Bear got into my bee hives, pistol suggestion?

Black Bear are not particularly difficult to kill. Any sensible deer cartridge with a decent bullet will do. They can get heavier than a deer. For close range work, a 30-30 class cartridge comes to mind, in a shot gun slugs not buckshot 20 ga. and up, and 10mm and up in pistols, is where I land.

Largest Black Bear I have seen killed dropped to a 180gr JHP out of a 10mm at about 80 yards. About a 475 pound animal, most are much smaller, a few can be larger. I generally carry a 270 Win or 280 or 7mm-08 for them with 130-160 grain bullets as shots can be long where I hunt, otherwise a 30-30 Win or 35 REM would suffice.

I’d have zero issue with a 20 or 12 gauge with slugs for hive defense as that would seem to be very close work.
My experience differs from this a little. A bear under 300 lbs is still tougher then a whitetail, but agree 100% they are effectively taken with deer rifles all the time.

Stopping a big 500-650lbs monster like we have in the coast of BC and occasionally on my farm in Quebec is a very different animal. I don’t want to “hunt” them with much under a 30-06 and prefer a 338, 35 or 375 to “stop” them.

At close range a 12g pump with a round of 000 in the chamber and a bunch of slugs in the tube is my first choice.

First, I would definitely contact DNR. If they do say you can kill it, use your rifle. If you’re afraid you’re going to encounter a bear while working the hives, bear spray or a handgun may give you peace of mind.
It sounds like you’re not very familiar with handguns. If you do purchase a handgun, a .44 mag or larger is the way to go and practice, practice, practice. Other rounds to consider are the .45 LC and the .480 Ruger. Larger than a .44 (.454 Casull, .460 S&W, .500 S&W) recoil may be a bit much.
I was an avid handgun hunter. Several years ago, I (unsuccessfully… didn’t see one worth shooting) with a .475 Linebaugh handgun, but would have been comfortable using a .44.
For a non lethal option, I like the blunt arrow idea, but you have to be an archer.

You literally just described what every bear hunter has to do when they climb down from a stand in front of the bait in the dark. Many times the bait has 3-4 bears on it and you just have to sneak on past. The only difference is they don't shoot the bear in the dark because their too afraid to walk past.
I understand what your saying. But these bears would literally scratch at our blinds with us in it. Unnerving. I imagine someone bear hunting has better nerves then we did because they know what they're in for.

I understand what your saying. But these bears would literally scratch at our blinds with us in it. Unnerving. I imagine someone bear hunting has better nerves then we did because they know what they're in for.
I suppose
I got this one at 10 feet with a 4 inch RedHawk
62490FE3-1FD1-407D-AE29-D437944681E4.jpeg

Depending where you live, unless you have a problem animal tag, you could be looking at a huge fine if you shoot a bear out of season. I wouldn't do it, unless attacked and could prove my life was in danger. I used to spend a lot of time in the Bob Marshall wilderness area. I carried a gun and had more than one close call with grizzlies, but never had to use it. If I did there would've been a ton of hassle proving I needed to shoot it. I had a license for this one.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can legally kill the bear, then use the best short-range bear cartridge that you have.

If you can't get legal permission, then hit it with 12 gauge rubber 00 buckshot from 20-30 yards away. Chances are that it won't be back.

As much as a rig seems like a good idea I'm not sure of the rules there.

A question about bear behaviour. Is this bear likely to teach others about these hives or bring other bears in to it?

Why not?
44 mag and larger is plenty for black bear under 25 yards.
J. D. Jones took elephant with a 44 mag way back when. I remember seeing the video he made.

A question about bear behaviour. Is this bear likely to teach others about these hives or bring other bears in to it?
A sow will teach her cubs about any easy pickings.

my suggestion, @john Harvard has the right idea,

don't ask questions to people that will get you on their radar. i already know you would not like the answer they tell you.

my program is to shoot em in the butt with a pretty stout air rifle, their second strike is a 300 blk, with a suppressor. so far, no bear has needed more than one strike.
Please read all my reply. I am Not advocating shooting bears for bees. I am promoting electric fencing.
putting a trouble making animal down should always be a last resort

A sow will teach her cubs about any easy pickings.
IMG_5909.MOV
If it will open, that’s me using bear spray on a young bull moose

A co-worker recently told me about a bear deterrent trick. You hang a full can of spray paint smeared in grease or PB up high enough so a bear can only grab it with its teeth. When he punctures the can and gets a mouthful of paint you supposedly won't see it again. It would be fun to try at least.

people feel safe with the mighty 44 mag pistol BUT, it has about the. same energy as the old military 30 carbine, and no one wants that for bear medicine! Do it right or don't bother.

IMO - Beef up the electric fence and contact DNR for an appropriate course of action to relieve yourself of the possible legal burden.

IMO part 2...have the 375 handy for "just in case". If you want a pistol, get some professional training and make an informed decision on type, caliber, brand...etc. You need to be comfortable with not only the pistol, but the method of carry and how to put it into action. Muscle memory is real and it's all you will have in a defensive fighting situation. Generally, rifles are for aimed hunting shots, pistols are instinctive shooting.

BTW - I know I'm telling you things you already know. Best of luck with the problem and I'd gladly trade you something for bit-o-honey. Cheers mate.

If you get the right fence charger you’ll be fine. I have a 25 mile Zareba that I take very serious and have warned all family members not to chance it being on or playing a trick on anyone. It flashes 5 lights on a 5000 volt tester like a flipping camera flash and pop. I nearly drop the tester every time I test it and I know what it does.
I contacted the fence once while weed eating and end up sitting in a pale cold sweat hoping my heart would settle down so I could go to the house. Felt like getting hit in the chest with a ball bat. My horses can hear or sense it and won’t get near it if on. Make sure you have an excellent ground.

At my bush camp in BC, we have black bears in our yard nearly every week. These pics of black bears and one young grizzly were taken from our front porch. All our neighbours regularly deal with bears. Quite a few bears get shot as nuisance animals, my hunting buddy shot 6 problem bears last year at the request of our local conservation officer. In my opinion, an electric fence properly set up is by far the best deterrent. Bears are trainable. They don't need to be shot if they are properly "deterred". Also, a handgun is the worst possible choice of firearm compared to a rifle or shotgun if you actually have to shoot a bear. You've never owned a handgun and think you can hit a bear properly in the vitals while under stress with a relatively low powered cartridge? Don't bet your well being on that. And a pistol for personal bear defence? Well that may provide some peace of mind in Grizzly country but is not actually very useful in black bear habitat.

IMG_5919.jpeg
P1000067.jpeg
P1000016.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TangelaSel

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]