Back country carry gun

@Neophyte - Funny ! Hey, the “Red tape” makes sense for locating it on the ground etc.. and I actually do that with my Cell phone and a hatchet handle etc…. But, my Son constantly makes fun of Me for that type of stuff. How do you like your 10mm? I’ve read a lot about the round and it’s very popular the last 5 years. A friend in Montana purchased a 10mm for Bear Protection even though he already owned a very nice S&W model 29-2 with 6” barrel. He gets caught up in finding the “perfect” gun for every chore and I thought he already had a damn good bear gun in the Smith. After 3 years he has still Never carried either when fishing or hiking in Griz areas - even though he’s seen a couple griz while fishing. I was No better when I went on a Griz hunt in Alaska years ago, decided I “needed” a .44 w/4” so got Smith Mountain gun and nice holster. Wore it daily and every night it was in my tent next to my sleeping bag. The only time I took it off - was when we actually spotted a nice Griz on a hillside 1/2 a mile away and decided to stalk it on snowshoes. I figured I had enough to weight carry with my rifle and small daypack (going up & down hills on snowshoes) so I left it on the snowmobile. I was hardly UNprotected with my .375H&H plus my Guide and his .338 wm but it did seem a bit stupid to have carried it al all-other-times “except” when there was a Griz nearby.
I love the 10mm.
It’s a lot faster handling than my S&W Model 58 or 6” 57. I learned a long time ago to do what works and anyone that laughs I just worry about doing me.
I still pack the 58 sometimes but I much prefer bottom feeders. Usually it’s a Beretta M9A4 or 96A1, but if I need deeper concealment it’s a S&W 4013, or if I really need deep concealment a pair of J Frames.
I think the 10mm and 357 Sig are the two best auto loading cartridges out there for defense. Be it bears or bipedal aggressors. I carry the Beretta 9mm because I like the platform but I’m very selective in my ammo choices. I like the 115 grain +P+ JHP in 9mm for bipedal aggressors.
The 10mm is great for bipedal aggressors but, as Harold Fish learned, not always well thought of by a “jury of your peers.” That’s why prefer the 9mm and 40 S&W in my town guns.
The Glock is light enough that I have no excuse to not carry it compared to a steel revolver. Recoil is minimal compared to the .41 Magnum. The .41 Magnum is the largest cartridge I can reliably handle one handed so that’s why I pack it instead of a .44 Magnum. Often in a defensive situation you will be shooting one handed.

I like a Glock 20 in a gunfighter’s inc chest holster

I love the 10mm.
It’s a lot faster handling than my S&W Model 58 or 6” 57. I learned a long time ago to do what works and anyone that laughs I just worry about doing me.
I still pack the 58 sometimes but I much prefer bottom feeders. Usually it’s a Beretta M9A4 or 96A1, but if I need deeper concealment it’s a S&W 4013, or if I really need deep concealment a pair of J Frames.
I think the 10mm and 357 Sig are the two best auto loading cartridges out there for defense. Be it bears or bipedal aggressors. I carry the Beretta 9mm because I like the platform but I’m very selective in my ammo choices. I like the 115 grain +P+ JHP in 9mm for bipedal aggressors.
The 10mm is great for bipedal aggressors but, as Harold Fish learned, not always well thought of by a “jury of your peers.” That’s why prefer the 9mm and 40 S&W in my town guns.
The Glock is light enough that I have no excuse to not carry it compared to a steel revolver. Recoil is minimal compared to the .41 Magnum. The .41 Magnum is the largest cartridge I can reliably handle one handed so that’s why I pack it instead of a .44 Magnum. Often in a defensive situation you will be shooting one handed.
@Neophyte - do you like the .41mag on Smith’s “N” frame? I guess there is really no alternative since that’s the only frame S&W used but I always thought it would’ve been better if Smith made a completely new frame for the .41 mag, somewhere in between their .357 K frame and .44 mag N frame. Also, since the .41 mags are built on the same heavy N frame as the .44mag—-might as well just go with a .44 mag because recoil is only marginally less. For a .41 mag I like the older S&W model 57, 1970s/80s when Smith still did excellent high luster bluing and smooth triggers….but even the cheaper made-for-police Model 58 is OK. It is a fairly rare caliber that never really caught on and was largely discontinued - although developed for Law Enforcement - most Departments never adopted it because most officers could Not handle the recoil.

@Neophyte - do you like the .41mag on Smith’s “N” frame? I guess there is really no alternative since that’s the only frame S&W used but I always thought it would’ve been better if Smith made a completely new frame for the .41 mag, somewhere in between their .357 K frame and .44 mag N frame. Also, since the .41 mags are built on the same heavy N frame as the .44mag—-might as well just go with a .44 mag because recoil is only marginally less. For a .41 mag I like the older S&W model 57, 1970s/80s when Smith still did excellent high luster bluing and smooth triggers….but even the cheaper made-for-police Model 58 is OK. It is a fairly rare caliber that never really caught on and was largely discontinued - although developed for Law Enforcement - most Departments never adopted it because most officers could Not handle the recoil.
Like you I think something between the K and N frame would have been a better option.

