Allure of the Ruger No1

New member of the Ruger No1 reporting in! :D

Just came back from the store, with in hand a used 270 Win Ruger No1 (€600 / $660). It is apart from some dents in the wood from the safe, brand new. It is also very short, overall handling very fine. For the first time handling a Ruger No1 I was very impressed! The serial number puts it around 1997 production)

I had a used 300WM Ruger No1 (€520 / $572) on the counter for a long time too, it had even nicer wood, and a red recoil pad, but in the end I decided against it (as I already have a rifle chambered in .300WM). Hopefully I will not regret leaving that one behind... (I'm a bit starting to regret it though, let's give it a few days.)

There were also some used Ruger No1's in 22-250, 243 and 280, all immaculate, all for around 500-600EUR (=550-660USD). The 22-250 I do not really know as a caliber, and it did not have irons and quarter rib. The 243 is one caliber I really do not like (even before being exposed to @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .. :E Rofl: ). The 280REM also was with a bull barrel, no iron sights, but with quarter rib and is not a very common caliber over here.

So now I'll be off going through the AH threads in search of how to make this little Ruger No1 truly a custom rifle. I'd like to scope it too, but don't know yet what route I want to go there... a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 perhaps? Don't want to put too expensive glass on this rifle.

Now I need to create some hunting opportunities with all these recent investments!

Cheers!

V.

View attachment 457901

You-Have-Chosen-Wisely.jpg

I couldn’t find any previous posts in this thread, and I hate being even a little off topic. But I am trying to mount a scope on my No. 1. It has what I assume are factory rings. But they don’t seem to align right when I try to check them using the Wheeler scope mounting kit. They’re close, but not dead on...And I haven’t had any luck trying to adjust the mounts.

Any advice specific to the No. 1 rings? Or, is a quick detach ring that fits on the No. 1 and mounts to factory half-moon cutouts? Or bases for QD rings that mount with the half moon cutouts?

If I remember correctly I used the Warne QD low mounts, the back one has the half moon to match the Ruger No1. Then you fit the same back one on the front as well to get the height right, obviously without the half moon. I didn't have to buy two sets because someone else wanted the two fronts, lucky!
10597540-4443-4212-98CB-9ACC297238E7.jpeg

I posted these pics on another thread, but thought they fit this thread as well. Here’s my 300 H&H with new stocks. I started with semi inletted stocks bought off a guy in California. I did the final inletting and stock finishing. Shoots better than before since the forend is now free floated.

E6626837-1161-40F7-9E95-9ED3C236167F.jpeg
93AEC149-49E9-402D-8D7C-AE296273459B.jpeg
6B4325AD-B91C-4621-B083-38649F2FA59B.jpeg

My load may not work in your rifle. Work up to it per the loading manual recommendatigons.

I posted these pics on another thread, but thought they fit this thread as well. Here’s my 300 H&H with new stocks. I started with semi inletted stocks bought off a guy in California. I did the final inletting and stock finishing. Shoots better than before since the forend is now free floated.

View attachment 490678View attachment 490679View attachment 490680
My load may not work in your rifle. Work up to it per the loading manual recommendatigons.

Very nice timber on this n°1

Two seasons running and I'm not finding any allure at all;)...the rifles are apparently very good at running shots. If I were a better hunter:P Elmer Fudd:, I reckon they'd be good at still shots too. :E Lol: View attachment 509648View attachment 509649
@Forrest Halley
A 375H&H is a bit of overkill one game that size mate, but don't worry I won't tell any one that's what calibre it is it will be our little secret.
Won't tell them that the bullet came apart on it either.

@Forrest Halley
A 375H&H is a bit of overkill one game that size mate, but don't worry I won't tell any one that's what calibre it is it will be our little secret.
Won't tell them that the bullet came apart on it either.
Awww Bob, I’ve used mine on ground squirrels!

I couldn’t find any previous posts in this thread, and I hate being even a little off topic. But I am trying to mount a scope on my No. 1. It has what I assume are factory rings. But they don’t seem to align right when I try to check them using the Wheeler scope mounting kit. They’re close, but not dead on...And I haven’t had any luck trying to adjust the mounts.

Any advice specific to the No. 1 rings? Or, is a quick detach ring that fits on the No. 1 and mounts to factory half-moon cutouts? Or bases for QD rings that mount with the half moon cutouts?
I use the Leupold rings instead of the Ruger factory rings. They seem to be finished better and more precisely made. Never an issue there with fit or alignment.

Here's my #1 I plan to take with me on my first trip to Africa. It's a 9.3x74R I got when CDNN was blowing them out for $600 a couple years ago. I know the camo scope is ugly, got that on clearance too (VX6HD 2-12 tri-moa). Took some fiddling with the forend to get it to group consistently. I eventually sanded the tip down and then put a dense piece of rubber between the tip of the forend and the barrel, relieved the wood in the forend around the action, and played with the screw tension. Now it groups consistently 1/2 MOA with 250 Nosler Accubonds and RL-17 (only 1 MOA with Partitions). Using a rangefinder I can confidently hit 1 gallon jugs out to 450 yards from a pack or sandbag. I think that's beyond my practical hunting limit for this cartridge, but should make 300 yards reasonable.

Included a photo of how to modify the safety for clear ejection if you don't want to buy a new safety. Just need to remove it and grind a profile on the front, then a little cold blue. It will now eject the big rimmed cases 3 feet behind the rifle. (Have to credit my handy father for this one!)

View attachment 418504View attachment 418505
Thanks for the picture of the streamlined safety. The bevel on the front makes it look classic. I'm going to show this to my gunsmith for him to do the same to my two #1's

That’s actually a very interesting cartridge for a No 1. Please don’t post a picture!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PasqualeSt

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!