Bear got into my bee hives, pistol suggestion?

I shot 200lbs black bear when I was 14 with a 45 ACP and hardball 230grs …. It ran a long way after I emptied 7 round in his direction. I think I hit it 4 times.

I also shot one with a Freedom arms 45 LC and 280gr hardcast flat noose. It was under 300 lbs and DRT.

A 357, 10mm and 41 mag are maybe ok on little bears but I shot a 500lbs one fall with a 7mm Rem Mag and it’s a different animal. I would stick with a 44 mag or hot loaded 45 LC to be safer.

When I hunted Bighorn sheep a few years ago my guide told me about “training “ his bears to leave the camp alone. One trick was to smear a little peanut butter on a hot electric fence wire. When the bear put his nose on the wire……. We’ll he said the whole camp heard the commotion.
Bruce

A handgun is not a wise choice for someone unfamiliar with them to sort out a bear. Stick with the rifle you know if you're determined to eliminate the problem.

Looks like MN law is vague, but your on the right rack talking to the DNR. If hes a repeat offender causing damage, that may put it over the line depending on the local wardens call:

Can I shoot a problem bear?

Homeowners and farmowners kill the majority of nuisance bears, which is allowed in state law. This option can only be used if the bear is causing significant property damage or creating an immediate danger to people or animals. (Destroying a bird feeder or unsecured trash cans is not a viable reason to shoot a bear.)

Before you shoot a bear, ask yourself if you have taken all of the necessary precautions to prevent the situation and if killing the animal is your only solution. Call your DNR Area Wildlife Manager to discuss the situation.

When a bear is shot by a property owner it should be reported as soon as possible to a conservation officer (DNR’s TIP Line, 800-652-9093, is available 24/7) so the meat can be salvaged. By law, it must be reported within 48 hours. The property owner may not keep the bear. Bears are the property of the State of Minnesota.

The property owner may not keep the bear. Bears are the property of the State of Minnesota

TTundra,

All good information. Have to just comment on part of it. It shows the arrogance of government and politicians, In reality the Bears are the property of the PEOPLE of the state of Minnesota. Just a peeve of mine.

JP

Most states have laws governing how to deal with animals committing acts of depredation. Like others said, check with your game wardens, but even in commie Minnesota, I'd expect similar laws on depredation as we have here in Texas.

If you had to kill it while messing with your bees, I expect the law will require you to call the DNR folks to come remove it. It ain't hunting season, so you won't likely get to keep the meat.

The property owner may not keep the bear. Bears are the property of the State of Minnesota

TTundra,

All good information. Have to just comment on part of it. It shows the arrogance of government and politicians, In reality the Bears are the property of the PEOPLE of the state of Minnesota. Just a peeve of mine.

JP
I think most DNR/Warden agencies have that regulation to prevent people from more willingly/often taking game citing nuisance reasons with a potential nefarious purpose of using that as justification for taking game they want out of season. Certainly belong to the people though.

Cheaper option for self defense is bear spray. If you aren't good with a handgun then realistically you are more likely to deter a bear with spray i.e. it's easier to use.

If you want to kill the bear then use a long gun.

.44 Remington Magnum +P+ 340gr. Flat Nose Gas Check Hi-Tek Coated Hard Cast Hunting Ammo​

I have used these once before and they work as expected.

HH

"If you want to kill the bear then use a long gun."

Well said.

Well a rifle wouldn't work either ...
But you've got a lot better chance of hitting something important with three points of contact on a rilfe rather than just one with a handgun... Believe me, I'd love to have a .44 magnum if a bear were attacking me but I just wouldn't start anything at close range with a pistol.

But you've got a lot better chance of hitting something important with three points of contact on a rilfe rather than just one with a handgun... Believe me, I'd love to have a .44 magnum if a bear were attacking me but I just wouldn't start anything at close range with a pistol.
to each their own. I have personally hunted black bear with a handgun. I will certainly do it again.

Last edited:
Black Bear are not particularly difficult to kill. Any sensible deer cartridge with a decent bullet will do. They can get heavier than a deer. For close range work, a 30-30 class cartridge comes to mind, in a shot gun slugs not buckshot 20 ga. and up, and 10mm and up in pistols, is where I land.

Largest Black Bear I have seen killed dropped to a 180gr JHP out of a 10mm at about 80 yards. About a 475 pound animal, most are much smaller, a few can be larger. I generally carry a 270 Win or 280 or 7mm-08 for them with 130-160 grain bullets as shots can be long where I hunt, otherwise a 30-30 Win or 35 REM would suffice.

I’d have zero issue with a 20 or 12 gauge with slugs for hive defense as that would seem to be very close work.

Last edited:
Im echoing things already said but... Use this as excuse for a lever action 45-70 with short barrel. It'll do the job. Then drag the bastard into the woods and dont talk about it. Once you ask game warden, its to late.

I was on a hunting lease where we couldnt shoot black bears due to the land owner (IP) but were legal to shoot in that zone during deer season. These bears seem to have no fear of humans. We tried the salt loaded shotgun shells but they kept coming back and would walk up to base of your stand and just hang out. The whole camp agreed, shoot one and we'll help you load it in your truck and tag it as shooting it next property over. Was it legal? Was it against the lease? Sure, but walking out over a feed pile at dark was some nerve racking shit. Shoot, shovel, shut up has worked for generations if you have room and farm equipment.

Im echoing things already said but... Use this as excuse for a lever action 45-70 with short barrel. It'll do the job. Then drag the bastard into the woods and dont talk about it. Once you ask game warden, its to late.

I was on a hunting lease where we couldnt shoot black bears due to the land owner (IP) but were legal to shoot in that zone during deer season. These bears seem to have no fear of humans. We tried the salt loaded shotgun shells but they kept coming back and would walk up to base of your stand and just hang out. The whole camp agreed, shoot one and we'll help you load it in your truck and tag it as shooting it next property over. Was it legal? Was it against the lease? Sure, but walking out over a feed pile at dark was some nerve racking shit. Shoot, shovel, shut up has worked for generations if you have room and farm equipment.
You literally just described what every bear hunter has to do when they climb down from a stand in front of the bait in the dark. Many times the bait has 3-4 bears on it and you just have to sneak on past. The only difference is they don't shoot the bear in the dark because their too afraid to walk past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShantellMc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]