In the original police loading recoil wasn’t bad. Especially in the N Frame. The problem was the hunting and police loading at the time used a 210 grain SWC bullet and the pencil pushers that ordered ammo often ordered the hunting ammo instead of the police loading.

Mr. Elmer intended for something lighter than the N Frame that S&W put it in. I think the L Frame would be a great platform for the .41 Magnum. There is enough difference between .41 and .44 loadings that I personally opt for the .41 Magnum as it’s the largest load I’m willing to carry that I remain competent with one handed.

I carry a 357 Mag 8 shot revolver or a 44 Magnum in my area. Bear spray is a more effective option for the bear.

If you're committed to semiauto then get a 10 mm with hot loads, like the 40. The added velocity for a longer barrel will be more effective.

I'm not recoil sensitive so I prefer larger grain 357 or 44 Magnum. If I were in Grizzly country, still would prefer bear spray but I'd bring my 500 S&W or 460 XVR with 350 or 400 grain bullets.

I like my 329 PD S&W. I have a ruger Alaskan in 454 and it shoots good. It is heavy as hell though. I bought it when it first came out, when it arrived I was surprised at the weight and it never really grew on me.
The 329 is super light and a good shooter. You forget it’s on you but always know it’s there.
Another packing gun that I really like is the 2-1/2” Redhawk in 41 Mag. The guys at the office bought it for me last year for my bday and I love it. I am kind of partial to the 41 though.
View attachment 250416
I want to work at your office - that 41 mag is awesome!

I carry a 357 Mag 8 shot revolver or a 44 Magnum in my area. Bear spray is a more effective option for the bear.

If you're committed to semiauto then get a 10 mm with hot loads, like the 40. The added velocity for a longer barrel will be more effective.

I'm not recoil sensitive so I prefer larger grain 357 or 44 Magnum. If I were in Grizzly country, still would prefer bear spray but I'd bring my 500 S&W or 460 XVR with 350 or 400 grain bullets.
@Sheidor: How many Bear attacks have you ended with a handgun? Which handgun did you use? Same question regarding bear spray that is “more effective?
I’ve never been attacked by a Bear so what I carry is only based on what-I’ve-read along with my own personal opinion….so not worth much

I carry bear spray when walking my dog but have not had occasion to use it on a bear.

If given a choice between bear spray or a firearm I’ll take a suitable firearm. I have however had occasion to use bear spray on a drunk anal orifice that wanted to beat me about the head and shoulders. The first half of the can made him sit down. I sprayed him directly in the face from less than three feet away. The second half of the can, from less than two feet, kept him down.

I proceeded to call emergency services, 911, to summon someone to bring his new jewelry, stainless steel, and new accommodations, the grey bar hotel, and told the emergency services operator that if he came at me again I was going to revoke his birth certificate.

I could have legally shot him and articulated my reasons for doing so but I really didn’t want to put up with the hassle of going through another investigation, possibility of going to trial, and the fickleness of a jury. That’s too many variables with a bad outcome for me if things didn’t go my way.

So in conclusion I can say that bear spray works on heavily intoxicated bipedal aggressors that are trying to inflict harm on my personage with their fist. With my health conditions and size disparity between us I would have been justified in shooting him. I’m just glad I didn’t have to.

I carry bear spray when walking my dog but have not had occasion to use it on a bear.

If given a choice between bear spray or a firearm I’ll take a suitable firearm. I have however had occasion to use bear spray on a drunk anal orifice that wanted to beat me about the head and shoulders. The first half of the can made him sit down. I sprayed him directly in the face from less than three feet away. The second half of the can, from less than two feet, kept him down.

I proceeded to call emergency services, 911, to summon someone to bring his new jewelry, stainless steel, and new accommodations, the grey bar hotel, and told the emergency services operator that if he came at me again I was going to revoke his birth certificate.

I could have legally shot him and articulated my reasons for doing so but I really didn’t want to put up with the hassle of going through another investigation, possibility of going to trial, and the fickleness of a jury. That’s too many variables with a bad outcome for me if things didn’t go my way.

So in conclusion I can say that bear spray works on heavily intoxicated bipedal aggressors that are trying to inflict harm on my personage with their fist. With my health conditions and size disparity between us I would have been justified in shooting him. I’m just glad I didn’t have to.
@Neophyte - thanks for the funny tale. We both seem to have the same Zero Experience on handling a Bear Attack….and I too would have less trust in “spray”.
Based on what I’ve read and also was told by Park Rangers at Yellowstone & Glacier - spray is less effective in a “real Attack” but good for chasing away a bear getting too close for comfort. The reason the Rangers gave me for Parks advocating people to carry “Spray” vs. firearms is because they fear too many people will shoot unnecessarily and harm bears that don’t require that level of defensive action. Bear Spray protects Bears from needlessly being killed but is less effective during an actual Attack. Who knows?? I have ZERO direct experience so I add No Value….just another opinion.

@Neophyte - thanks for the funny tale. We both seem to have the same Zero Experience on handling a Bear Attack….”

Yup, I have zero experience handling a bear attack with pepper spray. I keep it for curious and non aggressive bears. It’s good for that from what my friends report.

For aggressive bears the only proper response, IMHO, is lethal in nature.

Just a pic.

IMG_1815.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaGasto

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]