autoloading shotguns in RSA

jphilibert

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Shirley Rod and Gun Club, SCI, DU
Have a trip planned to RSA for a mixed plains game and a few days of bird hunting. Its my first trip over and I am getting conflicting information on whether or not I can bring my 12 G autoloader or not? Outfitter says its not a problem and I have read the same in other internet sites but riflepermits.com website, who I am using for approval, says no. I would hate to have to rent a gun and don't have an OU/SxS to bring. Advice?

I took an autoloader through SA and it was not a problem. I did have all of my guns preapproved and I wrote a "letter of intention." That should help to ensure you don't have any issues and ease your mind.

And welcome to.the forum!

Royal 27 thanks for the quick reply. It does ease my mind to know that. The months to April cannot go by fast enough! Nice Buff in your avatar BTW....not on the list for this trip but hopefully next time.

Permits & Importation of Firearms & Ammunition into South Africa

- No automatic, semi-automatic, lever action or slide action firearms are allowed. A semi-automatic shotgun for hunting purposes may be allowed if an application is made and granted through the Central Firearms Register at least 21 days prior to your arrival.

This is a tricky one for sure, as autoloader are not allowed in SA but I am not sure what the regulation says about Shotguns though.
Royal did you hunt with your shotgun in SA or were you passing through?
I'll quickly make a call or two to find out about the shotgun.

A semi-automatic shotgun for hunting purposes may be allowed if an application is made and granted through the Central Firearms Register at least 21 days prior to your arrival.
100% Spot on there Jerome thank you.
You can follow this link http://www.hunterspermitsafrica.co.za/ and make contact with Adele. I just spoke to them. You need a
Pre-Approved permit. You will not be granted a permit at the Airport. She can help you with all the necessary documentation.

^^^^

That would explain why they had me write the letter. :)

Thanks for the compliment on the buff. It was a lifetime dream come true.

This is a tricky one for sure, as autoloader are not allowed in SA but I am not sure what the regulation says about Shotguns though.
Royal did you hunt with your shotgun in SA or were you passing through?
I'll quickly make a call or two to find out about the shotgun.

I was passing through on the way to Zim, just to be clear. But, I did overnight.

Thanks Royal, interesting to know you still had to write a letter even if you were not going to use it in SA.
Kinda like the times we use to travel through Zim to Moz. Every 10km you would be stopped at a road block and the police would ask for the Tax clearance on the goods we were carrying. :A Bang Head:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BusterKrus