Bear got into my bee hives, pistol suggestion?

Up the power on the fence, add a few more strands and wet the ground. My bet is Boo Boo never returns.
The suggested design for for Bear deterrence and Bee hives in our area.

Use the 375 if the bear remains a PIA.
View attachment 469492
I like this, boost the amperage to the point of well done, if there are no other people around.
Your .375 is a great choice, if a bear is causing me problems on my property, the bear goes. We have enough maulings each year by bears a lot on people just out enjoying the mtns. that I’m not a bear lover. I have a friend who’s sheep herder was attacked in his own camp by a grizzly A few years ago. The herder was able to kill the bear & escape injury, but it could have been bad. For some it doesn’t end well. Bears are dangerous period. Blacks & Grizz!

I really appreciate all of the input. Thank you Gentlemen for your sage advice.

The bear continues to grace the area with daytime bird feeder visits. The word is out so hopefully my neighbors will remove attractants. The DNR is not interested to remove the bear, which didn’t surprise me (a neighbor called).

Once I got past my initial desire for frontier justice, I reread the posts above. I’ve elected to upgrade my electric fence (which seems to have been working since I installed it). I’ll also forgo a pistol and just keep a rifle close at hand. It makes sense to use what I know in the event of actual need. And if I’m going to shoot, it is not to just scare it or pepper it’s behind. I really don’t want an injured bear in the area. If I can only convince my spouse that I need a double rifle for bee defense…

Finally, I had a nice talk with the bees and suggested that they consider a preemptive strike should the bruin get close to the fence.

I’ve been told that bees sting because they know the value of honey. I hope that initial encounter has the bear giving them a 50 yard berth.

If I can only convince my spouse that I need a double rifle for bee defense.
This had me laughing out loud. Although technically, I believe it would be “defense of bee’s”. Still don’t think rewording will find double gun approval, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Best of luck with it.

Have you ever thought of spraying the ground around the hives with capsaicin bear spray? It has worked for me in the past people don't enjoy the smell so I'd imagine a bear would be most averse.

I have heard that spraying bear spray around like that is ineffective and often counter-productive.

I have heard that spraying bear spray around like that is ineffective and often counter-productive.

That is my understanding as well.

Have you ever thought of spraying the ground around the hives with capsaicin bear spray? It has worked for me in the past people don't enjoy the smell so I'd imagine a bear would be most averse.
Honey bees can be killed by the capsaicin in the bear spray, causing more harm than good.

I try to avoid any chemicals with my bees. The honey is extracted and jarred raw. We do single source honey, so we get different flavors throughout the summer.
Bear spray might give it a spicy aftertaste!

One of the hives swarmed last weekend. They balled up in a tree next to the bee yard. I climbed 20’ in a tree with a cardboard box and a 4 tine garden rake and gently raked the swarm of bees into the box. I’d estimate there were well over 10,000 bees in the box (3500 bees per pound, definitely multiple pounds in the box).
I then had to climb down with the box and dump the swarm back into a new hive. Now I have a new top ten “excitement” category.
1: childbirth (all the important things in your life are right there and you don’t have any control)
2: elephant hunting (25 yards is about 50 yards closer than my safety zone)
3: hippo hunting on land (see above)
4: alpine ski racing the downhill (80 mph on skis?)
5: removing a bee swarm from 20’ in a tree.

We had a swarm get into our attic this year. I’ve never seen so many bees. You couldn’t have gotten that many bees from 10 of our hives. It had to be one of the wild swarms from an old building or tree.

My experience differs from this a little. A bear under 300 lbs is still tougher then a whitetail, but agree 100% they are effectively taken with deer rifles all the time.

Stopping a big 500-650lbs monster like we have in the coast of BC and occasionally on my farm in Quebec is a very different animal. I don’t want to “hunt” them with much under a 30-06 and prefer a 338, 35 or 375 to “stop” them.

At close range a 12g pump with a round of 000 in the chamber and a bunch of slugs in the tube is my first choice.
If you are facing a very large one at close range, I’d bag the first round of 000 buck shot and opt for a slugs greater penetration ability. Just my preference.

Like almost all hunting, the key is good placement with that all important first shot. Do that and even the large ones end up as a rug quite quickly, even with moderate rifle cartridges.

Buck shot is useless

9.3x74R/12ga slug combination would also be perfect...

My 9.3x74R/12ga combination loaded with Brenneke slugs in the 12ga barrel will be a close second

.375 Holland & Holland Magnum with 300Gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

I like how this thread has devolved into "what caliber to use for black bear". :ROFLMAO:

I like how this thread has devolved into "what caliber to use for black bear". :ROFLMAO:
For a second there it was headed towards solving the problem in a manner that wouldn't kill the bear. I guess people got impatient. Skipped over conventional calibers and went for the safari jugular...not that I have any experience in that department. :E Lol: :A Outta:

For a second there it was headed towards solving the problem in a manner that wouldn't kill the bear. I guess people got impatient. Skipped over conventional calibers and went for the safari jugular...not that I have any experience in that department. :E Lol: :A Outta:
Yes. Absolutely. And only using a CRF, double square bridge, with QD scope, barrel banded front sling swivel, barrel band front sight, express rear sight with at least 3 folding leaves, proper timber stock with 2 cross bolts and a 3-position safety in a non-rimmed caliber starting with a 4...and a magazine capacity of 5+1.

:A Stirring::A Popcorn:

Yes. Absolutely. And only using a CRF, double square bridge, with QD scope, barrel banded front sling swivel, barrel band front sight, express rear sight with at least 3 folding leaves, proper timber stock with 2 cross bolts and a 3-position safety in a non-rimmed caliber starting with a 4...and a magazine capacity of 5+1.

Oh I thought it had to be a Sechszei-Fuchs Double Bolt Action Rifle...with night vision goggles, IR laser and a suppressor. Oh the hideousness of that combination!

Wait s minute, did my budget just go up? I though I was going to get to BORROW a double from @IvW and now I have to buy a special one.

It may not be cheaper to buy a new rifle for a bear I’m not going to shoot, but the logic is solid to me. Reinforcing my electric fence was about $20. Explaining to my wife why I need $10k+ for a special rifle to defend our bees… I got this!

Unless the bear is attacking you ( and you better be bleeding when authorities show up) it is best to use non-lethal means of deterrence. I live in bear country and have had good luck with rubber buckshot in my 12 gauge. I have never had the same bear come back after receiving a hit from it. Mission accomplished and bear finds a new place to forage and a healthy (for it anyway) fear of humans. Bear is just doing what comes natural, bears love honey too. Good luck with dealing with your natural neighbors. Bears are not good or bad, they are just hungry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt