Allure of the Ruger No1

I bought a few boxes of the discontinued Norma American Ph Oryx ammo years ago in anticipation of going to Africa someday. I will be reloading after they are gone. Almost pulled the trigger on a double a few times. Best of luck with yours.
If I find some good loads for the oryx I will let you know. I managed to get a steal on a Krieg double rifle drilling, so it will be my plains game gun.
But fear not, my DG gun is another Ruger no.1, a 458wm that is at the smith getting rebarreled to a 500ne

I just bought a No 1 RSI in 7x57 off of GB. These things have been going for north of $2k in recent months. This one was listed with a very reasonable "Buy Now" price. In fact, the price was so good, I suspected a scam. The seller had a good scorecard and a legit bricks and mortar location. Picked it up at my FFL and we both agreed it looked pristine clean and shot very little. I have some 160 gr Swift A Frames I loaded for my Win M70 7x57, so I will try them out first. I found the 160 gr SAFs to be very effective last year on PG when I hunted with @spike.t in Zambia.

1718039333891.jpeg

Last edited:
You've got the "old style" front sight insert should you wish to change it. It refers to the hole where the retainer pin locks the sight in is situated being ahead or behind the sight. The rear sight is nothing more than a marble flip up. You can struggle with them and their poor visibility until you get the gun zeroed with a favored load. Then you can measure the front sight insert from the base to the top of the ball and the rear front base to bottom of the cup and order fixed sights that better suit. The .458's aren't as bad as some portray. Stand as a man should behind a rifle such as this and let it roll. The tricky part is that they tend to get going quickly from a dead stop when loaded stoutly. It's great fun and quite a thrill. If you wanted tame you can always procure a .375! I use my tropicals for deer rifles. Haven't had any complaints.

What sights have you personally used? I am seeing NECG and XS. I like an XS sight someone posted on another forum but I cannot seem to find the adapter the person used.

What sights have you personally used? I am seeing NECG and XS. I like an XS sight someone posted on another forum but I cannot seem to find the adapter the person used.
I really like the NECG ghost ring. Im a fan of their white line post sught. I leave the ring lower in the rear sight body and file the front down. I like the Leupold 1.5-5x20 scopes a lot but this 450/400ne 3" is great with peep. The front sight here is unfiled. It requires quite a bit of careful sanding to fit. NECG folks were very helpful when I called asking about specific installation issues.

20240531_211854_copy_1023x731.jpg
20240531_211905_copy_813x1037.jpg

I really like the NECG ghost ring. Im a fan of their white line post sught. I leave the ring lower in the rear sight body and file the front down. I like the Leupold 1.5-5x20 scopes a lot but this 450/400ne 3" is great with peep. The front sight here is unfiled. It requires quite a bit of careful sanding to fit. NECG folks were very helpful when I called asking about specific installation issues.

View attachment 612492View attachment 612493
How much fun did you have removing the factory front sight?

How much fun did you have removing the factory front sight?
The Ruger front sight insert is held in my a spring loaded detent. It very easy to remove and a bit of sanding the base of the NECG to fit the new. It slides right in and out. The necg is longer than my base so i also had to grind off some from the front but necg ships them with the line partially cut. Pretty easy with basic abilities

Sweating off the ruger band to install an alternative would be an entire different level of difficulty.

But the lettering looks almost cartoonish

That’s gold inlaid lettering, I’m not sure if it can be done much better than that to be honest.

That’s gold inlaid lettering, I’m not sure if it can be done much better than that to be honest.
I don’t think I’m incorrect in saying this example from Rigby is 100% better. And yes, I am fully aware that was inland gold.

IMG_9664.jpeg

XS Sights are nice. Using them on a Ruger #1 will take a bit of gunsmithing to drill and tap the rib. An XS sight for Marlin Lever actions is flat bottomed and can be installed with D/T. I had this done on a Ruger Number 1 years ago. While the XS sight is wider than the rib, it still the lowest profile. And works.

The Ruger front sight insert is held in my a spring loaded detent. It very easy to remove and a bit of sanding the base of the NECG to fit the new. It slides right in and out. The necg is longer than my base so i also had to grind off some from the front but necg ships them with the line partially cut. Pretty easy with basic abilities

Sweating off the ruger band to install an alternative would be an entire different level of difficulty.
I've replaced 3 front sight blades on #1s and all 3 were a royal pain. one was so tight; the band moved a little bit. The 1st one I owned had the button in the front of the base underneath the blade. I never was able to remove that one. Three hands would be a big help.

I've replaced 3 front sight blades on #1s and all 3 were a royal pain. one was so tight; the band moved a little bit. The 1st one I owned had the button in the front of the base underneath the blade. I never was able to remove that one. Three hands would be a big help.
I’ve been lucky replacing the front sight blade on later models Ruger #1. Easier on the new models

Skinner sights makes a nice streamlined ghost ring for thr No 1

I might have to message you on this. I like your idea, I just picture what you are saying with filing down the front sight.

XS Sights are nice. Using them on a Ruger #1 will take a bit of gunsmithing to drill and tap the rib. An XS sight for Marlin Lever actions is flat bottomed and can be installed with D/T. I had this done on a Ruger Number 1 years ago. While the XS sight is wider than the rib, it still the lowest profile. And works.

Is this your gun?

73091.jpg

This is actually what had caught my eye.

Until I am able to lock a double rifle up in my gun safe the Ruger No1 will be my default rifle. It points like a good shotgun. It is elegant as can be and it is the easiest gun to show clear that has been made. I have always had a love affair with the No1 and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

IMG_7008.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidTaine

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?