Arsenal add on

randallhebert

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Booked to go back to Limcroma in Aug of 2025. Thinking about another buff and maybe lion, so got to thinking about getting me a big bore rifle. Well started surfing GB and found me a Winchester model 70 .375 H&H. Bid on it and ended up winning. Now to get me and it shooting straight and finish planning.
20240426_190436.jpg

I took a 375 H&H on my safari in 2022, and I shot a cow buffalo and a lioness, among other PG animals. I used Barns Vortex ammo in 300 grs and worked wonderfully. I purchased the ammo from R&M Firearms, ask for Mark Biggerstaff, he is a pleasure to deal with. If he doesn't have the ammo, he'll find it for you.

Thanks for the info. My FFL contact actually gave me a box and a half of reloads that he had. So definitely looking for ammo.

Unless you trust your FFL with your life and those reloads were made for that rifle, I would not use those reloads. Take them apart and loaded them with powder you know. My 2 cents.

The 375H&H is a near do-it-all cartridge for Africa. Premium expanding bullets like the Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Norma Oryx and Federal Trophy Bearclaw in 300 grain will serve you well for nearly everything.

Add in about 10 solids like CEB’s or Woodleigh Hydros for the T10, elephant and rhino…good to go.

Beautiful rifle, I love mine as well and it shoots better them I can. I'll second Para45 on not using those handloads though. Good luck on your hunt

Congrats on the new addition!

Magnificent catch (the Super Grade stock is just icing on the cake). I assume post 1992-pre 2006 New Haven manufacture ?

Since you have both Cape buffalo & lion on your menu, I'd highly recommend 300Gr Hornady DGX Bonded factory loads. If only Cape buffalo is on the menu, then I'd strongly recommend the 300Gr Barnes TSX.

NEVER trust another person's hand loads. It's a disaster waiting to happen since you don't know how they were loaded.

I have the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in 375 h&h. Love the rifle. I’m currently bidding on a Winchester Model 70 458 win mag on GB. Never bid or bought a firearm off GB. How is the process in laymen’s term after you pay for the rifle and having it shipped to a FFL? Thank y’all for any help!

If you are a handloader you can always break those rounds down and reload them yourself. Then you can be assured that they won’t leave you looking like this.
IMG_0770.jpeg

The advice on reloading the reloads is good advice. Berger to be safe.

Beautiful rifle with that stock! Congrats!

I believe his name was Robert Sheen. Deceased now. Was past president of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. Interesting feature is it has an octagon barrel with the sling ‘stud’ machined as an integral part of the barrel.

I have the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in 375 h&h. Love the rifle. I’m currently bidding on a Winchester Model 70 458 win mag on GB. Never bid or bought a firearm off GB. How is the process in laymen’s term after you pay for the rifle and having it shipped to a FFL? Thank y’all for any help!
If you have the current production Winchester M70 Alaskan, you have a very fine rifle.

To complete a purchase on an auction won on GB: This is for an FFL-to-FFL transfer. If from a private seller to your receiving FFL, ask your local FFL first. Basically, the FFL's transfers gun with appropriate Federal paperwork, the receiving FFL completes the background check to release the gun to you.

First, contact your local, receiving FFL. I bring a paper copy of the completed auction, so that the FFL has a paper trail of what rifle is coming in, from who, and for you. Serial numbers are helpful. I write my cell phone number on this so if the FFL has questions, they can call me directly. Exchange email addresses for the selling FFL, the receiving FFL, and yours.

An FFL verification is needed for both FFLs. Nowadays, an FFL Lookup website, between the parties makes this a lot easier. Some dealers use this, and it is efficient.

If an old school receiving FFL, request a "File Copy" paper copy of their FFL, and mail it with payment. (I always use a Priority type mail with tracking).

Confirm the seller receives the receiving FFL copy, which goes into the box with the gun. Reputable sellers will give you tracking numbers when shipped.

When the gun arrives at your FFL, complete the background check, pay the FFL his fee (in my area it is $20-$25).

If this Winchester M70 .458WM is a CRF, and you reload, along with the .375, you are set for any game to be hunted.

A vast amount of information is on this site, for reloading, bullet testing, and real world terminal performance.

Good luck!

I have the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in 375 h&h. Love the rifle. I’m currently bidding on a Winchester Model 70 458 win mag on GB. Never bid or bought a firearm off GB. How is the process in laymen’s term after you pay for the rifle and having it shipped to a

If you have the current production Winchester M70 Alaskan, you have a very fine rifle.

To complete a purchase on an auction won on GB: This is for an FFL-to-FFL transfer. If from a private seller to your receiving FFL, ask your local FFL first. Basically, the FFL's transfers gun with appropriate Federal paperwork, the receiving FFL completes the background check to release the gun to you.

First, contact your local, receiving FFL. I bring a paper copy of the completed auction, so that the FFL has a paper trail of what rifle is coming in, from who, and for you. Serial numbers are helpful. I write my cell phone number on this so if the FFL has questions, they can call me directly. Exchange email addresses for the selling FFL, the receiving FFL, and yours.

An FFL verification is needed for both FFLs. Nowadays, an FFL Lookup website, between the parties makes this a lot easier. Some dealers use this, and it is efficient.

If an old school receiving FFL, request a "File Copy" paper copy of their FFL, and mail it with payment. (I always use a Priority type mail with tracking).

Confirm the seller receives the receiving FFL copy, which goes into the box with the gun. Reputable sellers will give you tracking numbers when shipped.

When the gun arrives at your FFL, complete the background check, pay the FFL his fee (in my area it is $20-$25).

If this Winchester M70 .458WM is a CRF, and you reload, along with the .375, you are set for any game to be hunted.

A vast amount of information is on this site, for reloading, bullet testing, and real world terminal performance.

Good luck!
Thank you for the detailed response! My M70 Alaskan is the newer model made in Portugal. I saw it in my local gun store and had to have it. First time ever shot it I had a blast. The M70 Safari I’m currently bidding on is a CRF. In the detailed it states that it is early 2000s model and was made in New Haven. I’m currently on a mission to get the big bore M70s. Next I will be in search of the 416 Rigby version. The holy grail one would be the 470 capstick, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Again thank you for you’re response!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurus4d

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg