Back country carry gun

@Neophyte - Funny ! Hey, the “Red tape” makes sense for locating it on the ground etc.. and I actually do that with my Cell phone and a hatchet handle etc…. But, my Son constantly makes fun of Me for that type of stuff. How do you like your 10mm? I’ve read a lot about the round and it’s very popular the last 5 years. A friend in Montana purchased a 10mm for Bear Protection even though he already owned a very nice S&W model 29-2 with 6” barrel. He gets caught up in finding the “perfect” gun for every chore and I thought he already had a damn good bear gun in the Smith. After 3 years he has still Never carried either when fishing or hiking in Griz areas - even though he’s seen a couple griz while fishing. I was No better when I went on a Griz hunt in Alaska years ago, decided I “needed” a .44 w/4” so got Smith Mountain gun and nice holster. Wore it daily and every night it was in my tent next to my sleeping bag. The only time I took it off - was when we actually spotted a nice Griz on a hillside 1/2 a mile away and decided to stalk it on snowshoes. I figured I had enough to weight carry with my rifle and small daypack (going up & down hills on snowshoes) so I left it on the snowmobile. I was hardly UNprotected with my .375H&H plus my Guide and his .338 wm but it did seem a bit stupid to have carried it al all-other-times “except” when there was a Griz nearby.
I love the 10mm.
It’s a lot faster handling than my S&W Model 58 or 6” 57. I learned a long time ago to do what works and anyone that laughs I just worry about doing me.
I still pack the 58 sometimes but I much prefer bottom feeders. Usually it’s a Beretta M9A4 or 96A1, but if I need deeper concealment it’s a S&W 4013, or if I really need deep concealment a pair of J Frames.
I think the 10mm and 357 Sig are the two best auto loading cartridges out there for defense. Be it bears or bipedal aggressors. I carry the Beretta 9mm because I like the platform but I’m very selective in my ammo choices. I like the 115 grain +P+ JHP in 9mm for bipedal aggressors.
The 10mm is great for bipedal aggressors but, as Harold Fish learned, not always well thought of by a “jury of your peers.” That’s why prefer the 9mm and 40 S&W in my town guns.
The Glock is light enough that I have no excuse to not carry it compared to a steel revolver. Recoil is minimal compared to the .41 Magnum. The .41 Magnum is the largest cartridge I can reliably handle one handed so that’s why I pack it instead of a .44 Magnum. Often in a defensive situation you will be shooting one handed.

I like a Glock 20 in a gunfighter’s inc chest holster

I love the 10mm.
It’s a lot faster handling than my S&W Model 58 or 6” 57. I learned a long time ago to do what works and anyone that laughs I just worry about doing me.
I still pack the 58 sometimes but I much prefer bottom feeders. Usually it’s a Beretta M9A4 or 96A1, but if I need deeper concealment it’s a S&W 4013, or if I really need deep concealment a pair of J Frames.
I think the 10mm and 357 Sig are the two best auto loading cartridges out there for defense. Be it bears or bipedal aggressors. I carry the Beretta 9mm because I like the platform but I’m very selective in my ammo choices. I like the 115 grain +P+ JHP in 9mm for bipedal aggressors.
The 10mm is great for bipedal aggressors but, as Harold Fish learned, not always well thought of by a “jury of your peers.” That’s why prefer the 9mm and 40 S&W in my town guns.
The Glock is light enough that I have no excuse to not carry it compared to a steel revolver. Recoil is minimal compared to the .41 Magnum. The .41 Magnum is the largest cartridge I can reliably handle one handed so that’s why I pack it instead of a .44 Magnum. Often in a defensive situation you will be shooting one handed.
@Neophyte - do you like the .41mag on Smith’s “N” frame? I guess there is really no alternative since that’s the only frame S&W used but I always thought it would’ve been better if Smith made a completely new frame for the .41 mag, somewhere in between their .357 K frame and .44 mag N frame. Also, since the .41 mags are built on the same heavy N frame as the .44mag—-might as well just go with a .44 mag because recoil is only marginally less. For a .41 mag I like the older S&W model 57, 1970s/80s when Smith still did excellent high luster bluing and smooth triggers….but even the cheaper made-for-police Model 58 is OK. It is a fairly rare caliber that never really caught on and was largely discontinued - although developed for Law Enforcement - most Departments never adopted it because most officers could Not handle the recoil.

@Neophyte - do you like the .41mag on Smith’s “N” frame? I guess there is really no alternative since that’s the only frame S&W used but I always thought it would’ve been better if Smith made a completely new frame for the .41 mag, somewhere in between their .357 K frame and .44 mag N frame. Also, since the .41 mags are built on the same heavy N frame as the .44mag—-might as well just go with a .44 mag because recoil is only marginally less. For a .41 mag I like the older S&W model 57, 1970s/80s when Smith still did excellent high luster bluing and smooth triggers….but even the cheaper made-for-police Model 58 is OK. It is a fairly rare caliber that never really caught on and was largely discontinued - although developed for Law Enforcement - most Departments never adopted it because most officers could Not handle the recoil.
Like you I think something between the K and N frame would have been a better option.

In the original police loading recoil wasn’t bad. Especially in the N Frame. The problem was the hunting and police loading at the time used a 210 grain SWC bullet and the pencil pushers that ordered ammo often ordered the hunting ammo instead of the police loading.

Mr. Elmer intended for something lighter than the N Frame that S&W put it in. I think the L Frame would be a great platform for the .41 Magnum. There is enough difference between .41 and .44 loadings that I personally opt for the .41 Magnum as it’s the largest load I’m willing to carry that I remain competent with one handed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LCXKatie5

Latest profile posts

We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe