Allure of the Ruger No1

Kevin,

Absolutely.

I will be visiting the shop at 3:30pm today to pay and submit paperwork. Hopefully I can snap some pics.

I've looked all over for these rifles, in big bore calibers, and one happened to be sitting in a shop no less than 10 miles from my home.
What is the calibre?

I suppose now I can count on it being mine.

Kevin,

Unfortunately, I did not have time to snap any pics. The FFL had 2 people ahead of me and I was pressed for time. When it was my turn, I managed to look the rifle over quick, fill out the paperwork, hand over the cash, and be on my way. Should be about 5-6 days for the NICs for my pitifully slow state to come back.

Based on the serial, the gun is a 1985. It's about an 8 out of 10 in terms of condition. Less than a handful of imperfections on both the metal and wood. From my recollection, it seems to be garden-variety wood. Nothing top-grade. Orange recoil pad lives on the back which I find to be kind of cool. It has a pretty cheap Simmons scope on it. I imagine the owner probably figured he was only going to shoot it a handful of times. I'll probably pull the scope off immediately and check out the quality of the rings and bases. Going to run it with irons for the time being because the last thing I want is a dummy-ring from a $100 scope because I underestimated the recoil.

It was just too good of a deal to pass up. Based on my research I paid about 60% of the current market value of No 1's in 458WM. My feeling is the FFL took this in on a song and a dance not really knowing what he had. When I asked the FFL how long he had the gun he said he couldn't remember but it was more than a few years.

I think the interesting part about this is gun has been sitting no more than 5 miles (as the crow flies) from my home. Never did I expect a Tropical to be sitting at a gun store that nearby.

I have no idea what your hunting scenarios or optic needs are but I do have some experience that you may find useful. I have owned Ruger #1 in both .458 WM and .416 Rigby. My hunting scenario is/was shots (95+%) at 50 yards or less. I found a red dot to be great. No stability problems. No extra weight, no concern about “scope bite”. You might find it very appropriate.

I have no idea what your hunting scenarios or optic needs are but I do have some experience that you may find useful. I have owned Ruger #1 in both .458 WM and .416 Rigby. My hunting scenario is/was shots (95+%) at 50 yards or less. I found a red dot to be great. No stability problems. No extra weight, no concern about “scope bite”. You might find it very appropriate.

This is actually on the table. Everything I see and hear seems to indicate the same. I really can't see myself putting any sort of mag on it. Either a red dot or enhanced irons.

This is actually on the table. Everything I see and hear seems to indicate the same. I really can't see myself putting any sort of mag on it. Either a red dot or enhanced irons.
And once you have become comfortable with “ both eyes open” it is darned near like pointing a laser pen on a long stick.

With appropriate shot placement you will drop any ungulate on the spot with a great expanding round. #1 choice in Europe for the bigger ones (including tough ornery big boar hogs). Save the solids for a second shot (if needed) from SxS second shot at buffs.

Last edited:
You've got the "old style" front sight insert should you wish to change it. It refers to the hole where the retainer pin locks the sight in is situated being ahead or behind the sight. The rear sight is nothing more than a marble flip up. You can struggle with them and their poor visibility until you get the gun zeroed with a favored load. Then you can measure the front sight insert from the base to the top of the ball and the rear front base to bottom of the cup and order fixed sights that better suit. The .458's aren't as bad as some portray. Stand as a man should behind a rifle such as this and let it roll. The tricky part is that they tend to get going quickly from a dead stop when loaded stoutly. It's great fun and quite a thrill. If you wanted tame you can always procure a .375! I use my tropicals for deer rifles. Haven't had any complaints.

I've been very short on time the last few days but here is a pic. I have had just enough time to take it out of the safe, remove the very cheap scope/rings it came with, and snap a pic. I will be giving it a good and thorough cleaning soon. Excited, and somewhat nervous, to shoot it.
IMG_2567.jpg

I've been very short on time the last few days but here is a pic. I have had just enough time to take it out of the safe, remove the very cheap scope/rings it came with, and snap a pic. I will be giving it a good and thorough cleaning soon. Excited, and somewhat nervous, to shoot it. View attachment 611828
Go shoot a buffalo with it just like that!

Go shoot a buffalo with it just like that!

Per what @Forrest Halley mentioned, the sights are really bad. But, with that being said, just some upgraded irons would do the trick.

I really like it as it stands. I don't know if I want to much to it other than re-finish it so it looks nicer and just upgraded irons.

I think it's the finest looking rifle .. I've wanted one for 25 years.

I do like the Heavy Barrels though.

Well if a heavy barrel is what you want, the 485 gives you that. If all else fails I might be able to club an animal to death.

The barrel is like the width of a heavy broomstick.

Well if a heavy barrel is what you want, the 485 gives you that. If all else fails I might be able to club an animal to death.

Something "stuck" with me .. when I saw a D Barreled No.1, really young?

I had been infatuated with them for a long time. The name "Tropical" always appealed to me because to me that meant "safari."

I never really wanted one in anything "less" than 375HH. To me that was the Tropical. The Tropical meant safari.

Finally scored one.

I've been thinking about Huntington closing its doors a year ago. I've been in a funk all day. But I've got a Huntington story from back in the day.
An old customer "B.B." (can't use his name, sorry) had a hankerin' for the unusual seems like all the time. He got his hands on a Ruger #1 in 45-70 and wanted it rechambered into 45-120 Sharps straight 3-1/4. I got hold of Clymer and they made up a rougher and a finisher for us, and the rechambering wen't well, no surprises. The rifle, both reamers, BELL brass and some 350g hard cast gas checked bullets got sent over to Huntington, who made up the reloading dies, and at B.B.'s request, worked up loads for the provided bullets. The #1 had superlative wood, as is not uncommon for those. B.B. had a Creedmoor sight that he'd waited two years for, just in hopes of this project, and the plan was to fit that when the rifle came back. The #1 came back, unscathed with some notes from Huntington. They were kind enough list the loads, and to say "Your rifle will take more, our shoulders won't, best of luck". The sight was fitted and that was that. Last I heard, B.B. had taken two elk with one shot with that rifle, as he moved to Colorado not shortly thereafter. Since those days, I've always sort of kept my eye out for a .45-70 Ruger #1. I dunno why, I don't have the means to rechamber a rifle any more. Maybe just because.

I think it's the finest looking rifle .. I've wanted one for 25 years.

I do like the Heavy Barrels though.
I've always admired them since I was young. My father was anti magnum. Believed a .30-06 was all one needed. The tropicals have always called me.

Ah yes, ye olde sewer pipe with sights. My Lott is quite durable looking for apocalyptic melee fighting or prying at things or possibly pull-ups.
The lines are so appealing. The lighter barrels are just very fragile in appearance by comparison.

I'm headed to South Africa in 2 weeks. Taking my No. 1 in 9.3x74r. I've taken a couple of elk with it here in Montana. Shooting 286 Norma Oryx.
How do you find the oryx? And are you running reloads?
I have a Ruger no.1 in 9.3 and liked it enough to get a double rifle in 9.3, now I am working up loads that will regulate and about to start in on a few boxes of the oryx, as I am taking them for plains game in Aug.

How do you find the oryx? And are you running reloads?
I have a Ruger no.1 in 9.3 and liked it enough to get a double rifle in 9.3, now I am working up loads that will regulate and about to start in on a few boxes of the oryx, as I am taking them for plains game in Aug.
I bought a few boxes of the discontinued Norma American Ph Oryx ammo years ago in anticipation of going to Africa someday. I will be reloading after they are gone. Almost pulled the trigger on a double a few times. Best of luck with yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeborahEde

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!