Best bullet for Africa

Im in the camp of shoot them all in practice for your hunt but buy some modern stuff, as suggested here. Plenty of proven PG and DG rounds that will work. This is from a lover of classic rounds and loads, just got shot up a safe of silvertip from by grandfather who had bought them for a safari in 1968. As said, you are spending a lot of money so dont go cheap on the only thing that touches the animal. Cheers

I take a 300 win mag and would say use barnes 180ttsx if it work well out of your gun, Have taken a lot of plains gam with barnes vortex in 180 grain from my 300. I also take my 257 weatherby and have taken zebra and kudu with that gun and 100 grain ttsx. Only other bullet I would use and have used in Africa in swift a frames.

african animals are no tougher then ours and I would say it is al talk and normally a bad shot that makes guys think that. All there vitals are forward in there body compared to are animals so on the shoulder is were I aim and ttsx have always give me an exit whole.

I would tell you to take your bow as Africa is great bow hunting even if you only take one or two animals it will be worth it. I always take both and will do so again hoping on my 7th trip in july

I would tell you to take your bow as Africa is great bow hunting even if you only take one or two animals it will be worth it. I always take both and will do so again hoping on my 7th trip in july
We took our a crossbow the first time we went because my wife was hunting as well and we did ok with it, but its a pain for a follow up shot. I have started practicing again with the old compound. That is an option as well.

If one can kill game in Africa, including buffaloes, with bow and arrows, crossbow, or sometimes with a muzzle loader and lead bullets, then it must also be possible with bullets such as Nosler Partitions, Winchester Silvertips or even Solids. Maybe I am missing something and there are other game and especially other buffaloes that are specifically suited for this purpose.

Hi, @19_A_CPT

IMG_3181.jpeg

Out of the three cartridges which you’ve illustrated… the 300Gr Nosler Partition Federal factory loads are the most suitable for the application which you mention. Nosler Partitions are a magnificent choice for all African plains game, any of the great cats and for BROADSIDE SHOTS (BUT NOT FRONTAL, DEPARTING OR QUARTERING AWAY SHOTS) on Cape buffalo.

Generally speaking, however… the best .375 Holland & Holland Magnum 300Gr factory load available on the current market today (for your preferred list of quarry) is the Barnes TSX. Absolutely amazing for plains game & Cape buffalo FROM ANY ANGLE. However, it’s not suitable for the great cats (but you didn’t list any of the great cats as a potential quarry, anyway).

Now, a couple of comments. The Winchester Super X 300Gr post 1970 Silver Tip factory loads which you have illustrated, should NEVER be employed on hunting ANY big game (let alone DANGEROUS ONES). Up until 1969; Winchester Silver Tips used to be manufactured with a proprietary jacket material that was composed of copper, nickel & zinc. They were an excellent choice of expanding bullet (the best available at the time). However; in 1970… Winchester (in a misguided & ill conceived attempt to reduce manufacturing costs) altered the Silver Tip jacket material to pure aluminum (which stayed this way until Winchester completely discontinued the Silver Tip line in 1999). These post 1970 Silver Tips had a nasty reputation for completely disintegrating upon striking even hardened muscles (let alone bone) of some big game. On my life’s first African safari to Kenya in 1974, I actually lost a gigantic male lion that I had shot on bait with a 300Gr Winchester Silver Tip factory load fired from a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. My white hunter, Mr. Cheffings eventually spoored & finished off the wounded lion on the next day. A postmortem revealed that I had made a perfect frontal chest shot, but the 300Gr Winchester Silver Tip bullet had completed blown apart & disintegrated into pieces without penetrating some four inches into the lion’s hardened chest muscles. I completed swore off Winchester Silver Tips ever since that day.

The Remington Klean Bore 300Gr post 1961 pre 1982 copper jacketed flat nosed FMJ solid factory loads which you have illustrated, were quite possibly the worst solid bullets ever to be designed for hunting dangerous game. The lead core of the bullets are not properly reinforced with more than a thin copper jacket. And the meplat is far too small. These bullets were dangerously prone to breaking in half at the cannelure, riveting or even completely disintegrating upon striking the heavy bones of elephant, hippopotamus or Cape buffalo. As amatter of fact, they were practically guaranteed to split open. Due to the small meplat, they would frequently deflect & not maintain a straight course either. My good friend, the late Dave Bourban lost a gigantic Cape buffalo in Botswana in 1980 after using these 300Gr Remington Klean Bore factory loads on the animal. Even after three shots to the shoulder bone/scapula, the brute was able to get away. The white hunter eventually sorted that Cape buffalo out, later during the day. A postmortem revealed the sorry state of Dave’s bullets (or rather, what was left of them) upon striking hard bone.

Winchester & Remington were both clearly sourcing the bullets for their .375 Holland & Holland Magnum solid/full metal case cartridges from the same supplier at the time. Here are some 1974 made Winchester Super Speed 300Gr copper jacketed flat nosed FMJ solid factory loads for comparison.

