A Death Of Ethics: Is “Hunting” Destroying Itself?

Personally I don’t care how a coyote or wolf meets its end.

They are a shoot on sight animal to me due to the damage they do to cattle and sheep. If I’m hunting I’ll follow the laws. If I’m involved in livestock production I’ll do what is best for the animal crop in my care.
Makes perfect sense, but hunting and pest control are not exactly the same thing. Even most of those that are rabidly opposed to hunting and trapping aren't too concerned about killing rats and mice.

Those that are opposed to killing wolves under any circumstances won't care about what range you shoot them at. The Disney School of Wildlife Management has no.requirement of common sense.

Using the “I do it because it’s legal” is a very one dimensional and counterproductive argument, in my humble opinion.

It‘s basically an invitation to the antis to pressurize the government to make any particular forms of hunting illegal.

Rather, hunting should be defended on moral/environmental and socio-economical grounds.

All animals (even problem animals/predators/livestock killers) should be hunted with the objective of ending their lives as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Terming anything as a “Killing Contest” is a mark of crass tastelessness on the part of the hunter.

Now, on the other hand… It’s abundantly clear to me that this Mr. Sutton fellow is a pompous self righteous coarse fool who thinks that he is entitled to talk about trophy hunting without actually knowing anything in-depth about it. In my humble experience, “Hunters” like him are the true threat to hunting. Just because he practices one form of hunting, he thinks that he has a right to condemn hunting practices which are conducted by other hunters.

When he doesn’t realize that his boot licking of the anti hunting brigade (regardless of how eloquently it‘s written) will do him no good in the long run. Those who are seeking to ban hunting of the lion in Africa today, will seek to ban the hunting of the whitetail deer in the USA tomorrow.

Photographic safaris never can or will replace hunting safaris. Let me ask you all something. When a tourist has come to Africa (for instance) and taken his nice photograph of a lion, will he ever return to Africa again ? No, because he has taken his photograph and next year, he will spend his money elsewhere. A hunter though, will keep returning to the forests to hunt wild game on a relatively consistent frequency. Because hunting is his food for the soul. And he will keep paying for it. He is the better long term consumer of wildlife. Ergo, he is the reason why wildlife must exist.

One of these days, I also have a bone to pick with whatever muttonhead thought up the name “Trophy Hunting“. It’s such a one dimensional & shallow title. The name infers that we shoot a lion (for instance) solely for the purposes of lopping it’s head off to mount on our walls or skinning his hide to adorn our floors while the rest of the animal lies rotting… whereas nothing could be further from the truth. Big game hunting is so much more than that. As a matter of fact, I’ve hunted several lions over the years (to date) & I only retained the hide from the first male.

The problem with hunters is we're loud and proud as an interest group. Explaining to a non-hunter we kill elephants and lions is not a good entry. The best testimony is to be a good human and have the public over for a dinner of turkey and venison. When the uninformed public trusts your ethics personally, then you can explain how sport hunting of big game is true conservation. They won't cross that bridge until they believe in you. Once they believe in your ethics, you can explain how sport hunting and trophy hunting is saving species, economies, and lives. It has to start with a bowl of turkey chili that you harvested for clean living off your own land.

The problem with hunters is we're loud and proud as an interest group. Explaining to a non-hunter we kill elephants and lions is not a good entry. The best testimony is to be a good human and have the public over for a dinner of turkey and venison. When the uninformed public trusts your ethics personally, then you can explain how sport hunting of big game is true conservation. They won't cross that bridge until they believe in you. Once they believe in your ethics, you can explain how sport hunting and trophy hunting is saving species, economies, and lives. It has to start with a bowl of turkey chili that you harvested for clean living off your own land.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. It starts with something small and relatable to the common masses.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. It starts with something small and relatable to the common masses.

I would think in your area of the world, it is especially hard to convince people that hunting is conservation. You're surrounded by Hindus, and your nation is a high-population muslim country. By those circumstances, policy has been to touch nothing, harvest nothing, out of necessity. Each of us needs to meet our neighbors at their level of understanding and build trust while we expand minds.

Makes perfect sense, but hunting and pest control are not exactly the same thing. Even most of those that are rabidly opposed to hunting and trapping aren't too concerned about killing rats and mice.

Those that are opposed to killing wolves under any circumstances won't care about what range you shoot them at. The Disney School of Wildlife Management has no.requirement of common sense.

If they love them so much they should bear the cost of those worthless critters. Not only that they should take them home and let them live in their apartments with them.

If they love them so much they should bear the cost of those worthless critters. Not only that they should take them home and let them live in their apartments with them.
Maybe you haven't heard, Walt Disney taught us that animals all love each other and live forever unless some evil human kills them. "Run Bambi! Man is in the forest!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KieraAtkin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?