Allure of the Ruger No1

My Ruger No 1 Tropical in 416 Rigby with a Zeiss 1-4. I’ll be taking it to South Africa next August. There’s just something about those No 1s.
IMG_9518.jpeg

My Ruger No 1 Tropical in 416 Rigby with a Zeiss 1-4. I’ll be taking it to South Africa next August. There’s just something about those No 1s.
View attachment 575339
That's a really good and practical looking setup. I guess those are Warne Ruger rings? I'm curious, what height are they?

That is a nice heavy barrel profile too.
I'm going to drive 400gr North Fork CPS and SS heads down it being pushed by 97gr of VV 560 (for 2350fps) out of brand new Norma brass. I think this is going to be a smashingly good combo!!

I've been looking to purchase a No.1 lately and some have just gone for crazy, stupid expensive prices on GB. I've been looking for either a 243 or 257 Roberts, something light recoil with iron sights that grandkids can shoot. Lots of No.1s selling north of $2k! It seems like to the mid calibers, like a 30-06, are more reasonably priced, with $1200-1500 being the norm. I might go this route and just load so low recoil practice ammo and the grandkids will eventually grow into the full tilt 06 a few years down the road.f the No.

BTW, I contacted Lipsey's recently to ask them about any future production on Ruger No.1s and they said they'll be some in 2024.

I've been looking to purchase a No.1 lately and some have just gone for crazy, stupid expensive prices on GB. I've been looking for either a 243 or 257 Roberts, something light recoil with iron sights that grandkids can shoot. Lots of No.1s selling north of $2k! It seems like to the mid calibers, like a 30-06, are more reasonably priced, with $1200-1500 being the norm. I might go this route and just load so low recoil practice ammo and the grandkids will eventually grow into the full tilt 06 a few years down the road.f the No.

BTW, I contacted Lipsey's recently to ask them about any future production on Ruger No.1s and they said they'll be some in 2024.
There is a #1A 7257Roberts on guns international right now with an asking price of $1500. It looks to be in great condition.

There is a #1A 7257Roberts on guns international right now with an asking price of $1500. It looks to be in great condition.

Great caliber
For a No 1!

Prices of No 1s are crazy up here in Canada as well. Sooo, this is where I mention I got the tropical 416 Rigby and 100 new Norma brass for CAD $1800 last year.

I've got a question about the groove at the tip of the forearm. What is it for? Does it have a name?
1702948052966.jpeg

Thank you both for the info!

Ya, Warne rings, I want to say medium height.
I wonder if you could get that scope dropped lower to the rib. I have a similar setup on my .375 #1, and I really like having scopes mounted as low as they can go.
One theory is the groove is for standing a rifle in a wagon or truck, barrel straight up and securing it with a tie.
I find it fits the web between the thumb and forefinger really well when picking the rifle up by the forend after leaning it. Other than that I am at a loss and glad to know I am not the only one who wonders about this.

I wonder if you could get that scope dropped lower to the rib. I have a similar setup on my .375 #1, and I really like having scopes mounted as low as they can go.
Not sure if I want to lower it, I want to leave enough room to get those torpedoes in under the scope.

One theory is the groove is for standing a rifle in a wagon or truck, barrel straight up and securing it with a tie.
I never liked that goofy thing on the Tropical model so cut it off and replaced with ebony. Thinking about it now though I could have inlayed a piece of metal and used it as a bottle opener in a pinch.

Never been attracted to them ... at all. I'm old enough to remember when they first came out. I was a kid working in a sporting goods store. Thought to myself, "These won't last. Just a flash in the pan novelty." But they did last. Ruger launched a clever ad campaign with the guy on the mountain about to shoot a full curl ram, etc. The rifle was pretty and it was unique. Who wants to be ordinary? They sold well and the novelty hasn't worn off.

I preferred to hunt hard in adverse conditions. Reloading a single shot in a snowstorm with gloves on did not appeal to me much. Also, if I have to make a follow up shot, especially at dangerous game, I DO NOT want to take my eyes off the animal to reload. Anyone can shuck another round into a Mauser or Springfield without looking at the gun. Heck, I can even load the magazine blindfolded. Can even an experienced shooter do that with a No. 1? Hmmm.

Yes they can. The fastest time and score in the Zimbabwe PH proficiency trials was with a Ruger No1. My buddy recently won our big bore comp which involves timed shots with a No1 in 375 H&H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilbertHer

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!