Robertson (Boss) shotgun

LES7

AH veteran
Reaction score
Breaking up a previous multi gun listing into single listings

John Robertson (Boss) 12ga sxs boxlock ejector. Serial # 6689 or 6899 ? Early 1900’s. It’s tight as new and beautiful for its age. 30” barrels, 14” LOP. Neutral cast. I do have 2-1/2” no 5 and no 6 shot which is equivalent to US 6 or 7 shot included shipped to your home address. $5000.00 OBO

IMG_0556.jpeg
IMG_0557.jpeg
IMG_0558.jpeg
IMG_0560.jpeg
IMG_0561.jpeg
IMG_0562.jpeg
IMG_0563.jpeg
IMG_0565.jpeg
IMG_0566.jpeg
IMG_0567.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! The best name from the golden age of Boss..................IMO the finest shotgun maker ever...........someone will be proud of this gun....................FWB

It looks like it has been reproofed at some point. Any idea why this was necessary? Are the bores still at .729" (which is nominal) and what are the barrel thickness?

It looks like it has been reproofed at some point. Any idea why this was necessary? Are the bores still at .729" (which is nominal) and what are the barrel thickness?
I’ll snag some calipers from work and let you know in the next couple days

Yes I noticed that too . Looks like a Birmingham Proof ( makes sense as that was where it was made ) with a London Proof over the top . From the Birmingham proof marks I think it was made between 1925–1954 . It is a lovely gun .

Yes I noticed that too . Looks like a Birmingham Proof ( makes sense as that was where it was made ) with a London Proof over the top . From the Birmingham proof marks I think it was made between 1925–1954 . It is a lovely gun .
I’m not sure about proof marks and dates, but I read that the Dover st address was 1908-30 time frame?

I’m not sure about proof marks and dates, but I read that the Dover st address was 1908-30 time frame?
There is a very helpful article by Diggory Hadoke in The Vintage Gun Journal ( an online publication ) about how to read proof marks and how they can help date when a gun was made .

I’ll snag some calipers from work and let you know in the next couple days
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0369.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those barrels are perfect . It is a lovely gun. With regard to the 2 sets of proof marks I have noticed a lot of older guns ( and rifles) sold through Holts in the UK have been reproofed - generally in London . I imagine this is to assure buyers that the firearm is safe . It would originally have Birmingham proofs ( likely action and barrels supplied by Scott ) and then finished and sold by Robertson via the Boss London outlet . Boxlock guns made in Birmingham were sold by Boss , H&H and Purdey . They were all good guns and fairly rare .

Those barrels are perfect . It is a lovely gun. With regard to the 2 sets of proof marks I have noticed a lot of older guns ( and rifles) sold through Holts in the UK have been reproofed - generally in London . I imagine this is to assure buyers that the firearm is safe . It would originally have Birmingham proofs ( likely action and barrels supplied by Scott ) and then finished and sold by Robertson via the Boss London outlet . Boxlock guns made in Birmingham were sold by Boss , H&H and Purdey . They were all good guns and fairly rare .
Good info! Thank you

That's a fine shotgun. Those British doubles are special things. That's a nice package with the included shells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndiaLawry