Acquisition of a Double Rifle

There are 3 "no-no's" for DG caliber double rifles.
Over under configuration is a no-no.
Non-flanged cartridge is a no-no.
Single trigger is a no-no.
If you get a double with 2 of the above 3, resale will be an issue.
Even just one of these could make it difficult.

As for caliber...
450/400NE would be a good place to start.
500/416NE and 470NE would be game changers.

Personally I like the Krieghoff Big Five and Blaser S2 for their decocker.
The Heym 88B/89B are also superb.
And you will get what you pay for.
However, your $8K budget may need to be supplemented.
Listen to BeeMaa on these three no-no's, then make sure the double fits you, perfectly. I am not an expert but I think there is a limit to hom much a gunsmith can adjust cast and drop. Rich me giving you advice, but save for longer and get something which is right. It is a lot of money, but something like a Heym 89b will retain value, whereas cheap new buys wont.

OU DG rifles are just fine if you can find one, and they are inherently far easier to regulate or use with optical sights. I currently own two and several others have passed through the gun room over the years. There are just not many in the classic rimmed forties, because the Brits were able to define the dangerous game double in East Africa following the loss of Germany's colonies at the end of WWII.

A rimmed caliber is indeed best, though I regularly shoot a .375 H&H double that has never bobbled.
For that sort of money, I would look for a Continental double - Heym, Krieghoff, Blaser, Merkel, or Verney-Carron of recent manufacture. All five are far superior to a Sabatti. Most are probably going to be ok due to limited use.

There are lots of pre-war Birmingham made English boxlocks floating from hand-to-hand in your price range. In my experience, at least three-quarters will have some sort of issue (usually a very expensive issue) not readily apparent to an uneducated buyer. There are few bargains with double rifles and never any steals. Caveat emptor.

I personally would urge you to hunt your first buffalo with a rifle with which you are totally familiar and absolutely capable of precise accuracy. As a client picking a fight with a buffalo, your first and overriding responsibility is to put that first shot exactly where it needs to go - not close but exactly. Do it and everyone goes home to toast your kill. Screw that up, and you may get the opportunity to live with the responsibility of watching your PH or tracker be badly injured or worse. I have a dear friend who has been a PH in Zim and Moz for many years, and he always says that the one thing that truly terrifies him is a client on a first time buffalo hunt with his new double.

More practically, you will have to have the self-discipline to pass on a lot of opportunities. That is hard on our relatively short hunts these days - particularly a wilderness area hunt. Even at sixty yards trying to put a bullet through a tight window in the brush into the right spot on the right buffalo of a group of three standing together in the shade is a challenge with a bolt action equipped with superb optics - much less a double with salad plate accuracy at that range equipped with a big white bead.

Last edited:
I agree with @Aaron Nietfeld ...if you're on a budget, throw the money towards more hunting.
But then most people looking at buying a double don't have many financial worries as far as purchasing more animals for hunting!

Then I would say if you have something now that will work, spend your money on ammo, spend your time on shooting, and you can go practiced up and confident! Whatever you decide, I hope you have a safe and fantastic hunt! Spend your hard earned money on memories that will last your lifetime. I won't look at your pictures and judge you for using a bolt instead of a double!!
But then again I may be able to win a competition for lowest income on this site!!

Shite after sales service.....

It took me about a year and a half to get a response from Chapuis (through an Australian agent and contacting them directly) regarding an ejection issue with a double that was purchased new. Very well built rifle, but after sales service is none existent.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Red Legs comments. I would like to add one comment. If you do find and cannot resist buying a particular double, be 100% sure that it fits you and regulates properly. We had a client early this year who had just acquired a modern quality dbl.. The client was totally unable to hit a 6" gong at any distance. Results, wounded elephant! Personally I do not think you could go wrong with a Heym 88b as long as it fits you and regulates.

To me acquiring a double is like acquiring a wife, get it right the first time!

That is sage advise I would say. I will likely hunt this first buffalo with my trusty 458 lott. I have not been able to kill anything with it yet but I have ran over 150rounds through it practicing. I carried it as a back up on a Kodiak bear hunt. My friend is a resident and he drew a tag so we spent 11 days in the bush on a DIY Kodiak hunt. Luckily I did not have to use it but in training up for that hunt I shot well over 100 rounds through it and at 50yds I could keep all of the shots on an 8" steel plate free hand firing it as fast as I could work the bolt and send them. I plan to put in a good deal more practice between now and time for this buffalo hunt.

That is sage advise I would say. I will likely hunt this first buffalo with my trusty 458 lott. I have not been able to kill anything with it yet but I have ran over 150rounds through it practicing. I carried it as a back up on a Kodiak bear hunt. My friend is a resident and he drew a tag so we spent 11 days in the bush on a DIY Kodiak hunt. Luckily I did not have to use it but in training up for that hunt I shot well over 100 rounds through it and at 50yds I could keep all of the shots on an 8" steel plate free hand firing it as fast as I could work the bolt and send them. I plan to put in a good deal more practice between now and time for this buffalo hunt.

I definitely think you are now on the right track. I’m in a similar position to you, I have a nice bolt gun for DG, would I like a double? Absolutely! But I’d rather do more hunting for now, until I’m in a financial position where the purchase of the dream double doesn’t affect my hunting prospects. If that makes sense... when I do get a double it will be a Heym 89b in .470 that I won’t put a scope on. To be used in conjunction with my Heym .404J with scope if required. I like the flexibility of having both.

I am on the opposite page - a buffalo hunt is a big deal, it is like a diamond, so many facets to enjoy, one of which is the 'right' gun. Take the money of the hunt and add it to your $8k budget, go buy a correct double and then the next buff hunt will be 120 octane! Life is too short for compromise, dont be silly with your expectations, but dont undersell your own value. Work hard and reward yourself.
1609489137993.png

I am on the opposite page - a buffalo hunt is a big deal, it is like a diamond, so many facets to enjoy, one of which is the 'right' gun. Take the money of the hunt and add it to your $8k budget, go buy a correct double and then the next buff hunt will be 120 octane! Life is too short for compromise, dont be silly with your expectations, but dont undersell your own value. Work hard and reward yourself.
View attachment 382010
Credits for the above pic to Africa.hunting and the original poster. It evokes just the right feeling.

I will likely hunt this first buffalo with my trusty 458 lott.
Good plan.
Do your practice and go hunting.
The double will be there when you get back.

If you do decide to get a double...
Spend the extra $ and have it custom fit.
@Kevin Peacocke mentioned this as well as a few others.
It's extremely important to have a proper fitting rifle.
Especially in such a large caliber.

If a man wanted to get into a double rifle but did not have several thousand dollars to spend where would you start. Let's say $8000 was the cap. I have a trip to Zim in 2022 and I'm hunting buffalo and I have all the necessary equipment but I really really want to use a double...I have some rifles I.could sell to help fund the situation but I need to know from some guys in the know. What is the bottom line in double rifles
I was in your situation. I did the following; bought a new Rizzini 470 NE from Rizzini for $10K then sold two of my guns to feel only $7K. It shoots like a dream! I get both barrels right at one inch apart at 50 yards. I am going for Buff in July 21

My wives seem to last about 8 - 9 years, I'd like a double rifle to last longer. ;)
No mentioning number of wives on here...every man needs some mulligans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesHow

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]