.460 Weatherby whats your opinion

Recoil is one thing recoil velocity is quite something else....

460 and 378 Weatherby are probably the worst cartridges in that department and I have never been able to figure out the need for either apart from the insistant need for speed by some folks.

Here is a club you can join....

And he downloaded it to 2400fps....
Yes, because it is a versatile cartridge if you work with it. Just as your 500 Jeffery is, load it up or load it down as you need, but you don't need to run it at the max. It can duplicate and exceed the performance of the 450 Rigby and we know you speak highly of that cartridge.

Am I wrong in thinking that doing that sort of defeats the purpose of a Weatherby cartridge?!
Not really. Being able to build a range of projectiles weights and velocities specific to the game and your needs makes it a fairly versatile offering. I only recently got into the 460wby with the thought of rebarreling to a 500 a-square should the 460 prove to be 'difficult'. Ive found mine to not be what so many have claimed as brutish (mine is a 23" 10.5lb Hannibal rifle). Quite a bit less perceived recoil, and factual less recoil, than 500J's Ive shot (lends itself to fit importance). It is still not for everyone, quite frankly not for most, but quite a cartridge nonetheless.

I think too often people infer the Mark V rifles characteristics into the cartridge.

And Pierre has never owned or used a 460 Weatherby neither has he shot DG with one...do not believe all you read...
Why only 2500fps thw wannaby needs in excess of 2600 fps....
Well Squire,
If I didn't own both and shoot both pretty often, not just at paper - aswell as having just rebarreled my .378, I would lean towards offering a few Kilppies on why there is thrill in having the the ability of spectrums; 2400fps to 2600fps with the .460...

I had one for several years, mostly as a range toy. I never hunted with it, but probably put 500 rounds through it. I found it to be very versatile, accurate with everything from light cast bullet loads to full factory equivalent ammunition. The recoil was brisk, but the rifle was heavy and it had a factory muzzle brake that actually seemed to work. I have shot .375's that were more painful.

It's a cool rifle, and every real gun nut should own one during his shooting career, preferably before, not after, getting his shoulder replaced.

As much as I love boomers, this one is far too much for anything realistic. Impact velocity higher than 2600, no matter the bullet, penetration suffers. Anything above 2600 is just a waste, and beating on your for nothing.

Reactions: IvW
Realistic? Loading to anywhere from 2000 fps to 2900 fps, 250 gr to 500+, ballistics to 300+ yards for PG and devastating on DG at closer ranges. Quite the capable cartridge actually.

The 460 is not for everyone, and really just the few whom can tame it. But for those who can, it's an extremely versatile cartridge.

As much as I love boomers, this one is far too much for anything realistic. Impact velocity higher than 2600, no matter the bullet, penetration suffers. Anything above 2600 is just a waste, and beating on your for nothing.
Agree 2200 to 2400 is the sweet spot for DG....and yes after 2400 penetration goes down the tubes.....but what do we know there is always this need for speed....despite the fact that the Weatherby is a real shit platform for a DG African rifle......

Realistic? Loading to anywhere from 2000 fps to 2900 fps, 250 gr to 500+, ballistics to 300+ yards for PG and devastating on DG at closer ranges. Quite the capable cartridge actually.

The 460 is not for everyone, and really just the few whom can tame it. But for those who can, it's an extremely versatile cartridge.
Not a question of the few select who can tame it but rather a question of the terminal performance.
The few countable on one hand ph who have used this all downloaded it....
Add to that the weatherby platform....well a piece of crap as a DG rifle and cartridge for DG in Africa....
If not most PH's would praise and use it.....none I know who have more than 2 peanuts as brain cells use it or recomend it.....

Not a question of the few select who can tame it but rather a question of the terminal performance.
The few countable on one hand ph who have used this all downloaded it....
Add to that the weatherby platform....well a piece of crap as a DG rifle and cartridge for DG in Africa....
If not most PH's would praise and use it.....none I know who have more than 2 peanuts as brain cells use it or recomend it.....
Pretty sure any member here knows your love for Weatherby rifles, certain calibers, and the 458 Win mag... :rolleyes:

Plenty of modern projectiles and powders to allow for this versatile cartridge to have its place for those willing. No changing minds needed.

The late Ron Mostert, Precision Rifles, Who was based in Harare built a .460 Weatherby on a CZ550 for a friend and current hunting buddy. Quite the perfectionist Ron was, and I agree on the versatility as you've mentioned, no muzzle brake, no recoil reducers etc and this same rifle in the owners more than capable hands has taken numerous game across the spectrum. Therein lays the beauty of reloading, not just the .460 but any cartridge.
The heavier 550gr Woodleigh doing ~2300fps from the .460 is more than adequate for any creature on God's green earth.

The late Ron Mostert, Precision Rifles, Who was based in Harare built a .460 Weatherby on a CZ550 for a friend and current hunting buddy. Quite the perfectionist Ron was, and I agree on the versatility as you've mentioned, no muzzle brake, no recoil reducers etc and this same rifle in the owners more than capable hands has taken numerous game across the spectrum. Therein lays the beauty of reloading, not just the .460 but any cartridge.
The heavier 550gr Woodleigh doing ~2300fps from the .460 is more than adequate for any creature on God's green earth.
True but it is not a 460 Weatherby on a Weatherby platform so not exactly a comparison...

Pretty sure any member here knows your love for Weatherby rifles, certain calibers, and the 458 Win mag... :rolleyes:

Plenty of modern projectiles and powders to allow for this versatile cartridge to have its place for those willing. No changing minds needed.
Exactly 460 Weatherby on a weatherby platform with fatory ammo is a piece of crap....so is a 458 WM...
Modern this or that is not availible in most african countries so again many better option than the two 458 extremes 458WM and 458Weatherby.....

Agreed. A well made and well fitting rifle is needed on any big bore, more so on the more powerful. Stock rifles have never fit me well, so most are customized to ensure this.

Coupled with reloading, and being able to duplicate or exceed where you need with lower pressures? I've enjoyed mine.

I use a 500 Jeff for the work I do have shot a 460 Weatherby with factiry ammo on more than one 1 occasion and I can honestly say I cannot handle the recoil...
My standard load for my Jeff is a 570gr bullet at 2300fps....
How many times have you used your 460 Weatherby on DG in Africa?

Exactly 460 Weatherby on a weatherby platform with fatory ammo is a piece of crap....so is a 458 WM...
Modern this or that is not availible in most african countries so again many better option than the two 458 extremes 458WM
Yes, we've heard this from you time and again. Thankfully the members posting their experiences with modern load development are here with actual data.

I use a 500 Jeff for the work I do have shot a 460 Weatherby with factiry ammo on more than one 1 occasion and I can honestly say I cannot handle the recoil...
My standard load for my Jeff is a 570gr bullet at 2300fps....
How many times have you used your 460 Weatherby on DG in Africa?
That's funny, my 460 Wby kicks a heck lot less than the 500 Jeffery I've fired. It's almost like stock fit means something? Let alone actual recoil energy and velocity. Crazy...

To answer your question. None, as I just purchased my Hannibal in 460 this spring but will be taking it next spring for Buffalo.

Have you shot a well fit 460 wby outside of a Mqrk V action and developed loads for one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudolfKirk

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]