Any 450/400 Double Rifles For Sale?

wildwilderness

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
Has any seen any good deals on a 450/400 3” double rifle for sale?

Due to my recoil aversion (I am a bow hunter and they don’t kick!). I think I would like to try out a 450/400 as an entry (drug) into Double rifles. (I know a new Chapuis at Champlin Firearms is available)

Based on the collective wisdom here I have avoided the temptation to get a 375 HH double (seen some great offers). First and foremost the reason being I will hunt an Elephant with said double rifle.

Please Advise

Good choice!

1. I have Heym 88B 450-400 that I love so far. The recoil is very manageable and the gun handles extremely well. I am doing my first African/Buffalo hunt in August.
2. The Chapuis is a great gun for the price. I have the Iphisi in 375 currently and I have handled and shot the Elan Classic in 470 NE before I bought the Heym 450-400.

Good luck with the search!

Due to my recoil aversion (I am a bow hunter and they don’t kick!). I think I would like to try out a 450/400 as an entry (drug) into Double rifles. (I know a new Chapuis at Champlin Firearms is available)

Based on the collective wisdom here I have avoided the temptation to get a 375 HH double (seen some great offers). First and foremost the reason being I will hunt an Elephant with said double rifle.

Please Advise
I would look on JJ Peroaue and/or Champlain site for a Chapuis. I owned a very nice one

Champlin Arms in Enid, Oklahoma usually has a couple in the gun vault

Yes I see the new Chapuis Elan 450/300 for $12,999 (with a lifetime guarantee ) And other for more than that…

I Am hoping to get in the 10k range to see how it goes before possibly doubling that for something finer :)

In my experience you save your money up front, when you buy something not sell it. Hoping to get a good deal on a used double that if I don’t like it (or want to upgrade) can re-sale for a similar price I got it for. Thus a new DR would depreciate just by receiving it…..

I would look on JJ Peroaue and/or Champlain site for a Chapuis. I owned a very nice one
Yes I said in my original post I had already looked there

I have looked at this rifle a couple of times

IMG_2457.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two nice Verney Carron O/U in .450/400 on Gunsinternational.com. I have no connection to them, just passing info along.

Please Advise

Don't be afraid of a 470NE with the proper powder as well. A 450-400 produces around 44lbs of felt recoil, a 470NE with a RL15 or 3031 powder load can produce as little as 58lbs. Both are miserable to shoot off a bench, but completely manageable off shooting sticks.

Please Advise
I moved down to the .450/400 from the .470 due to some neck pain issues. I can say that the .450/400 is very low recoil yet the 400g bullet hits like a hammer. Mine is a Kreighoff (.470 & .450/400 barrels) and I highly recommend them.

Please Advise

Please Advise
I have a 470ne express for sale the recoil isn’t too bad.

Ron Peterson had an A. Hollis & Son 450-400 3-1/4" sidelock at the Colorado show in late May.
Probably still has it.
Superb rifle - sidelock, chopper lump barrels, excellent bores, very nice condition with India inspired game scenes. Something like $17K
If I had the extra $$ it would have been hard to pass up.
This is the only photo I got of it...

Y5oYqhum.jpg

Target treasure. The weapon is like new, although it is over 140 years old. The value of this weapon can only increase. Using a computer elaboration program, you can freely adjust the force of the accepted recoil.

That Manton at Cabelas is a 3 1/4, could probably be had for less than the asking price, and I'm sure could get the job done. Have to be a handloader and put some time into getting components.....it would be a worthy project

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharisHask

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!