Alec Baldwin Movie Set Accident

Never ending story!

For civilians, two slide pulls and visual check of chamber, is sufficient.
By "civilians" I dont mean CCW holders, but those who shoot recreationally or competitively in daylight hours on the range.
Explanation:
In case user forgets to remove the mag first, on empty chamber and full mag, first pull of slide will have still a chamber empty, second pull of slide will extract the first round, bringing attention to user that something is wrong.
Visual check, must be done, in case extractor is broken.
Finger off the trigger at all times, of course
That assumes the firearm is working properly. If there is a problem with extractor, ejector, or magazine then not so much. The extractor fails to hook over the cartridge rim, and you have a live round in the chamber. Or if a cartridge gets stuck in the magazine, then later gets bumped loose when working the action and ends up in the chamber; I've seen this a number of times on shotguns or rifles with tubular magazines. Usually caused by grit binding-up the magazine follower and/or spring.

Visually inspecting the chamber and looking at the magazine follower is the only way to be certain.

That assumes the firearm is working properly. If there is a problem with extractor, ejector, or magazine then not so much. The extractor fails to hook over the cartridge rim, and you have a live round in the chamber. Or if a cartridge gets stuck in the magazine, then later gets bumped loose when working the action and ends up in the chamber; I've seen this a number of times on shotguns or rifles with tubular magazines. Usually caused by grit binding-up the magazine follower and/or spring.

Visually inspecting the chamber and looking at the magazine follower is the only way to be certain.
There is no way possible for a single action revolver to fire even with a live round in the chamber until the hammer is manually cocked and the trigger pulled. The only exception being a vintage Colt with no transfer bar and even then only if it is dropped and lands on the hammer.

There is no way possible for a single action revolver to fire even with a live round in the chamber until the hammer is manually cocked and the trigger pulled. The only exception being a vintage Colt with no transfer bar and even then only if it is dropped and lands on the hammer.
Newboomer: You are absolutely correct as regards single action revolvers. However, I was responding to Mark-Hunter's post concerning magazine-fed firearms.

Newboomer: You are absolutely correct as regards single action revolvers. However, I was responding to Mark-Hunter's post concerning magazine-fed firearms.
Totally agree with your post. I was responding to the baldwin case. He has no excuse and should be proecuted to the fullest extent of the law --- about 20 years worth behind bars. Call it learning for his next movie role.

Totally agree with your post. I was responding to the baldwin case. He has no excuse and should be proecuted to the fullest extent of the law --- about 20 years worth behind bars. Call it learning for his next movie role.
I don’t know what happened but he should take some responsibility. Unfortunately with his money he can fight and the whole case just becomes more theatrics in the court room.
As the director of the movie and person who pulled the trigger with a loaded round in the chamber causing another person’s death he must be held accountable for his actions.

I first saw Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians getting Coffee in Cars" on some long airplane flight. This is an episode with Alec Baldwin. You can see how he treats the waitress, basically being a jerk.

I first saw Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians getting Coffee in Cars" on some long airplane flight. This is an episode with Alec Baldwin. You can see how he treats the waitress, basically being a jerk.

Thanks for sharing this. Never saw it. How is your back ?

Thanks for sharing this. Never saw it. How is your back ?
My back is much better, thanks for asking. I’d say it’s about 90% back to normal. That might be as good as it gets. Thankful it didn’t require surgery.

Did you not read the part where he said a visual check must be done? Twice?
Yes I did. I was merely reinforcing that thought, and mentioning the potential for a cartridge to be stuck in the (tubular) magazine. Guess I've seen too many people over the years who work the action a couple of times and call it good without bothering to conduct the visual check.

Oh. Well done then. I shall reiterate. CHECK THE CHAMBER!
Is that enough then?

Yes, I believe we can leave it there.

Yes I did. I was merely reinforcing that thought, and mentioning the potential for a cartridge to be stuck in the (tubular) magazine. Guess I've seen too many people over the years who work the action a couple of times and call it good without bothering to conduct the visual check.

Unfortunately I did more than that as you have described.

With me Firearms Safety is priority one! Don't care who are or how long you have been around firearms. No firearm is safe until I have checked it and expect the same from anyone I hand a firearm to!

At the time I had a Marlin 30-30, Model 336C. Had it at the range, shot 2 plus boxes of shells. I was sure my shell count was correct. when I left the range. Since I reloaded, all spent brass is retrieved.

Every firearm was checked to insure none were loaded before casing them up. All were visibly clear.

Cleaned my 30-30 as well as all my other firearms used that day. Checked the actions and all was good on all the firearms. Then by chance the 30-30 got bumped against my desk where I had been cleaning the firearms.

