Allure of the Ruger No1

I really like the NECG ghost ring. Im a fan of their white line post sught. I leave the ring lower in the rear sight body and file the front down. I like the Leupold 1.5-5x20 scopes a lot but this 450/400ne 3" is great with peep. The front sight here is unfiled. It requires quite a bit of careful sanding to fit. NECG folks were very helpful when I called asking about specific installation issues.

View attachment 612492View attachment 612493

Here is RJ Renner’s sight installed on my .275

Image1718206817.628895.jpg

Until I am able to lock a double rifle up in my gun safe the Ruger No1 will be my default rifle. It points like a good shotgun. It is elegant as can be and it is the easiest gun to show clear that has been made. I have always had a love affair with the No1 and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
Camlo,
Looks like a tropical, what caliber? Also, is that an NECG recoil pad?

This is exactly what I am looking for. Does he just sell the sight alone? It seemed like you had to send him the whole rifle.

He does sell just the sight alone. I had his full treatment done on my rifle, but it’s not necessary to get the sight. I ordered mine a little shorter than standard to ensure the scope would clear it (Z6i 1-6x24 EE in Warne QD rings).

He does sell just the sight alone. I had his full treatment done on my rifle, but it’s not necessary to get the sight. I ordered mine a little shorter than standard to ensure the scope would clear it (Z6i 1-6x24 EE in Warne QD rings).

I really appreciate the info. I am going to reach out. I am trying to determine how hard it is to push the old sight out and the new on.

Until I am able to lock a double rifle up in my gun safe the Ruger No1 will be my default rifle. It points like a good shotgun. It is elegant as can be and it is the easiest gun to show clear that has been made. I have always had a love affair with the No1 and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

View attachment 612800

Beautiful. Very nice furniture on that rifle. What caliber?

View attachment 612800
What calibre do you have?

This is exactly what I am looking for. Does he just sell the sight alone? It seemed like you had to send him the whole rifle.

Image1718485595.314273.jpg

Following up with a range report on this sight. This is a 3 shot group at 100 yards. I did have to install a higher front bead. (NECG).

Shoots as good as it looks.......not surprising!!!

One of the best looking rifles I’ve seen, and amazingly accurate. With the scope it shoots in the 0.5 moa zip code. I am extremely pleased with the accuracy I’m getting with Renner’s ghost ring. The rifle handles like a wand without the scope. I’m feeling the need to take a buck with the irons this year.

For single shots I absolutely love the #1 & #3 and have had a slew. I just came to favor the interchangeability of the Blaser and I sold the Rugers. For single shot, with one action and furniture, i have .22 hornet, .243 win, .270 win, 7x65r and 9.3x74r. For the bolt R8 it is .22 LR, .300WM and .375 H&H.
Two actions, one bolt and one single, and every scenario is covered with the POSSIBLE exception of elephant/rhino presenting a challenging shot. And NONE are intolerable for a “range day”.

Out of interest, are .45-70’s topics for y’all in Africa? I use ‘em here but never saw one there(or didn’t pay attention).

View attachment 613761

Following up with a range report on this sight. This is a 3 shot group at 100 yards. I did have to install a higher front bead. (NECG).

That's terrific. Beautiful rifle, by the way. I emailed RJ Renner. Hopefully, he gets back to me soon. I really want to purchase that sight. It's exactly what I am looking for.

Reactions: WAB
Out of interest, are .45-70’s topics for y’all in Africa? I use ‘em here but never saw one there(or didn’t pay attention).

The 45-70, while a cool and historic round, is definitely not cutout for DG in Africa. It's gotten the reputation online of being a "fake elephant gun." The sectional density of the round is too low. It's around 0.20-0.21. There have been quite a few rumored failed attempts at taking things like elephant, and buffalo. Lots of PH's, maybe all, will say absolutely flat-out no to using it for DG.

Now it does work perfectly fine on PG. One other hunter in camp in RSA took a few animals with a Marlin lever gun in 45-70. The only downfall really would be the round tends to drop off quite a bit as it stretches out. 100 yds and closer it definitely packs more than enough punch for PG.

If anyone sorta knows ..

With exception of the 450/400, did all the No.1's Have the (D Heavy Barrel) 375, 416, 458WM & Lott?

Thanks, if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franklin92

Latest posts