7x64 cartridge/rifle clue me up

A 7x64 is a good choice:
With a 175gr Woodleigh RN SP it is an outstanding bushveld calibre.
With a 139 -154gr premium bullet its an outstanding kalahari/longer distance calibre.
Maybe load a 160gr SBC at a moderate speed say 2650-2700fps and have a fantastic alrounder.
lovely problem to have!
You make it sound like it should be my rifle and not hers.
You make it sound like I need to go back to Africa with a classic cartridge.
One problem I can see straight up is the lack in availability of Woodleigh projectiles. I have some 140gn Woodleigh PPSP but I keep them in a locked cupboard.

Excellent, I will see how I go.
She has fired a .308 ok but ideally I just want to be sure that she is completely comfortable with it and handles it well.
If it’s going to be her rifle I just want to be sure it’s just right. I want her to feel comfortable to squeeze the trigger when a shot presents. We will get range time but I want her to feel confident each time.
Not sure about adding Mercury atm.
It kinda started out that I have a pink B&C full aluminium bedded fibreglass stock that is new in box. My 7mm-08 is the medium barrel CTR or I might have fitted that.
As for weight, then it won’t hurt if the scope is marginally heavier like a Meopta or the like. I can easily find some scopes at 4-5oz heavier than a Leupold .

on reading @rookhawk last post then I will go back to load data. I think AR2206H is often using a lighter charge weight. This may be because of grain size but also using less grains is less cost and it seems to be the most versatile. That said it’s not always the fastest but then that’s back to it being closer to 7-08 performance then working up if required.
I will read up on the ADI load data to see which is the most efficient in the .280 as it’s the only available data and seems to be under the max allowable for 7x64 even at max load.

It will be interesting to get it set up and weigh a few Tikkas to see what difference there is among those I have and to see where this weighs in at.

One problem I can see straight up is the lack in availability of Woodleigh projectiles. I have some 140gn Woodleigh PPSP but I keep them in a locked cupboard.
Haha yes there are bigger issues to solve. Truly between x57, x64 and -08 not a lot to choose from if you want moderate loads. All will be perfect, though the x64 has "more legs" if you want to borrow her rifle one day!!

Norma also produce the 156gr and 170gr Oryx which I've found very effective and is very similar to the Woodleigh.

We were shooting Barnes factory loaded 140gr TTSX bullets over here. If memory serves, they were pretty zippy (but no recoil) at around 2900fps. The problem we had with them here, but not in Africa is that they zipped through deer without making a very big hole. Not enough hydrostatic shock to cause an instant bolt of lightening death, nor was the barnes able to open fast enough to create the big wound channel. One perfectly lung shot pass-through doe whitetail ran 200 yards into a hayfield before expiring. In Africa, I've written a few times on the eland my son shot that was a perfect heart shot (but bullet did not pass through) that created a hard recovery even though the animal went only 200 yards or so. (zero blood trail) My son took an Oryx in New Mexico with it as well, the oryx dropped quickly, but it took three shots to put it down

So what would I do different/better with a 7x64? For Africa, I think a 150gr TSX (not tipped) would be a tougher bullet, as would a 156gr Norma Oryx. For America and elsewhere with deer species, a 140-160gr partition would not be too tough either. And if someone just wanted a brush gun, the may be old-fashioned, but a remington CoreLokt is a flimsy bullet that mushrooms easily and would be a great choice for deer/bear species.

TLDR; Barnes bullets are finicky about the velocity at which they work best and rely upon the resistance of flesh to encourage copper expansion. Maybe not the very best choice for a 7x64 if you're killing a variety of different sized animals at a variety of distances.

She’s also happy with the .243
@CBH Australia
Once she uses that lovely 7mm she will wonder why she ever had the 243. The 7x64 is far better and more effective and versatile than that other horrible little cartridge.
Bob

We were shooting Barnes factory loaded 140gr TTSX bullets over here. If memory serves, they were pretty zippy (but no recoil) at around 2900fps. The problem we had with them here, but not in Africa is that they zipped through deer without making a very big hole. Not enough hydrostatic shock to cause an instant bolt of lightening death, nor was the barnes able to open fast enough to create the big wound channel. One perfectly lung shot pass-through doe whitetail ran 200 yards into a hayfield before expiring. In Africa, I've written a few times on the eland my son shot that was a perfect heart shot (but bullet did not pass through) that created a hard recovery even though the animal went only 200 yards or so. (zero blood trail) My son took an Oryx in New Mexico with it as well, the oryx dropped quickly, but it took three shots to put it down

So what would I do different/better with a 7x64? For Africa, I think a 150gr TSX (not tipped) would be a tougher bullet, as would a 156gr Norma Oryx. For America and elsewhere with deer species, a 140-160gr partition would not be too tough either. And if someone just wanted a brush gun, the may be old-fashioned, but a remington CoreLokt is a flimsy bullet that mushrooms easily and would be a great choice for deer/bear species.

TLDR; Barnes bullets are finicky about the velocity at which they work best and rely upon the resistance of flesh to encourage copper expansion. Maybe not the very best choice for a 7x64 if you're killing a variety of different sized animals at a variety of distances.
@rookhawk
My choice of bullet for Australian game and a lot of north America game would be the good old Hornady SST in either 139 or 154 gn. Expansion is great and in my experience holds together well. For bigger stuff the 160gn accubond or Woodleighs would be fine and dandy.
Taking to Geoff at Woodleigh the other day ( in person) they are now making 338 projectiles then 30 cal then 7mm followed by 6.5s. They are still catching up on back orders but hope to be in full production soon. I managed to get hold of 200 225 gn rnsp for my Whelen when I was out there.
Bob

@rookhawk
My choice of bullet for Australian game and a lot of north America game would be the good old Hornady SST in either 139 or 154 gn. Expansion is great and in my experience holds together well. For bigger stuff the 160gn accubond or Woodleighs would be fine and dandy.
Taking to Geoff at Woodleigh the other day ( in person) they are now making 338 projectiles then 30 cal then 7mm followed by 6.5s. They are still catching up on back orders but hope to be in full production soon. I managed to get hold of 200 225 gn rnsp for my Whelen when I was out there.
Bob
I would like to run Woodleigh’s.
I won’t dismiss the 150ish ELD-X that came with it.
7mm are the only ones that matter.
Did you call in to the factory?

I would like to run Woodleigh’s.
I won’t dismiss the 150ish ELD-X that came with it.
7mm are the only ones that matter.
Did you call in to the factory?
@CBH Australia
Yes Chris called into the factory and spoke to Geoff and Shirley personally. Great down to earth folk. If you saw the factory you would be amazed at how they do it all in a tin shed on the farm
Wonderful people.
Should be doing 7mm projectiles in a couple of months.
Give him a call mate
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AddieWhitt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa