Binocular Advice Needed

Zeiss conquest binoculars are good and you can find them for very reasonable. I would recommend the 10x42.

A man can never have too many pairs of binoculars.

I have a set in each of my vehicles along with my Swaro's that I'll pack for my hunting trip.

I live in Colorado and you never know just when you are going to want to look at something when just out for a drive.

On my just concluded hunt in the Eastern Cape I used my Maven B.3 8x30 binoculars. They worked fairly good and were light enough. However, the PH and my brother-in-law who had 10x binoculars were able to pick out some animals that I missed. This was especially true when we were searching for kudu on a conservancy where we had to look across a valley at 5-700 yards to see them.

I am considering taking advantage of some of the Father's Day sales to upgrade to 10x binoculars. While my PH suggested 10x42, I'm wondering if having a 10x30 or 10x32 would be handier. One that I'm looking at are the mid-range Kowa BD II's in 10x32 as well as 10x42. The 10x42's are about 4 ounces heavier. They get some good reviews from the birders.

I'd love to go the Swarovski/Leica route but they are out of my budget range. I'm open to suggestions on other brands.

Should I upgrade or make due? While I no longer have 20/20 vision, I still don't have to wear glasses except to read.
30 mm objectives will limit your light gathering, which is important dawn and dusk. Best advice is, "buy once, cry once" and stretch your budget. Otherwise you are certain to be upgrading later and your present purchase wasted IMO.

In about 1978 I was in Hong Kong. The group I was with had custom clothes made. I bought a pair of Zeiss black armor 10x40 (or 42) paid almost nothing for them. Best buy I ever made. I have other quality glass Swarovski &Leica. I have cheaper Binocs for client use, but no one touches my Zeiss.

Sent them in once for service and new eye cups, returned in less than 2 weeks. No charge.

Lon

10x42’s …. You’ll find the 10x42’s perfect for most any hunting you do here in North America and handy in Africa on hunts like you just came from. My Swaro 10x42’s are my go to set of binos when mule deer, pronghorn, or elk hunting out west. I love them for deer in Texas or the Midwest when hunting fields.

8x30’s to me are perfect for in thick jess when buffalo or elephant hunting. I like them when hunting out of a tree stand in the woods for places like New England or even the pineywoods of the Southeast.10x30’s are going to reduce light transmission in those critical moments of first and last light and also reduce your FOV a good bit. In thicker areas this isn’t as much of a handicap. You have 30mm Binos covered with your current set so add something with a better FOV.

Dont go bigger than 10’s or you’re going to get too much shake when glassing. I’ve got some 15x56 SLC’s that I love but they need to be used with a Tripod or on the tip of shooting sticks or trekking poles. They’re super handy when I want some extra magnification but don’t want to pack a Spotting Scope.

On my just concluded hunt in the Eastern Cape I used my Maven B.3 8x30 binoculars. They worked fairly good and were light enough. However, the PH and my brother-in-law who had 10x binoculars were able to pick out some animals that I missed. This was especially true when we were searching for kudu on a conservancy where we had to look across a valley at 5-700 yards to see them.

I am considering taking advantage of some of the Father's Day sales to upgrade to 10x binoculars. While my PH suggested 10x42, I'm wondering if having a 10x30 or 10x32 would be handier. One that I'm looking at are the mid-range Kowa BD II's in 10x32 as well as 10x42. The 10x42's are about 4 ounces heavier. They get some good reviews from the birders.

I'd love to go the Swarovski/Leica route but they are out of my budget range. I'm open to suggestions on other brands.

Should I upgrade or make do? While I no longer have 20/20 vision, I still don't have to wear glasses except to read.
Your PH is always going to spot the game before you. He knows the territory and he is accustomed to searching for animals.
On my last hunt we were hunting for kudu. After a day in the hills the PH asked both of us how many Kudu we had spotted. I replied in the high 30’s, my budd something similar. Wik replied that he had spotted over 100. After a couple of days your eyes get tuned in to spotting game.
My binoculars are Leica 8x42 when I’m hunting close to dawn or dusk. For Africa it’s Swarovski 8x32’s. The sunlight is generally strong and the Swaro’s are considerably lighter !

I was in this dilemma a two years ago. Here when deer stalking last light is everything and I tried all the big European big brands but the one that did it for me was the pro guide leupold 10x42. They are just awesome in those last light situations……..so much so that now I need a new scope as I’ll see em with the pro guides get on the rifle and dam can’t see narda :ROFLMAO:
My only gripe is that the twist up eye cups won’t hold…..bit of black tape fixed that. Had them in SA and the guide wanted to steal them off me lol. Said he would swap them for his Swaros:whistle:
Did very well in the Antarctic in February where the change in temp is huge going from inside the boat to out on deck and into zodiac kayak etc. No fog issues.
Their harness system isn’t the best though. Might need to look at something for that.

You are correct about birders. From the reviews they post, they are demanding about their optics.

I'm following an Ebay auction for 10x42R Leica Geovids. It is the older, pre-2022 model which *only* ranges to 1200 yards as opposed to 1800 in the new model. Price right now is in the low $400 range. They seem a little heavy for my purpose but I might bid on them anyway just because.

I don't like carrying big heavy binos. I just bought a pair of the 8x32 Leica on sale from Sport Optics. They have 10x32 and 10x42 also on sale.