Observe the identical similarity in bullet shape & nose profile.
IMG_2105.jpeg

For this reason, Winchester & Remington both began to load their .375 Holland & Holland Magnum ammunition with 300Gr Hornady round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids starting from 1982 (all the way until they both ceased to load solid bullets for the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum in 1994). The Hornady round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids were good stuff.
IMG_1284.jpeg
IMG_1291.jpeg

Warmest Regards,
Habib

Last edited:

Attachments

• Federal 458 Win Mag 400 gr Trophy Bonded 20 rds NOS - Rifle Ammunition at GunBroker.com : 1041...pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • Federal 458 WinMag 400gr trophy - Rifle Ammunition at GunBroker.com : 1044157233.pdf
    589.2 KB · Views: 14
If one can kill game in Africa, including buffaloes, with bow and arrows, crossbow, or sometimes with a muzzle loader and lead bullets, then it must also be possible with bullets such as Nosler Partitions, Winchester Silvertips or even Solids. Maybe I am missing something and there are other game and especially other buffaloes that are specifically suited for this purpose.
Killing and ethically killing are two different things. I’m sure Winchester Silvertips were the best available at one time. That’s not the case today. A heavy bonded bullet like TBBC or swift A frame will penetrate through heavy bone on buffalo and perform reliably every single time. A non-bonded bullet might penetrate and kill ethically or it might fragment and break up and wound a buffalo depending on the shot angle. If a person can spend the money on a buffalo hunt, they can spend the money on the best available bullets. Speaking of muzzleloaders and lead bullets on buffalo, here is your example. The poacher just moved on an found a different buffalo. This was several weeks old at least and beginning to heal but highly infected.
IMG_4762.jpeg

4 different factory ammos with different bullets may also look like this on paper. You need to take ammo that all has the same or very close point of impact at 100 yards. This is 5 375 H&H 300 gr factory loads and one Hornady DGS handload for comparison at 100.
IMG_4755.jpeg

excellent resource on pricing for ammo and components is ammoseek dot com

Killing and ethically killing are two different things. I’m sure Winchester Silvertips were the best available at one time. That’s not the case today. A heavy bonded bullet like TBBC or swift A frame will penetrate through heavy bone on buffalo and perform reliably every single time. A non-bonded bullet might penetrate and kill ethically or it might fragment and break up and wound a buffalo depending on the shot angle. If a person can spend the money on a buffalo hunt, they can spend the money on the best available bullets. Speaking of muzzleloaders and lead bullets on buffalo, here is your example. The poacher just moved on an found a different buffalo. This was several weeks old at least and beginning to heal but highly infected.
4 different factory ammos with different bullets may also look like this on paper. You need to take ammo that all has the same or very close point of impact at 100 yards. This is 5 375 H&H 300 gr factory loads and one Hornady DGS handload for comparison at 100.

The post #44 was aimed primarily above all at professionals, absolute supporter for the use of premium bullets and opponents of solids for buffalo hunting, who will understand what is meant by it.

In the meantime I also know which bullets work better on buffaloes, but perhaps with the difference that, due to personal experience, I also know the working of other bullets and not always the most modern ones.

Easy button - ask your safari operator/PH - tell 'em what you're gonna shoot, and what you might shoot, and what you have to shoot 'em with.

They might give you one or two thumbs up, one or two thumbs down, perhaps even mention buying the ammo when you get there.

I just got back and shot a 43" buffalo with a 270 grain Hammer bullet. It was a head on shot at 80 yards. Destroyed lungs. One initial shot plus one insurance shot. Bullets not found. The PH wanted to know what bullet it was. Don't know if it is any better than similar type bullet. It is another option.
I used the 270 because it had the same POI as a Woodleigh Hydroshock. The 299 gr was a couple of inches off. My PH wanted solids as back up and I wasn't going to argue.
Years ago, I had great luck with 286 NP's in a 9.3x62 on plains game and would have no problem using it again for them. I would probably use something else on Buffalo.

37c4ebd3-1045-4453-ba01-3a6949623e90.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice boss on that bull. Congrats.

A very real post. I have no problem buying different ammo. Was just asking about the bullets I had before I went and bought more. I have looked at all the feedback and accept the fact that I do need to go find an alternative and that's not a problem at all.

I will do some searching locally for the TBBC or TSXs.

I appreciate all the feedback.
I think your 2 choices would be my 2 preferred. If I wanted 1 bullet for PG and buffalo, I'd go with TSX or TTSX depending on your caliber. If I was only shooting buffalo, TBBC.

I say that after shooting buffalo and lots of PG with only TBBC last year. They will certainly get the job done too.

Cutting Edge Bullets, Northforks and Peregrine BushMasters are my first choice for both expanding and solids.
I have found that the .375 calibre is too small of a diameter for solids on cape buffalo. ( I have killed 13 buffalo, with calibers from .375 to .577NE. All the buffalo that I killed with .500 and .577NE were, one shot, DRT. )
Brian

Personally I would go with a 150 grn in a 30'06, but again double check the hunting regulations as to minimum bullet diameter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MavisKessl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?