Allure of the Ruger No1

The 30-06 has arrived at home at last, and it should see some hunting action in a few weeks, we are going after a wild pig to add to our game Christmas table. It is really neat and compact, as all No1’s are, I really like the plain wood too.
11DE1370-AB96-4DEC-85F9-A705D2FB93C0.jpeg

They banned them in Canada. Not sure where that stands. I have one, but for now, the less said the better. Good news, semi-auto 9.3x62s are still legal.

(ban on the 1s has yet to take effect, and was repealed once, I think)

They banned them in Canada. Not sure where that stands. I have one, but for now, the less said the better. Good news, semi-auto 9.3x62s are still legal.

(ban on the 1s has yet to take effect, and was repealed once, I think)
What kind of loony thinking would make the powers that be decide to ban a classic single shot hunting rifle? We are truly living in strange times.

It the rifle above the No.1 suitable for dangerous game? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The 30-06 has arrived at home at last, and it should see some hunting action in a few weeks, we are going after a wild pig to add to our game Christmas table. It is really neat and compact, as all No1’s are, I really like the plain wood too.
View attachment 570783
Let us know how she shoots! My identical rifle groups most factory loaded 165 cup N cores to 1.5” which Is more than adequate for even shots out to 350 yards.

Let us know how she shoots! My identical rifle groups most factory loaded 165 cup N cores to 1.5” which Is more than adequate for even shots out to 350 yards.
Will do. By the way does anyone have an MV with 180 grain factory ammo, say Hornady?

Will do. By the way does anyone have an MV with 180 grain factory ammo, say Hornady?
I do not have MV but….
It’s what I used in Namibia. I did not want to check a bag besides my rifle case; so I had Philip @KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS arrange some 30/06 for me. He had two boxes of 180gr Hornady factory whitetail (Hornady SP) waiting for me in Namibia

Shot decent but Results were excellent on game. 160 Frontal shot on mountain zebra stallion… dropped and never moved again

180 gr lead nose out of a short 22 inch 30-06 seems to be a great combo on large game and doesn’t blow up the little ones to bad.

Last edited:
To clarify about the Government of Canada ban of the No. 1:
1. Yes, the No. 1 was on at least one of the lists the feds have put out the past couple of years.
2. While I wouldn't put any stupidity past the Trudeau government, I actually believe them on this particular item that the intent was to ban rifles that fire a cartridge over 10,000 J, which includes things like 50 BMG, 460 Wby and 416 CheyTac. Apparently because the RCMP is aware of at least one No. 1 chambered in 460 Wby, the No. 1 made it on a list of affected models. (Note: I completely disagree with all aspects of the recent bans, I'm just writing down the status as I understand it.)
3. At minimum, the feds are guilty of poorly written legislation and regulations. There could easily be a scenario where, for example, police are in a home because of a 911 call (say, someone had a heart attack but the call was a bit confused and the cops show up along with the ambulance), and a legally stored No. 1 (trigger locked) is standing next to the fireplace. Some police in Canada may charge the owner with possession of a prohibited firearm or something like that. Even if eventually vindicated, you have to pay tens of thousands in legal bills (maybe you have legal insurance that covers it, that's the best case scenario, but still a horrible, punishing process).

Here's another one, It's a 300WM. I bought a barreled action many moons ago and had a stock custom made by Fajen in Warsaw MO, hand carved and fitted to me. Although it's hard to see in this image, the wood alone is quite outstanding. I made the mistake of having it Magna-Ported.
IMG-20230603-WA0003.jpg

Nice. It's been restocked, did you have it done or did it come to you that way?
I had this rifle built from an action in the white, added a Brux barrel, barrel hanger, and Jard trigger. Metal work by John McLaughlin, stock by Gary Goudy, and finishing by Pete Mazur. This is a very accurate 25-'06.

I had this rifle built from an action in the white, added a Brux barrel, barrel hanger, and Jard trigger.
I also use Jard triggers on my No 1's, they are the best in my opinion. Comparing Ruger's trigger to Jard's simple design it really is a lesson in over engineering.

Gorgeous rifles, especially the wood on the one with the Zeiss.
Thanks. That's the 375. The gentleman I acquired the rifle from had dreams of taking it to Africa, but unfortunately never made it. Guess it's up to me to pick up where he left off.
I've considered restocking the 45-70, but I have a long list of other projects first.

Mark

Question to those with knowledge and ruger no1 experience:

Ruger no 1: what type of cartridges does it prefer: rimmed or rimless?

(there are both types of chamberings for this rifle)

Question to those with knowledge and ruger no1 experience:

Ruger no 1: what type of cartridges does it prefer: rimmed or rimless?

(there are both types of chamberings for this rifle)
It doesn't seem to matter much. I had the ejector on my .500 modified because of the size of the rimmed cartridge and that it came to me as a 458WM. Took a bit of monkeying around but I finally got it to eject with some gusto.

The force of ejection can be adjusted somewhat by a screw on the hanger. The problem is that the tighter you make it the closer you get to binding the action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doris0158

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!