425SCHADE

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Australia, South Africa
Not long home home from my first trip to Africa, I hunted South Africa's Eastern Cape with the KMG Safaris team and had a ball! Posting a few photos first to whet the appetite with more details to come (jet lag has the memories a bit fuzzy at the moment ;))
455450345_3043364869172421_3736745315137963150_n.jpg

455997330_3043379145837660_3250026809728949694_n.jpg

456027074_3043379342504307_883043244926397767_n.jpg

Congratulations on your first of many!! What a trip you must have had. Can’t wait to read your report. No questions until then, lol.

Great stuff, looking forward to the hunt report.

Congrats! Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Great trophies, congrats !

Excellent looking forward to the rest :D Beers:

The time had come, almost two years after taking the plunge and booking an African hunt Myself and partner Leanne were underway with trepidation, anxiety and excitement all rolled in to one. No more emails, planning, checking, rechecking or repacking, we were sorted and ready! Well, a slight hiccup involving a permit at Sydney Border Security had me panicking heavily however the issue was sorted and we boarded the plane for our 14-hour flight to Joburg. The flight was without concern and touched down to fine weather.

I had accepted Africa Sky’s offer of their VIP meet & greet service and we stepped from the air bridge to a welcome sign and smiling face (unfortunately didn’t catch the name of the first gentleman) and in no time we were ushered through customs without a hitch and soon were introduced to Gilbert who quickly and seamlessly got us through the remaining firearm import and licensing requirements, a short drive later we had checked in to Africa Sky for the night. I had also booked a massage for both of us thinking this could be a good idea after a long flight and this was a wise decision, I recommend it. Following a wholesome dinner, we finished the bottle of local red by the outside fire chatting to a PH who was waiting for his late arrival of a family of US hunters he would be taking up to Uganda. They arrived in due course but minus some luggage, an issue that had me worried greatly but thankfully didn’t experience.

The next morning Gilbert once more had us through the airline requirements simply and quickly to board our next flight to Port Elizabeth. A couple of hours later we touched down in PE to discover our pre-arranged shuttle service had been forgotten about but soon enough the check in to the Radisson Blu was complete.

0900 the next morning arrived and so did Marius to collect us. It was great to finally meet in person after all the email correspondence and his friendly nature made the next few hours in the car a pleasant experience and shortly after we rolled in to the block we would be hunting first. Marius had planned we would look for the Buff here then travel on to some of his more regular blocks for the other animals I had on my wish list. We met up with Connor who would be assisting PH, Lindile who would be our tracker/skinner and a representative from the block and spent the afternoon having a scout around the block to see what was about. There was mention of at least one good bull present, so interest levels were high and along with seeing many different African animals in their natural environment for the first time made for an enjoyable afternoon.

Day 1: Buffalo

We rise from a comfortable night’s sleep, get through breakfast and have everyone gathered and loaded for a 0630 getaway. We soak in the sightings of myriad animals captured in the morning sun working through likely areas with Eland, Gemsbuck, Springbok, Kudu, Zebra featuring heavily. The country is experiencing dryer times so locations holding scrub and possibly some water are what we’re looking for.

Suddenly a call from the guys up the back, a herd of buff have been spotted on the edge of a thicket deep in a gully. The vehicle is stopped, and we all hike to the top of a ridge to glass, the buff have been alerted to something and make their way into the thick gully. The call is made that a nice bull is present, and we hope they are not too alarmed and will eventually make their way back out into the open to resume feeding but unfortunately this is not to be and watch as they work through the scrub only to appear on the distant edge before traversing up an open face and disappearing over a saddle. They’re going the wrong way but if nothing else this enables a thorough assessment of a bull through the spotting scope and from that there is no denying we need to reconnect with this animal. Its only around 0730 of the first day of hunting and we have a bull to pursue.
20240808_072757.jpg

My trainee spotter :)

The local guy knows of a track that will take us around and up to the top of the gully system and we are soon glassing from the highest plateau level down into the gully we believe (hope) the herd are located. A small group of Zebra are inquisitive and hold around 200 yards from us, watching intently and occasionally voicing their disapproval of our presence.

