A Death Of Ethics: Is “Hunting” Destroying Itself?

This is a rly big crux of what I'm saying. If inhumane methods of killing predators continue to be allowed, the hammer will be brought down.

What the guy did wasn't hunting. It has nothing to do with our sport.

Again, there are tons of inhumane examples out there that have nothing to do with hunting. Just because something dies doesn't make it hunting, and to link the two is pushing anti-hunting propaganda.

"None of this is to decry hunting by the way...."

As anyone can clearly see, the rest of the article clearly supports this viewpoint, from the 2nd paragraph. ;)

The basic premise of this writeup could have easily been shared (and more easily understood) in a half-dozen paragraphs. The OP is entitled to his/her opinion, and, like the rest of us, should endeavor to conduct himself to the highest of his own ethical standards.

I can't get through the whole thing but here is the problem: There is a difference between hunting and culling or predator control. There is a different set of ethics. Most don't think about this and tend to think all killing is "hunting". For instance here in Texas coyotes are not game animals so there are no regulations on their take. As a sheep rancher dealing with historically high coyote numbers I am not going to leave anything to chance when after a coyote. I will trap, snare, shoot, hunt with thermals, hunt from a helicopter, run over them with a truck (if I had the chance) and any other means available to me to kill those predators and keep them out of my sheep. This would include a female with pups. They all have to go. This would be a far cry from how I would hunt deer, turkey, or most any kind of game animal.
We have a contingent of mostly young outdoors folks who are wish washy on standing up for all hunting. They like to criticize methods they do not employ. Gun versus bow, high fence versus low fence, etc. None of us would condone the guys actions who took the wolf to a bar but we have bad apples like any other group.
As I like to say we can hang together or hang separately.

The Sambar are no problem as they are browsers, and if anything are benefical as they eat the woody weeds- plus they are good eating.
The Kangaroos being native and given they directly compete with the cattle are a much bigger problem. There are government licenced hunters that can cull the roos. We had 450 taken off one property last year and you can hardly notice the difference, there are still 1,000s. And this gets to the point of public perception. Currently globally there is a campaign against all the fooball boot manufactures to stop using K-Leather (Kangaroo Leather) Which is a totally sustainable natural product and replace it with a synthetic hydrocarbon based inferior alternative - logic has nothing to do with it, it is all emotional. If we don't recognise and accept that emotional public campaigns could be the demise of our sport then we are naive. We must not condone any inhumane actions if we want our sport to continue.
After that rant. Here is how dingoes are controlled.
In my state Dingoes are protected, but wild dogs are vermin.
@BlueFlyer: Kangaroos are “Cute” - so that’s why people want them protected….like how a really pretty Woman can get away with Bad Behavior. I sure hope they don’t discontinue using kangaroo leather - it’s a good product, light weight leather that’s soft & strong….the few boots that I’ve had made from kangaroo leather were very comfortable.

What the guy did wasn't hunting. It has nothing to do with our sport.

Again, there are tons of inhumane examples out there that have nothing to do with hunting. Just because something dies doesn't make it hunting, and to link the two is pushing anti-hunting propaganda.
I know that but what else I know is that a lot of people are not gonna make a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loyd27R071

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!