Best bullet for Africa

Planning phase for a venture to RSA for mostly plains game, however, I may throw in a Buffalo if the checkbook can process it.

Which bullet (if any of these) would be best for
1) All around plains
2) Buffalo

A)300 grain Silvertip
B)300 grain solids
C)300 grain Nosler Partition
Swift a frame

I also have 2x 10 round boxes of the Rifleline PPU in a round nose soft point that I forgot I had.

20240530_084442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's only the 3 boxes of factory ammo pictured...
Plains Game: Nosler Partition & Silver Tip.
Buffalo: Nosler Partitions with a solid or two under them in the magazine.

If there's leeway to buy extra factory ammo...
Plains Game: Nosler Partition & Silver Tip
Buffalo: Quality ammo loaded with 300gr Swift A-Frames or 270gr Barnes TSX bullets.

I also have 2x 10 round boxes of the Rifleline PPU in a round nose soft point that I forgot I had.
There is a reason this bullet didn’t make anyone’s suggested list. It is not bonded and possibly not reliable when it hits a buffalo’s shoulder. They are acceptable for PG or practice. I’m starting to doubt if this thread was started as a real post, but if it was, you are going to need to buy additional ammo anyway. You can’t practice and hunt with 20 rounds of PPU. All the ammo shown will have a different point of impact. If you are going to spend the money on a hunt buy some quality ammo. The difference in cheap bullets vs quality hunting bullets is only a $2 a bullet.

Planning phase for a venture to RSA for mostly plains game, however, I may throw in a Buffalo if the checkbook can process it.

1) All around plains
2) Buffalo

A)300 grain Silvertip
B)300 grain solids

I have to say if you gonna hunt a buff and whatever else on your safari you ptobably in for min $10k prob a lot more if you doing buff
Buy a couple boxes of quality ammo
May cost you another $2-300
This is money well spent
Use the old ammo u have for practicing

I would also be careful with these cartridges. In principle there is nothing wrong with using classic non-bonded SP bullets for buffalo hunting, but that depends on the caliber used and is reserved for very big bores, not for the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum. We use the cartridges of the picture in our countries rather for hunting wild boars.

1) All around plains
2) Buffalo

A)300 grain Silvertip
B)300 grain solids
I do not like any of your choices for the game you are hunting. Barnes TSX in 300 grain will take everything you are showing with good penetration and expansion. Unless you are hunting elephant you do not need solids

There is a reason this bullet didn’t make anyone’s suggested list. It is not bonded and possibly not reliable when it hits a buffalo’s shoulder. They are acceptable for PG or practice. I’m starting to doubt if this thread was started as a real post, but if it was, you are going to need to buy additional ammo anyway. You can’t practice and hunt with 20 rounds of PPU. All the ammo shown will have a different point of impact. If you are going to spend the money on a hunt buy some quality ammo. The difference in cheap bullets vs quality hunting bullets is only a $2 a bullet.
A very real post. I have no problem buying different ammo. Was just asking about the bullets I had before I went and bought more. I have looked at all the feedback and accept the fact that I do need to go find an alternative and that's not a problem at all.

I will do some searching locally for the TBBC or TSXs.

I appreciate all the feedback.

A very real post. I have no problem buying different ammo. Was just asking about the bullets I had before I went and bought more. I have looked at all the feedback and accept the fact that I do need to go find an alternative and that's not a problem at all.

I will do some searching locally for the TBBC or TSXs.

I appreciate all the feedback.
If you can't find those, you still have options. Hendershots can make you pretty much whatever you want. Just be prepared for lead time and price.

North Fork, TSX, and Hornady bonded DGX are easy to come by as components. So are Hammer Bullets. Swift A Frames have been unobtanium for quite a while, and things aren't looking any better for them.

If you go with Hammer, get the Shock Hammer, not the Hammer Hunter.

Attachments

If you can't find those, you still have options. Hendershots can make you pretty much whatever you want. Just be prepared for lead time and price.

North Fork, TSX, and Hornady bonded DGX are easy to come by as components. So are Hammer Bullets. Swift A Frames have been unobtanium for quite a while, and things aren't looking any better for them.

If you go with Hammer, get the Shock Hammer, not the Hammer Hunter.
I actually found swift A frames and got the 3 boxes I ordered maybe 2 weeks ago now. $119 a box. Probably best to call first and confirm still in stock though.

Attachments

None of the three use them for preparation for the trip.....particularly for the buffalo....

The bullet is the only part that touches the animal and it is what you need to reliably kill that animal, all the ones you have posted I would not use....bar the solids on tiny ten.... buy the best availible.....there is a very valid saying.....penny wise pound foolish.....

1) All around plains
2) Buffalo

A)300 grain Silvertip
B)300 grain solids

1) Any will work.. A, B, or C... take your pick...
2) I personally wouldnt consider any of your listed options.. Go with a known tough, deep straight line penetrating bonded or mono metal 300 gr or heavier.. A-Frames, TTSX, TBBC, etc..

1) All around plains
2) Buffalo

A)300 grain Silvertip
B)300 grain solids

I've done this hunt multiple times with 375 (buffalo and random PG) and have been very successful with 300 TSX. It literally covers all scenarios and big to small animals. TSX is easy to find if you reload and good factory TSX ammo is available and easy to find. Your bullet is arguably the most important part of your hunt. Use the others for practice but load something like TSX for the main event.

Since Buffalo is a strong possibility then, if you can find them, I would insist on Swift A-Frame 300 grain.
And to avoid tedium related errors, I would use only those for my entire list of species as well.

If you become absolutely positive that you will not be hunting a buffalo then, almost any 300 grain soft nose bullet at .375 H&H factory speed, will work extremely well (ask me how I know).:ROFLMAO:
However that said, I have found the old Winchester Silver Tip bullet in all calibers I’ve used, to be very fragile, sometimes shattering on impact against bones.
So, I will be so bold as to suggest you avoid using them on large animals, with thick bones (eland, waterbuck, zebra, etc).

Cheers.

I actually found swift A frames and got the 3 boxes I ordered maybe 2 weeks ago now. $119 a box. Probably best to call first and confirm still in stock though.
I am also a fan of Swift A Frames. between Barnes and them hard to beat

The only problem with Swift is you can't always find them. You can usually find TSX to reload or in factory ammo. For me, it's a supply chain question. I use both (and a few others) but can usually get TSX so I use them the most. Most PHs say bring TSX or A-frames and we will be just fine. I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidTaine

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?