As I did the final wipe down before storing the 30-30 into the cabinet I opened the action one final time and a round was in the loading ramp.

Needless to say a WTF moment. Afterward the rifle received extra attention.

Having had no more such problems after range practice or returning from hunting.

A few months later. Year was 1978 or 1979 things were a lot different back then.

I'm flying to Ohio with my firearms, they've been a field to the range numerous times cleaned and stored, checked before leaving for the airport even checked at the counter to ensure no rounds in the firearms.

I'm halfway to the departure gate when over the PA system I hear my name and please report to the check in counter. When I arrived back at the check in counter there was a fellow holding my rifle with the action open. As I was arriving to the counter I heard the lady at say we both checked it to the fellow holding my rifle.

One look and I could see the problem. A round in the loading ramp.

The fellow handed me my rifle and asked that I clear the round, bumped magazine and around the rifle several times worked the action twice, opened the action for inspection and handed back to the fellow for his inspection.

Once he was satisfied the rifle was clear he placed the rifle and the round back into the travel case. Afterwards all he said was thank you. Hope you have a good flight.

That was then. By today's standards, I would probably still be on the No Fly list.

Point is no matter how safety conscious a person is, or lack there of, a round can get lodge in a tubular magazine stay there through repeated loading, firing, cleaning, and several function checks before being dislodged.

Well counting your shells.....BS.

I forget how many rounds the 30-30 cal 336C held but this one obviously held one in a secret compartment known only to Nomes. I load 6 shells I eject 6 shells, 5 shells in 5 shells out. Always followed by a visual inspection.

These are the only 2 times this happened over the 5 or 6 years that I owned this rifle and the only tubular magazine rifle I have ever had this kind of bad experience with.

Unfortunately I did more than that as you have described.

With me Firearms Safety is priority one! Don't care who are or how long you have been around firearms. No firearm is safe until I have checked it and expect the same from anyone I hand a firearm to!

At the time I had a Marlin 30-30, Model 336C. Had it at the range, shot 2 plus boxes of shells. I was sure my shell count was correct. when I left the range. Since I reloaded, all spent brass is retrieved.

Every firearm was checked to insure none were loaded before casing them up. All were visibly clear.

Cleaned my 30-30 as well as all my other firearms used that day. Checked the actions and all was good on all the firearms. Then by chance the 30-30 got bumped against my desk where I had been cleaning the firearms.

As I did the final wipe down before storing the 30-30 into the cabinet I opened the action one final time and a round was in the loading ramp.

Needless to say a WTF moment. Afterward the rifle received extra attention.

Having had no more such problems after range practice or returning from hunting.

A few months later. Year was 1978 or 1979 things were a lot different back then.

I'm flying to Ohio with my firearms, they've been a field to the range numerous times cleaned and stored, checked before leaving for the airport even checked at the counter to ensure no rounds in the firearms.

I'm halfway to the departure gate when over the PA system I hear my name and please report to the check in counter. When I arrived back at the check in counter there was a fellow holding my rifle with the action open. As I was arriving to the counter I heard the lady at say we both checked it to the fellow holding my rifle.

One look and I could see the problem. A round in the loading ramp.

The fellow handed me my rifle and asked that I clear the round, bumped magazine and around the rifle several times worked the action twice, opened the action for inspection and handed back to the fellow for his inspection.

Once he was satisfied the rifle was clear he placed the rifle and the round back into the travel case. Afterwards all he said was thank you. Hope you have a good flight.

That was then. By today's standards, I would probably still be on the No Fly list.

Point is no matter how safety conscious a person is, or lack there of, a round can get lodge in a tubular magazine stay there through repeated loading, firing, cleaning, and several function checks before being dislodged.

Well counting your shells.....BS.

I forget how many rounds the 30-30 cal 336C held but this one obviously held one in a secret compartment known only to Nomes. I load 6 shells I eject 6 shells, 5 shells in 5 shells out. Always followed by a visual inspection.

These are the only 2 times this happened over the 5 or 6 years that I owned this rifle and the only tubular magazine rifle I have ever had this kind of bad experience with.
Learned back when I was competing 3 gun to thump the butt on the ground a few times after clearing. I've shaken one loose a few times in a tubular magazine after a long sequence and things heat up some.

Damn. I guess a tubular magazine needs an easily recognized dummy loaded in one end and ejected from the other. At least before travel.

Any similar bad experiences with tubular mag on pump action shotgun?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NCUSoon770

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.
RLP wrote on professor's profile.
Good morning. I am a Ruger fan myself. Have you sold to anyone on the site before? How old is the ammo?

RLP