Attachments

• Leica Trinovid 10x32 HD Binoculars | Leica Binoculars 40317 on Sale | Sport Optics.pdf
    235.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Leica Trinovid Binoculars 10x42 HD 40319.pdf
    228.1 KB · Views: 16
I never hunted with binoculars till I went to Africa. Didn't need them tracking deer, elk, and moose in snow and timber. First safari I had none. They are not needed as PH and tracker always had excellent glass and they know what they are looking for. But it is more enjoyable for everyone if I'm not swinging the barrel around scoping animals. So I bought a pair of 8x Steiner for the next safari and, while they were handy to carry, didn't provide anything better than 9x on my scope. My left eye is so beat up that I'm generally not getting the "binocular" effect anyway. Smaller binocs also tend towards double vision with my eyes. One day I happened to be shopping for nothing in a local pawnshop and noticed a showcase full of binoculars. Some were even new in the box. I had the fella dig out the lot and I tried each one. Darned if I didn't find a pair of no name 10x42 still in the box that worked with my goofy eyes. Hmm. "Those are Nikon knockoffs." Yeah, sure. Pffft. He made me a "deal" and I walked out with them for fifty bucks US. Whatever. If they crap out, I'm not gonna get beat up. The case was junk so I made a holster from leather scavenged from a lady's purse I bought at Salvation Army store. "Darn. No tampons in here" The checker gal didn't think I was funny.
20220320_235509.jpg

20220320_235530.jpg

(Snap added later to strap)
I took both binocs to Africa on my next safari in case new pair crapped. The belt holster was very handy. Most of the time the flap is tucked inside for quick draw. These cheap binoculars have worked great through three safaris and as many fall deer/elk hunts in Montana (though rarely out of the vehicle when I'm hunting there). I didn't expect them to hold up in freezing conditions but have been pleasantly surprised. These were bought purely to see if it was worth it for me to invest in something similar of better "quality." Upgrade not needed ... so far.

10x42 is definitely the way to go.

You are correct about birders. From the reviews they post, they are demanding about their optics.

I'm following an Ebay auction for 10x42R Leica Geovids. It is the older, pre-2022 model which *only* ranges to 1200 yards as opposed to 1800 in the new model. Price right now is in the low $400 range. They seem a little heavy for my purpose but I might bid on them anyway just because.
I have had my Geovids for over 15 years. I love them. I have Leiva 8x20 Ultravids for when I am going on a walkabout. I have had great deals on optics from Camera Land NY and Eurooptic after the shows when they have "open box" specials.

Safe shooting

The Zeiss Terra ED's are a solid set of binos for a budget binos. Keep the 8x30 for bush conditions. The 10x42's for the eastern cape and Namibia more open style hunts.

Or the 8x30 for east of the mississippi and 10x42 for western US.

I never hunted with binoculars till I went to Africa. Didn't need them tracking deer, elk, and moose in snow and timber. First safari I had none. They are not needed as PH and tracker always had excellent glass and they know what they are looking for. But it is more enjoyable for everyone if I'm not swinging the barrel around scoping animals. So I bought a pair of 8x Steiner for the next safari and, while they were handy to carry, didn't provide anything better than 9x on my scope. My left eye is so beat up that I'm generally not getting the "binocular" effect anyway. Smaller binocs also tend towards double vision with my eyes. One day I happened to be shopping for nothing in a local pawnshop and noticed a showcase full of binoculars. Some were even new in the box. I had the fella dig out the lot and I tried each one. Darned if I didn't find a pair of no name 10x42 still in the box that worked with my goofy eyes. Hmm. "Those are Nikon knockoffs." Yeah, sure. Pffft. He made me a "deal" and I walked out with them for fifty bucks US. Whatever. If they crap out, I'm not gonna get beat up. The case was junk so I made a holster from leather scavenged from a lady's purse I bought at Salvation Army store. "Darn. No tampons in here" The checker gal didn't think I was funny.
View attachment 613615
View attachment 613616
I took both binocs to Africa on my next safari in case new pair crapped. The belt holster was very handy. Most of the time the flap is tucked inside for quick draw. These cheap binoculars have worked great through three safaris and as many fall deer/elk hunts in Montana (though rarely out of the vehicle when I'm hunting there). I didn't expect them to hold up in freezing conditions but have been pleasantly surprised. These were bought purely to see if it was worth it for me to invest in something similar of better "quality." Upgrade not needed ... so far.

I love your bino “purse”. That is a seriously good looking case.

I've hunted most of my life with 2 pairs of binoculars, both Swarovski and both still working well after 35 plus years. I'd suggest that you look for a quality used pair of 8.5x42 or 10x42 Swarovski EL binoculars, you will get a lifetime of use from them and a lot of pleasure, searching and spotting game.

There are a number of other quality brands that you may wish to consider, Swarovski is my personal preference.

Good luck on your next hunt.

10x is the max power I can use with Binos, if using them for any period of time. I have Swaros in 8.5, they are prefect for me when glassing.

I say this on all these threads, https://tractoptics.com/10x42-binoculars are the best thing going for the money. Nothing in the 700 range I've seen is remotely close.

Attachments

• 10X42 Hunting Binoculars.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 14
View attachment 613615
View attachment 613616

Back when I was doing a lot of still hunting I used my binoculars almost more than I do now.

Every time that I would stop I would use them to glass ahead no matter how far I could see. I looked for legs or a ear twitching. I never 100% hoped that I would just chance on a animal and most if the times I would see them way before they saw me which enabled me to get into a postilion for the shot.

I have Steiner 10x42, 8x30, 8x22 monocular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MavisKessl

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?