The buff are spotted, holed up in thick scrub where it was hoped they would be but, how to get to them? They must be 1000 yards away and much lower than us, the team come up with a plan.

Marius and I will head directly down the face to an area beside a donga formed by the gully, Connor, Leanne and the local guy would sit tight spotting from the elevated position while Lindile would head across the adjacent face to the head of the gully, glassing and providing feedback of any sightings.

Around 35 minutes’ walk had us down in the basin and sourcing a suitable location, our fingers crossed that the buff would travel towards us when they moved and not up, away and over the top again. Positioned behind a thorn bush potential shooting lanes were ranged and shooting stick set-ups were tested. Even if the animals chose to head toward us, they had multiple options to take, not necessarily close by. Worst case they turn to their left after exiting the scrub as this would lead them directly away from us.
20240808_102444.jpg

Our shooting position. The bull came from the green timbered gully in the distance.

The radio comes alive with a call from the team above, the buff are on the move, and they’re heading our way! All of a sudden things get very real as I entertain the idea of shouldering the rifle towards an animal for the first time, a buffalo no less and its only 1030 on the first day!

“There they are, coming to us” says Marius, I look and initially see nothing, then a mass of black bodies and grey horns moving through the low bush. They disappear briefly in a small depression, the one that could turn them to the left and blow our chances. They don’t, and suddenly they reemerge on a course almost straight at us with the bull front and centre, the first time I see him up close.

The sticks go up, but he is amongst others still moving at a trot and I start worrying about a potential pass through. They see the movement we make and as a group grind to a halt, the big fella propping prominently centre stage. The crosshairs find him and there he is filling my scope only 40 yards away, I have no need nor the time anyway to question him as a suitable candidate, Marius and the team have made the right call. There is just enough time to capture the image of him staring down his sights at us before I hear the call, “IN THE CHEST!”

The rifle sounds immediately the instruction is heard and he reacts to the shot. I’m off the sticks to reload and track him as he lunges away, heavy bleeding from the nose instantly apparent. Others create a risk of being hit and as he is heading away, we commence our follow up right away. He doesn’t get far before piling up and the death bellow carries across to us, there’s no movement as we approach but we all know the saying about the dead ones hurting you so from around 50 yards the insurance is paid.

The obligatory muzzle to the eye confirms a dream has been achieved. I couldn’t be happier but take a deep breath and ensure to pay him the respect he deserves considering my senses are alive with things like the strangely acceptable aroma, texture of hair and skin and awe concerning the size of his body and those horns!
20240808_112846.jpg

20240808_113707.jpg

My .425 doing what it was built for.

We need to return to where the shot was made to collect some gear left behind and elect to assess the blood trail as we return to the bull, following the path his last steps had carried him. Marius makes the discovery that the trail suggests he knew he couldn’t keep up with his herd and had turned in an attempt to make it into a nearby thicket, possibly to await the source of his discomfort. As it turns out on arrival of the rest of our team, we find Leanne has captured the events from her elevated position as a video on her phone and it confirms Marius’s belief.

Its midday when the knives get to work and continuing our good fortune the wind picks up only now almost like it knew the hunt was over, until that point it had been conveniently calm. I must admit I’m not a fan of windy conditions at the best of times so this was appreciated by me at least. Considering the work involved in breaking down a buffalo we decide to spend the remainder of the day undertaking this work, spend the night and move out the following morning.
20240808_121527.jpg

Just one reason why these guys deserve a tip! (y)

20240808_161503.jpg

The only bullet recovered during the trip. Aussie made Atomic29 360gn/.423"

To Be Cont.

The face says it all! Not a smile, more a grimace and a comment something along the lines of "Hurry up, take the photo!!"

Little wonder bulls have the necks that they do, imagine carrying these around all day!
20240815_080725.jpg

Day 2: New territory

Up early and on the road for a couple of hours into the Eastern Cape proper. We pulled into our new lodge accommodation immediately impressed with the set up and were shown to our well-appointed double room. We met the lodge staff and proprietors along with another of Marius’s PH’s and his client, Jimmie from Florida, who we would be sharing the lodge with. Once our gear was dumped it was into the vehicle for a look around and to get a feel for the place, we witnessed a plethora of animals nearby the lodge including Giraffes, exciting Leanne greatly. As I was only carrying my .425 to hopefully take all animals with a quick check on the 200m range resulted in a ringing gong, along with a satisfying dent! Driving the area I very quickly got a sense of just how tight and dense the Eastern Cape vegetation can get, and how easily game can simply…vanish. This could get interesting I reckon.

