SOUTH AFRICA: KoringKoppie Hunting Safaris *Warning* Stay Away

No PH/Owner I've ever hunted with would have classified that waterbuck as a trophy, but a cull at a deep discount. I killed a similar specimen on my third hunt, for a hundred dollar cull price. He first asked me, told me the price, I agreed and killed it. I Kept the hide, had a skull mount for S&G. The OP's PH should have told him it was a cull and NOT a trophy. That's 100% the PH's responsibility..

An extra 2¢, These donation hunts should be done away with. The ones that go south give Africa hunting, especially RSA, a bad name. I'm surprised the FTC doesn't step in and ban them, since most are quasi bait and switch affairs.

No PH/Owner I've ever hunted with would have classified that waterbuck as a trophy, but a cull at a deep discount. I killed a similar specimen on my third hunt, for a hundred dollar cull price. He first asked me, told me the price, I agreed and killed it. I Kept the hide, had a skull mount for S&G. The OP's PH should have told him it was a cull and NOT a trophy. That's 100% the PH's responsibility..

An extra 2¢, These donation hunts should be done away with. The ones that go south give Africa hunting, especially RSA, a bad name. I'm surprised the FTC doesn't step in and ban them, since most are quasi bait and switch affairs.

See my post above. My experience is very different than what you describe.

My hats off to you for enduring a nightmare of issues. I personally would have relocated to town and stayed in a hotel for the remainder of my stay vs some of the thing you have endured.
I also don't understand the auction hunts as most have a separate trophy fee list that are super inflated to offset cost of said hunt on their end. I have looked at a few over the years and just never pulled the trigger on one for fear of this right here happening. There are some that are looking for a bargain and that's only way they can afford to hunt Africa but Outfitter has to have that mindset not everyone is rich and unlimited budget but that is a discussion that happens prior to the hunt so there are no surprises for either party.
I too have had a Outfitter rub me the wrong way and I walked away from a $5000 deposit which in anyones book alot of coin to leave on the table but I be damned if I'm gonna give him another cent even if I walk away, mine was due to COVID but the heartburn is there and I won't tolerate a crook.
Sorry you had to go through it but we live and learn cheaper is not always better.

I am glad to hear that PHASA is initiating a hearing. The outfitter appears to have a lot to answer for.

I just went back and read the first post again. I have to say that both the PH and the hunter have a lot to answer for in killing the first giraffe. I don’t care what kind of pressure you feel you are under, you do not have to sit in the back of a truck and pop a giraffe at 40 yards in a breeding pen. If you pull the trigger you own it.

I re-read the post. I may be referring to the reedbuck, the paragraph is difficult to follow. Regardless, the point is the same. Badly done by the Outfitter and the Hunter.

See my post above. My experience is very different than what you describe.
I read it and glad it worked out for you. If one is willing and able to spend more for a hunt, I get it. It may start out cheap but in the end it's probably more costly than a package or a la carte hunt. From all the ink on here and other sites about auction hunts, yours were probably exceptions to the rule.

Edit: Thinking back to two local SCI banquets I attended, I remember my 24 time Africa hunter and mentor and former local SCI president, told me never bid on an auction hunt, it'll cost you more.
Nine hunts, I have followed that advice. YMMV.

I read it and glad it worked out for you. If one is willing and able to spend more for a hunt, I get it. It may start out cheap but in the end it's probably more costly than a package or a la carte hunt. From all the ink on here and other sites about auction hunts, yours were probably exceptions to the rule.

Edit: Thinking back to two local SCI banquets I attended, I remember my 24 time Africa hunter and mentor and former local SCI president, told me never bid on an auction hunt, it'll cost you more.
Nine hunts, I have followed that advice. YMMV.

I’ve only done the two, so very small data set. A normal trip to Africa for me is into the bush and tracking buffalo. I don’t buy those hunts at auction.

My husband and I went to Korringe Koppe Safari last year and we had the best time ever. The people were the best and I would consider them all friends now. That includes Jacque and his brother Frans! I have to say that I do not hunt but was a spectator and took many pictures and they were so considerate. Our food was the best food and I wasn't expecting it to be so good. There was always food in the kitchen if you were hungry. Oh course were were up early and the kitchen was open for us to grab anything that we wanted or needed. Breakfast was after we got back from the first outing and was excellent! We had sack lunches as we went out in the blinds and didn't go back for a while, they were also excellent. We went with the attitudes that we didn't know what to expect and were quite surprised and happy with everything. To say you did not get a trophy animal, we did, I feel like it was up to you if you shot at one or not. I also get that they prefer a box and arrow over a gun and my husband shot with a bow and arrow out of the blinds but used his gun when walking. It was all perfect. He got everything he wanted and then added some. I found this family to be one of the most accommodating families. To post what you have posted sounds like you are upset with yourself for missing shots or picking the wrong animal to shoot at. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Sheila DeYoung

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I went to Korringe Koppe Safari last year and we had the best time ever. The people were the best and I would consider them all friends now. That includes Jacque and his brother Frans! I have to say that I do not hunt but was a spectator and took many pictures and they were so considerate. Our food was the best food and I wasn't expecting it to be so good. There was always food in the kitchen if you were hungry. Oh course were were up early and the kitchen was open for us to grab anything that we wanted or needed. Breakfast was after we got back from the first outing and was excellent! We had sack lunches as we went out in the blinds and didn't go back for a while, they were also excellent. We went with the attitudes that we didn't know what to expect and were quite surprised and happy with everything. To say you did not get a trophy animal, we did, I feel like it was up to you if you shot at one or not. I also get that they prefer a box and arrow over a gun and my husband shot with a bow and arrow out of the blinds but used his gun when walking. It was all perfect. He got everything he wanted and then added some. I found this family to be one of the most accommodating families. To post what you have posted sounds like you are upset with yourself for missing shots or picking the wrong animal to shoot at. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Sheila DeYoung
Sheila you have wasted time out of your day

Thank you for the laugh though - at this point your post is comedic :ROFLMAO: (y)

Koringkoppie**

Last edited:
I’m thinking the OP might be 50% of the problem in this unfortunate situation
It was his choice to shoot both the reedbuck and waterbuck, after watching the video
I got a different perspective from the PH side, that conversation was fubar

I’m sure the outfitter is grateful the name is misspelled in title so if doesn’t appear in a google search.
Yeah , I would be POed if I got a permanent google tattoo over this !
The PH did mess up by serving up a batch of onions with the burger for lunch
Everything else seems like a miscommunication problem leading up to a clashing of personalities imo?

Sheila you have wasted time out of your day

Thank you for the laugh though - at this point your post is comedic :ROFLMAO: (y)

Koringkoppie**
Sorry, If I knew how to fix it I would. I actually had a great time. My husband got a Zebra, warthog, impala, and a wildebeest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sure the outfitter is grateful the name is misspelled in title so if doesn’t appear in a google search.
Maybe that is why the Outfitter has not shown up to reply to the thread. So I fixed it for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudiCass43

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe