Alaskan Lady that loves to hunt and fish

AK Huntress

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am AK Huntress. I live in Alaska and LOVE hunting and fishing. I get out as much as possible. My main rifle I use here is a Tikka 30-06. I love fishing and spend as much time on the water as possible in the summers. I'm super excited to go hunting in Africa next year. Having a hard time deciding on what species to target because I want to hunt them all. Hoping that joining this forum will help me narrow it down a bit.
I'm excited to be here and learn everything I can.

Welcome from a fellow Alaskan! (Dillingham) And congrats on finding the best hunting site on the internet. I am sure you will receive many suggestions about species to hunt.

Good to have you here. :)

Howdy from Texas!

Kudu is always top of the list. Spectacular trophy and the most challenging plains game to hunt. I have three on the wall and probably more to come. They are an addiction.
20231005_224245.jpg

Enjoy your planning. Welcome to AH

Welcome to the AH family from Michigan. Happy to have you here. There's some awesome people around here.

Glad to have you on the forum! Always great to have another huntress in the group.

Yes, welcome and good luck on your safari! I just returned to CO from guiding bear hunters on the Alaska Peninsula.

Where are you hunting in Africa?

I will be leaving a week from Sunday for my first trip over to Africa. This trip has been 16 months in the planning. My final "wish" list is a Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok, and Honey Badger. Of course everyone has told me to be happy with what Africa gives you, so I remain flexible.

Welcome to AH.

Having a hard time deciding on what species to target because I want to hunt them all. Hoping that joining this forum will help me narrow it down a bit.

I am assuming you meant to say which....species to target...first.

As for joining this forum to help you narrow it down a bit.:E Horrified:.:E Rofl:
Wel..come to the dark side.

We will gladly encourage you,...Ahm, I mean help you to decide to hunt everything Africa offers to be (legally of course) hunted.

Are you wanting a 7 day, 10 day, 14 day, or 30 day, trip?

What country(ies)? And What time (month(s)) of year?

Any sightseeing days, or non hunting side trips, or fishing trips?

How many animals do you want to hunt and how many animals do you want on your Animal of Opportunity List?

Are you planning on taxidermy? In country or at home?

Do some Trophy Fee and Daily Rate Fee shopping around. And ask if not on an outfitter's website as to travel days: Are travel included or in addition to your number of hunt days:

Example: 7 days or 7 hunting days.

7 Days
An outfitter may include your arrival and/or departure days; meaning you only have 5 or 6 hunting days.

7 Hunting Days
An outfitter doesn't include your arrival and departure days; meaning you have 7 full hunting days and depending on your arrival time to and/or departure time from the lodge/camp you may have a chance at an afternoon hunt on your arrival day and/or at a morning hunt on your departure at no extra charge(s).

JMO first trip should be about seeing Africa and soaking it all in with a PG hunt. Preferably 10 hunting days/ 12 days total.

Animals:

Kudu or Gemsbok or Lechwe or Eland
Impala
Blesbok
Springbok
Warthog
Black or Blue Wildebeest,
or Bushbuck

Animals of Opportunity:

Black Back Jackal
Baboon
Duiker

(if budgeted for)

Zebra
Nyala
Steenbok

For a 7 hunting days trip I would suggest only going after 1 of the bigger PG and the variety of medium size PG.

For a 14 hunting days trip and budget permitted, I would suggest going after 4 of the bigger PG as the medium size PG could be Africa's opportunity animals to you.

Hello AK, welcome to AH. If you are coming to Africa set your sights on a Buffalo, straight off or build into it. Why not?

Hello AK, welcome to AH. If you are coming to Africa set your sights on a Buffalo, straight off or build into it. Why not?

Why not?.....Why not? :E Horrified: How dare you?

1) A DG first safari sort of takes the thrill out of hunting PG.

2) DG requires a bigger budget.

3) And Most importantly, We AH members are here to corrupt....Ahm, I meant to say entice our new members into repeat safaris to Africa and to (legally) hunt everything Africa has to offer.

After all once a hunter "Feels the Rush" of hunting DG, hunting PG becomes so mundane. :cool::E Small:

Why not?.....Why not? :E Horrified: How dare you?

1) A DG first safari sort of takes the thrill out of hunting PG.

2) DG requires a bigger budget.

3) And Most importantly, We AH members are here to corrupt....Ahm, I meant to say entice our new members into repeat safaris to Africa and to (legally) hunt everything Africa has to offer.

After all once a hunter "Feels the Rush" of hunting DG, hunting PG becomes so mundane. :cool::E Small:
No man! Ten Buffalo then, with PG on the side of each!!

@AK Huntress welcome from another fellow Alaskan (Kenai Peninsula).

Welcome to AH from the Wyoming Surgeon Spend a lot of time in the summer in the Kenai and have for years. Just finishing 22d in the Capriva in Namibia hunting buffalo and Leopards and I will tell you Alaska and the bush of Africa are magical places! Look forward to making that connection with you to add you my list of many friends in both places

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velva37941

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.