I guess at this point it will be easiest just to summarise Days 2,3 & 4 into the following key points, with no animals taken.

Tough,

Frustrating,

Windy,

Game spooked and stalks blown for sometimes seemingly no reason.

Day 5: Eland

After the previous three days morale had taken a bit of a hit, and we all believed our luck must have been burnt up on Day 1 taking the Buff so early in the trip. I still had three animals on my wish list, not that I considered it essential to achieve all of them the KMG team certainly strive to deliver. Our plan for the day was to head to an area historically good for Eland by all reports. All the crossed fingers are starting to hurt.

Not too far into the search Eland are spotted way across the valley feeding up the distant face. Through my 10 x power bino’s they are a long way off, but I can make out two bulls, one is hard to distinguish but the other is big, creamy and has an impressive coppery red ruff glowing in the morning sun. That’s about all I need but based on the reaction from Marius after he viewed the bulls through the spotting scope, we need to get over there now!

Similar to the buffalo we need to get up and above them, then hunt down to them, or wait until they hopefully move to the opposite face chasing the sun giving us a shot across the valley they are in.

A tap on the roof of the vehicle as we are heading up to the plateau indicates a good Warthog has been spotted. I follow Marius and in no time the rifle is on the sticks and I’m staring at a significant amount of Warthog ivory. The rest of him however is obscured by low shrubbery and my reluctance to fire through it results in a hesitation and a missed opportunity.

We carry on to where we wish to commence the hunt, only to find them alarmed and already across the valley, walking steadily up the face before disappearing over the edge. Are we done and dusted again?! Surely not?!

Leaving a couple of bodies at this location the rest of us quickly drive around to where we believe the bulls crested the ridge. Radio comm’s tells us the bulls are indeed heading down the face as predicted. Leanne and I follow Marius down towards the valley floor to hopefully see the bulls cut across in front of us. Suddenly we spot them now trotting purposefully, apparently spooked by the guys up top, time to get ready!

Almost unbelievably the bulls choose a different route and instead of passing us turn at the halfway mark and head up and over a saddle instead. You’re kidding right?...

A call from Connor who’s still at the vehicle states he spots them and for us to hurry back to him. The climb back to the vehicle is torture, every part of me hurts and I’m questioning my choice of enjoyment. At the vehicle I’m throwing down some water when Connor indicates the bulls passed only about 80 yards away. This renews some enthusiasm as surely they would be looking for a rest nearby. As I follow Marius and Connor starting down the next face among the tangle of scrub all I’m thinking is every step further equals at least another step back to the vehicle and we can barely see in front of us. Then, I spot them. They have travelled all the way down the face and are in some open ground amazingly already heading back the other way.

Ranging the bulls Marius quickly sets up his rifle as at 330 yards it too much of a stretch for my rifle wearing its 5 x power scope. Throwing myself prone onto the rocks I find the bull and a cow call stops him in his tracks perfectly broadside. Looking directly at us the .300 Win Mag barks (quietly) and the bull shudders at the impact. He makes about 50 yards and topples. I have my Eland!
20240812_112735.jpg

The shooting position and Eland where he fell.

Myself, Leanne and Connor walk down and across to him as the others fetch the vehicle and assess how to get it to the bull as a donga must be crossed to achieve this. Coming up to him he gets more impressive with each step, exactly what I was after with balding neck, prominent dewlap and big russet ruff. The horns aren’t bad either!

Photos are captured while we wait for a second vehicle, a single cab with full length tub to arrive to assist with the pack out of this enormous animal. It takes all hands to load him whole.

Smiles and celebrations again tonight!

To Be Cont.

20240812_115359.jpg

20240812_121455.jpg

20240812_121414.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IvoryCante

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!