Any 450/400 Double Rifles For Sale?

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
Has any seen any good deals on a 450/400 3” double rifle for sale?

Due to my recoil aversion (I am a bow hunter and they don’t kick!). I think I would like to try out a 450/400 as an entry (drug) into Double rifles. (I know a new Chapuis at Champlin Firearms is available)

Based on the collective wisdom here I have avoided the temptation to get a 375 HH double (seen some great offers). First and foremost the reason being I will hunt an Elephant with said double rifle.

Please Advise

Good choice!

1. I have Heym 88B 450-400 that I love so far. The recoil is very manageable and the gun handles extremely well. I am doing my first African/Buffalo hunt in August.
2. The Chapuis is a great gun for the price. I have the Iphisi in 375 currently and I have handled and shot the Elan Classic in 470 NE before I bought the Heym 450-400.

Good luck with the search!

Due to my recoil aversion (I am a bow hunter and they don’t kick!). I think I would like to try out a 450/400 as an entry (drug) into Double rifles. (I know a new Chapuis at Champlin Firearms is available)

Based on the collective wisdom here I have avoided the temptation to get a 375 HH double (seen some great offers). First and foremost the reason being I will hunt an Elephant with said double rifle.

Please Advise
I would look on JJ Peroaue and/or Champlain site for a Chapuis. I owned a very nice one

Champlin Arms in Enid, Oklahoma usually has a couple in the gun vault

Yes I see the new Chapuis Elan 450/300 for $12,999 (with a lifetime guarantee ) And other for more than that…

I Am hoping to get in the 10k range to see how it goes before possibly doubling that for something finer :)

In my experience you save your money up front, when you buy something not sell it. Hoping to get a good deal on a used double that if I don’t like it (or want to upgrade) can re-sale for a similar price I got it for. Thus a new DR would depreciate just by receiving it…..

I would look on JJ Peroaue and/or Champlain site for a Chapuis. I owned a very nice one
Yes I said in my original post I had already looked there

I have looked at this rifle a couple of times

IMG_2457.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two nice Verney Carron O/U in .450/400 on Gunsinternational.com. I have no connection to them, just passing info along.

Please Advise

Don't be afraid of a 470NE with the proper powder as well. A 450-400 produces around 44lbs of felt recoil, a 470NE with a RL15 or 3031 powder load can produce as little as 58lbs. Both are miserable to shoot off a bench, but completely manageable off shooting sticks.

Please Advise
I moved down to the .450/400 from the .470 due to some neck pain issues. I can say that the .450/400 is very low recoil yet the 400g bullet hits like a hammer. Mine is a Kreighoff (.470 & .450/400 barrels) and I highly recommend them.

Please Advise

Please Advise
I have a 470ne express for sale the recoil isn’t too bad.

Ron Peterson had an A. Hollis & Son 450-400 3-1/4" sidelock at the Colorado show in late May.
Probably still has it.
Superb rifle - sidelock, chopper lump barrels, excellent bores, very nice condition with India inspired game scenes. Something like $17K
If I had the extra $$ it would have been hard to pass up.
This is the only photo I got of it...

Y5oYqhum.jpg

Target treasure. The weapon is like new, although it is over 140 years old. The value of this weapon can only increase. Using a computer elaboration program, you can freely adjust the force of the accepted recoil.

That Manton at Cabelas is a 3 1/4, could probably be had for less than the asking price, and I'm sure could get the job done. Have to be a handloader and put some time into getting components.....it would be a worthy project

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AvisDeBoos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.