Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
My first Argentina hunt is in the spring for red stag and blackbuck. I've hunted Africa numerous times before this. I'm curious if you started hunting in Africa or Argentina first? I grew up reading about Africa and so my heart went there first. As I think about places I haven't been, Argentina came quickly to mind. My first trip will be chasing free range red stag but I will probably return sometime for dove/duck hunting and there are many other species to chase in Argentina. A great book on the subject is Big Game Argentina by Craig Boddington or any of Stuart Williams writings in Double Gun Journal and his various books on wing shooting.

For those who have hunted both Africa and Argentina, was there any plan to your approach? I have a feeling I'm going to love Argentina and want to return similar to my Africa experiences.

Four times to Argentina and seven times to Africa. They are very different destinations with little in common but the fun of the hunt. Both have been wonderful experiences. It is worth noting that Argentina "feels" much more like Europe than Latin America. Were you dropped into Buenos Aires, your immediate thought would be that you were in a large cosmopolitan area like Madrid.

I have done high volume dove shoots, which everyone should experience once in their life, waterfowl hunting (vast numbers of birds, most of which are new species to the North American hunter), perdiz over English pointers, and red stag. Spring of 26 I'll return for stag and buffalo. Always spend a few days in Buenos Aires.

I was hoping you would reply. The red stag and bird hunting are well documented in Argentina. Do you have any thoughts on the water buff hunting? It's not written about a lot.

I have hunted both. They were different experiences but both very good.
I really liked Argentina and will not hesitate to go back

I have hunted both. They were different experiences but both very good.
I really liked Argentina and will not hesitate to go back

What did you hunt? Would you return for same species or something different?

I have not been there yet, but it is on our very soon list. We would also plan to do some fly fishing on the same trip, the trout fishing is so great there it actually interests me even more.

I was reading about a red stag and trout combo in Patagonia. That is some beautiful scenery.

We've hunted Africa 7x times and Argentina twice. We had made two trips to Africa prior to doing our first dove hunt in Argentina.

Argentina was initially something of a whim.. we saw a hunt available on auction at DSC that no one else was bidding on.. We were able to win it for peanuts (I think we ended up with a 4 day/3 night "Cast and Blast" hunt for 2 hunters/anglers for $1100 all inclusive).. so we went.. prior to winning the hunt we had never really looked into Argentina or considered it as a hunting destination... (I had been to BA a couple of times previously on business, but never to vacation or to hunt)...

We had an absolute ball.. if youre into wing shooting, Argentina is incredible..

By the end of the trip we committed to return at some point and potentially add in big game to another dove hunt.. we went back in Nov 2022 and took two of our daughters with us... they had a huge time in BA... and one of our daughters (a hunter) had a huge time in the field as well..

due to schedule and budget at the time (we also did an Africa hunt in 2022 in addition to a trip to French Polynesia and a hunt in Ireland.. so we were limited on how many days we could spend and how much cash we wanted to burn) we didnt end up going after big game... we just did dove only..

but.. thats led to us planning yet another Argentina hunt (Im guessing 2026).. where we'll likely go after red stag and buffalo..

We wont continue to hunt Argentina with the same frequency we hunt South Africa.. but.. we do truly love the country.. the people are wonderful, the food is great, the culture is outstanding, and the dove hunting is probably the best in the world.. so we will continue to go there.. I'd guess we have at least another 2-3 trips there that will happen before we lay down for the final dirt nap..

Are bird and big game trophies currently importable to the USA from Argentina?

Previously there were issues importing ducks before Covid but I haven't heard the latest on that.

IF THIS MAKE ANY SENSE, OUR TRIPS TO ARGENTINA HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A VACATION WITH SOME HUNTING THROWN IN FOR GOOD MEASURE AND AFRICA IS HUNTING WITH VACATION AS TIME PERMITS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdeyoung

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe