7x64 cartridge/rifle clue me up

A 7x64 is a good choice:
With a 175gr Woodleigh RN SP it is an outstanding bushveld calibre.
With a 139 -154gr premium bullet its an outstanding kalahari/longer distance calibre.
Maybe load a 160gr SBC at a moderate speed say 2650-2700fps and have a fantastic alrounder.
lovely problem to have!

A 7x64 is a good choice:
With a 175gr Woodleigh RN SP it is an outstanding bushveld calibre.
With a 139 -154gr premium bullet its an outstanding kalahari/longer distance calibre.
Maybe load a 160gr SBC at a moderate speed say 2650-2700fps and have a fantastic alrounder.
lovely problem to have!
You make it sound like it should be my rifle and not hers.
You make it sound like I need to go back to Africa with a classic cartridge.
One problem I can see straight up is the lack in availability of Woodleigh projectiles. I have some 140gn Woodleigh PPSP but I keep them in a locked cupboard.

Excellent, I will see how I go.
She has fired a .308 ok but ideally I just want to be sure that she is completely comfortable with it and handles it well.
If it’s going to be her rifle I just want to be sure it’s just right. I want her to feel comfortable to squeeze the trigger when a shot presents. We will get range time but I want her to feel confident each time.
Not sure about adding Mercury atm.
It kinda started out that I have a pink B&C full aluminium bedded fibreglass stock that is new in box. My 7mm-08 is the medium barrel CTR or I might have fitted that.
As for weight, then it won’t hurt if the scope is marginally heavier like a Meopta or the like. I can easily find some scopes at 4-5oz heavier than a Leupold .

on reading @rookhawk last post then I will go back to load data. I think AR2206H is often using a lighter charge weight. This may be because of grain size but also using less grains is less cost and it seems to be the most versatile. That said it’s not always the fastest but then that’s back to it being closer to 7-08 performance then working up if required.
I will read up on the ADI load data to see which is the most efficient in the .280 as it’s the only available data and seems to be under the max allowable for 7x64 even at max load.

It will be interesting to get it set up and weigh a few Tikkas to see what difference there is among those I have and to see where this weighs in at.

You make it sound like it should be my rifle and not hers.
You make it sound like I need to go back to Africa with a classic cartridge.
One problem I can see straight up is the lack in availability of Woodleigh projectiles. I have some 140gn Woodleigh PPSP but I keep them in a locked cupboard.
Haha yes there are bigger issues to solve. Truly between x57, x64 and -08 not a lot to choose from if you want moderate loads. All will be perfect, though the x64 has "more legs" if you want to borrow her rifle one day!!

Norma also produce the 156gr and 170gr Oryx which I've found very effective and is very similar to the Woodleigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michaellucas

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with