9.3x62mm vs. .375 H&H Mag

Pardon me but this looks like calibre creep in the opposite direction. I have read countless posts and been told countless times that a 375H&H is preferred by PH's over a 400_ cal as shooters cannot handle the recoil of a 400+ calibre.
Do PH now start recommending that people bring a 9.3X62 or 35 Whelen if they cant handle the recoil of a 375H&H/Ruger.
So which is it????
Not getting emotional just want some rational though by all.

Now for those who cant handle the 375 and shoot badly did you or any of your mates see if those same people could shoot with a 9.3 or a 308 or a 243? Genuine question, because if you did not how do you know they are just shit shots?
With enough practice, nearly anyone can learn to shoot a 375H&H. The problem is those learning how to can't START with a 375H&H, they need to have shot all the lower calibers like 22lr, 270WIN, 30-06, 300WM...etc before stepping up. Working up in caliber slowly with lots of dry fire practice will instill the proper technique and habits so that when they move to a mid-bore like the 375H&H...they are properly prepared.

Also, as the caliber goes up, gun fit becomes more important and a lot of hunters only realize this too late.

I can't stand those videos of a young woman, who has never shot before, being given a 12 bore with a 3.5" turkey load.

There are thousands of ways to develop a flinch or become a "shit shot". Only a few proper ways to prevent it and still move up in caliber.

With enough practice, nearly anyone can learn to shoot a 375H&H. The problem is those learning how to can't START with a 375H&H, they need to have shot all the lower calibers like 22lr, 270WIN, 30-06, 300WM...etc before stepping up. Working up in caliber slowly with lots of dry fire practice will instill the proper technique and habits so that when they move to a mid-bore like the 375H&H...they are properly prepared.

Also, as the caliber goes up, gun fit becomes more important and a lot of hunters only realize this too late.

I can't stand those videos of a young woman, who has never shot before, being given a 12 bore with a 3.5" turkey load.

There are thousands of ways to develop a flinch or become a "shit shot". Only a few proper ways to prevent it and still move up in caliber.
I'd agree that a .375 is not a starting point to some degree. For the most part the rifles are too heavy for many to be accurate with at first. If however someone can squeeze off a 12 gauge with buckshot or turkey shot and hit what they are aiming at, there is very little difference in the .375 in my opinion. Where the .375 is very different from other rifles is in power and conservation of the same power when paired with high BC bullets. I have had some very interesting deflections when using a .375 as opposed to a .30-06 or a .223. One should realize that that bullet is going to keep on going once it has struck the ground and may go on for several hundred yards beyond ones target. It took me a second to catch on to this resilience and I definitely think about it every time I line up a shot. It's quite different and special from the bigger boomers as well in this respect. Mark and Sam after work did a nice long range shooting segment on the .375 H&H.

I have both and both will do the same job. I can tell you that a 9.3x62 typically gets a lot more eyeballs in camp. Has a certain respect amongst farm owners. Lower recoil and great penetration.

We usually get worried when hunters show up with a 375 H&H because it’s the caliber that wounds the most animals. People just aren’t comfortable shooting it. Too big for most plains game I’d say. But perfect for Eland and larger.
Get worried when hunters show up with a .375.
It's the caliber that wounds the most animals.

People aren't comfortable shooting it.

I submitt it's the people not the cartridge itself, that wounds most game.
Helping people check the zero on their rifle before the hunt might disclose this & maybe an easier shooting rifle be offered?
Just a thought!

Get worried when hunters show up with a .375.
It's the caliber that wounds the most animals.

People aren't comfortable shooting it.

I submitt it's the people not the cartridge itself, that wounds most game.
Helping people check the zero on their rifle before the hunt might disclose this & maybe an easier shooting rifle be offered?
Just a thought!
Interesting thought being the caliber that wounds the most animals. How are you coming up with this data point that the .375 is so unshootable?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I find the most challenging part of shooting some of the larger rifles is due to the increased weight that most folks struggle to steady. Given that so many people are now using stick or rests in the field, the accuracy of the shots must be improved. Offhand shooting is something that so very few actually do anymore given the amount of money involved in the hunt and the limited amount of time available. I haven't really seen the recoil of the .375 to be particularly formidable for anyone that can handle a 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot, slug or heavy charges of fine shot.

The .375 wounds more than the 416 rigby/remington/ruger? Than the .458?

I’d think if people were atrocious shots with the .375 they would be in the larger calibers as well.

Or do you mean that the hunters who bring .400+ caliber rounds are more used to large bores, thus better with them. Whereas most .375 users are getting a larger caliber than their normal for the first time?

After having hunted many years with a .375, I just completed my first trip with the 9.3x62 and I must say I am very happy with its performance. I noticed very minimal recoil for a "larger" caliber, even when shooting it on paper at the bench. In the field it knocked down this fine Livingstone Eland standing full frontal at 200 yards, with one shot of Federal premium 286 gr Barnes triple shock...about 10 seconds of dirt dancing and it was all over. I will be bringing this gun back overseas as it seems like a great "do-all" caliber for a lot of larger game. I imagine one could even adequately hunt smaller game when using solids, so as to avoid excessive damage and repair for the taxidermist. In simple terms, I'm sold on it!
IMG_9351.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettUnk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa