Where would you aim?

IMG_4988.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue is def too low
Red is not gonna stop a charge but ok for a first shot
In a chage id go above the yellow
Almost on the grey patch between his eyes with head as it is
But his head is gonna bob up and down

Yellow to stop the charge, but I think the dot is a little low. Like to see it from between the eyes to below the boss.

I’ll add another question. Soft or solid? If this springs up on me, I’ll be using whatever happens to be in the chamber. I’ll rely on my PH to let me know what to load before we walk into the scrub.

EDIT - Good looking old buff.

Yellow to stop the charge, but I think the dot is a little low. Like to see it from between the eyes to below the boss.

I’ll add another question. Soft or solid? If this springs up on me, I’ll be using whatever happens to be in the chamber. I’ll rely on my PH to let me know what to load before we walk into the scrub.

EDIT - Good looking old buff.
@BeeMaa

Barnes TSX or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Swift A Frame will work for a head shot on an inbound Cape buffalo. But before 1984, we always used solids exclusively for this shot.

Right under the boss. I’d wait for him to get within 7 yards, at which point he lowers his horns to attack.
This is exactly how my PH explained it to me. When the Buff gets close, he'll lower his head, allowing you a better angle at the brain.

@ Altidude sickness,
You can tell I don't feel like working much today;).
I shot my last buffalo with a solid, on the chest like your -weak- yellow dot is marked.
If it attacks, the only thing that helps is a shot under the boss.

If you look at the bone of the buffalo's skull you will see that the cavity of its brain is the size of a banana or toothpaste tube, no more.
With your shot, you can only hope that bone fragments penetrate the brain, because this shot to the skull is bad.

something similar happened to me on a driven boar hunt.

A young boar stood 60 meters below me and listened to my dog barking.
Well, no problem, I thought to myself and shot him right between the "horns"
When I pulled the trigger, however, he looked up at me and the shot hit him on the nose.
He rolled over a few times in a flash and disappeared.
At the end of the hunt I found him dead 15m further on in the bush with this shot and thanked St. Hubertus for sending a bone splinter into his brain.

Would have been a nasty search otherwise.
boar.jpg

you see the hole on the noseridge.
You also need luck on the hunt.Even more if you get into a situation like the one in your buffalo photo.No fun.

BUFF CHARGE.jpg

Interesting ideas guys. Thanks for the entertainment.

Since he's coming with Head rocking I'd lead that head shot a little and get ready to reload.
Green X

Blue ruins perfectly good BBQ meat.

None are ideal but this is the situation why I use a double rifle as with a bolt you only will get one shot at best! With a double if you are well practiced you MIGHT be lucky enough to get 2!
I would try to put it between the eyes with 1 and #2
Hope for 4-6” above ur green dot to catch the Aorta and spine. But this will happen so fast that you really hope to get a really good bullet or two into him before he kills you or one of ur team!

Slightly higher than the green X in post #8

right in the forehead below the boss and above the eyes, and it looks like he's really coming fast, hope you have a double rifle.....

Since this thread shows a charging buff, I'll pose a question to the pros at the table...

Many years ago was a video clip making the rounds where Johan Calitz and Ronnie "Brass Balls" Kraus and some other pros are trailing a wounded lion. The lion knows the jig is up and these guys spread out a bit; well here he comes, straight for Ronnie. Everyone is blazing away, Ronnie is running a bolt gun and waits for the very last microsecond to anchor the cat.

In the video everyone is crouched down to decrease the angle into the charging cat. My question is would it be better to crouch during a buffalo charge? In all the buffalo charge videos I've ever seen, no one crouches. Obviously, a buff is a lot taller off the ground than a lion.

Here's the video (not very high quality)

Ed Z

Since this thread shows a charging buff, I'll pose a question to the pros at the table...

Many years ago was a video clip making the rounds where Johan Calitz and Ronnie "Brass Balls" Kraus and some other pros are trailing a wounded lion. The lion knows the jig is up and these guys spread out a bit; well here he comes, straight for Ronnie. Everyone is blazing away, Ronnie is running a bolt gun and waits for the very last microsecond to anchor the cat.

In the video everyone is crouched down to decrease the angle into the charging cat. My question is would it be better to crouch during a buffalo charge? In all the buffalo charge videos I've ever seen, no one crouches. Obviously, a buff is a lot taller off the ground than a lion.

Here's the video (not very high quality)

Ed Z
I've seen that before. Brass ones for sure.

I think the crouching has to do with how little a lions head moves durning a charge. Kneeling serves to reduce the movement needed of a rifle/shooter to make the proper shot.

A buffalo head will be moving up to two feet (top to bottom) in travel and the head will also drop considerably at about 10 feet. Crouching would not increase your chances, but in fact limit them by restricting your body movement.

That was an all star lineup of pros to finish the lion. Spread out and hold the pressure on the cat...make him come to you...everyone shooting and no messy cross-firing...final shot was to the face at 10 feet....brass indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nohu90de

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available