Got it with fees, tax, etc included for $457..

I dont have much need for the LaRue mount or rings.. but Im guessing I can sell them pretty easily for somewhere in the $150 range...

Which means I picked up a nearly perfect condition Swaro Z3 for roughly $300..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heather387

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex
A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?