Acquisition of a Double Rifle

There are bargains out there regarding pre WW2 british doubles....mainly in Europe...not the top end brands but honest Birmingham made rifles. Many are worn/shot out, but not all. If the barrels are good all else can be fixed..

If chambered in one of the not so common cartridges (ie not .450 - 470 - .450/400 3") and less known makers they come relatively cheap..

Given the multiple comments on "fit" in this thread, buying a double online and having it shipped to your local dealer may not be the best idea.

I have an eye on a couple doubles at Champlin and seems a road trip is advisable to get the LOP, and possibly the cast fitted correctly.
My Kreighoff dealer fit my double to me. We extended the LOP as I’ve had to do on all my guns. Mike and Pam at Alamo in Boerne, TX are good to work with. They have a good selection of new and used Blasers as well.

If a man wanted to get into a double rifle but did not have several thousand dollars to spend where would you start. Let's say $8000 was the cap. I have a trip to Zim in 2022 and I'm hunting buffalo and I have all the necessary equipment but I really really want to use a double...I have some rifles I.could sell to help fund the situation but I need to know from some guys in the know. What is the bottom line in double rifles

In short, you will own trash more likely than not with your goals. Buy a very, very good bolt rifle instead.

Caveat Emptor: $8000 double rifles are both overpriced and often will cost you double the purchase price to get them servicable.

Only slightly stretching the topic, but if I could come up with a reason to buy a Heym tomorrow, I would be sorely tempted by this set. Yes, it is an OU, and yes, in .375 it would have those little spring-loaded tabs (which have never failed on any I have owned). Looking at the screws, it apparently is a side-plated Kersten boxlock which are typically like bank vaults. But what a cool and totally useful combination to take almost anywhere. I assume it was created as a high end SCI auction set.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.30.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.30.17 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.30.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.30.18 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 160
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.30.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.30.20 AM.png
    862.5 KB · Views: 171
Very nice.....

I have a Hungarian O/U with a very solid action that has double Kersten locks...I have been unable to determine who made the original action but it is very strong with ejectors....
Calibers 7x65R/12ga...
I whish I could get more detail regarding the action....may then try and have extra barrels ade to fit....450/400 3" or 375 Flanged Mag and the double 9.3x74R....a gun you could hunt everything with....

Sadly nothing on Google regarding Hungarian doubles O/U.....

I have a Hungarian O/U with a very solid action that has double Kersten locks...I have been unable to determine who made the original action but it is very strong with ejectors....
Calibers 7x65R/12ga...
I whish I could get more detail regarding the action....may then try and have extra barrels ade to fit....450/400 3" or 375 Flanged Mag and the double 9.3x74R....a gun you could hunt everything with....

Sadly nothing on Google regarding Hungarian doubles O/U.....
Almost certainly the locks and barrels were sourced in Suhl. Is it a pre- or post war combination gun?

No idea on date of manufacture....can I find it somewhere on the rifle?

No idea on date of manufacture....can I find it somewhere on the rifle?
Can you PM me closeups of the proof marks on the action?

I just had a look now mmm...may be a 3" 12ga....
20210105_190842.jpg
20210105_190806.jpg
20210105_190540.jpg
20210105_190521.jpg
20210105_190247.jpg
20210105_190247.jpg

The Kersten lock is very desirable..it is very strong.. An aquaintance has a side by side double in .475 No2, made by Karl Hauptmann (Ferlach) in 1960..

OU DG rifles are just fine if you can find one, and they are inherently far easier to regulate or use with optical sights. I currently own two and several others have passed through the gun room over the years. There are just not many in the classic rimmed forties, because the Brits were able to define the dangerous game double in East Africa following the loss of Germany's colonies at the end of WWII.

A rimmed caliber is indeed best, though I regularly shoot a .375 H&H double that has never bobbled.
For that sort of money, I would look for a Continental double - Heym, Krieghoff, Blaser, Merkel, or Verney-Carron of recent manufacture. All five are far superior to a Sabatti. Most are probably going to be ok due to limited use.

There are lots of pre-war Birmingham made English boxlocks floating from hand-to-hand in your price range. In my experience, at least three-quarters will have some sort of issue (usually a very expensive issue) not readily apparent to an uneducated buyer. There are few bargains with double rifles and never any steals. Caveat emptor.

I personally would urge you to hunt your first buffalo with a rifle with which you are totally familiar and absolutely capable of precise accuracy. As a client picking a fight with a buffalo, your first and overriding responsibility is to put that first shot exactly where it needs to go - not close but exactly. Do it and everyone goes home to toast your kill. Screw that up, and you may get the opportunity to live with the responsibility of watching your PH or tracker be badly injured or worse. I have a dear friend who has been a PH in Zim and Moz for many years, and he always says that the one thing that truly terrifies him is a client on a first time buffalo hunt with his new double.

More practically, you will have to have the self-discipline to pass on a lot of opportunities. That is hard on our relatively short hunts these days - particularly a wilderness area hunt. Even at sixty yards trying to put a bullet through a tight window in the brush into the right spot on the right buffalo of a group of three standing together in the shade is a challenge with a bolt action equipped with superb optics - much less a double with salad plate accuracy at that range equipped with a big white bead.

Personally I would not have understood what you meant. After going on my first buffalo hunt I now get it. For a creature so big it is amazing how well they disappear in the shadows. Shot opportunity well, you only get so many and terrain it what is there.

I have no advice on a double, I'm in the same boat as you. I want one, with that said I have no regrets about killing my buffalo with a bolt action. Given the location and distance it would have been hard with open sights for me. Eyes are not what they used to be.

In short, you will own trash more likely than not with your goals. Buy a very, very good bolt rifle instead.

Caveat Emptor: $8000 double rifles are both overpriced and often will cost you double the purchase price to get them servicable.
Well, I may be breaking the forum rules here a bit, but that said, I have a like new Merkel Safari (140) in 450-400 I would be willing to let go for well under the "magical" $8000 figure kicked around in this thread. I have been intending to post same in "Classifieds," but just have not gotten to it - hate taking photos and posting and all that.

If a man wanted to get into a double rifle but did not have several thousand dollars to spend where would you start. Let's say $8000 was the cap. I have a trip to Zim in 2022 and I'm hunting buffalo and I have all the necessary equipment but I really really want to use a double...I have some rifles I.could sell to help fund the situation but I need to know from some guys in the know. What is the bottom line in double rifles
I've got a Merkel 450/400 3". I'd sell for 8k

I've got brass dies and load data. Solids and soft shoot great. Has a trijicon red dot sight

I'll probably have to pass at the moment. I'm just about to drop a deposit on the hunt while that is a great deal and if I were to get some other guns sold infill definitely contact you

A new Chapuis is probably in the $8K range.
$11 - $12,000 asking at Champlin but that gets you a lifetime warranty on all but the wood. And JJ Perodeou will fit it best he can to you. This is an off the shelf gun made with a long stock expecting it to be cut. And if you want, he can put a recoil reducer in the stock.

Only slightly stretching the topic, but if I could come up with a reason to buy a Heym tomorrow, I would be sorely tempted by this set. Yes, it is an OU, and yes, in .375 it would have those little spring-loaded tabs (which have never failed on any I have owned). Looking at the screws, it apparently is a side-plated Kersten boxlock which are typically like bank vaults. But what a cool and totally useful combination to take almost anywhere. I assume it was created as a high end SCI auction set.

I would have bought that

Wow, not a big fan of o/u rifles but I could justify that if it wasn't sold;)

Seems to be a lot of Merkel sellers available.

When I bought my first double I was in that $8 to 12k range. Until something grabbed my attention at a strong double of that, pun appropriately intended;)

The checkbook recovered. And I'm very pleased with my purchase:)

Seems to be a lot of Merkel sellers available.

When I bought my first double I was in that $8 to 12k range. Until something grabbed my attention at a strong double of that, pun appropriately intended;)

The checkbook recovered. And I'm very pleased with my purchase:)
You have one of the finest doubles ever made on the Continent. :A Way To Go: JJ still talks about it. Taking it over?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuiuntiy

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt