458 Lott instead of 416 Rigby?

They dress in silly robes and dance around campfires chanting, "404!! Wonder bore!! 423!! Best for me!!" Then they sacrifice a few virgins and howl at the moon.
They do all this to bring offerings to reloading gods in hopes they can find quality .423 bullets and 404J headstamped brass. :ROFLMAO:

As good as the 404 is and then it’s long history, I’ll stick with the 450-400. Even more history.

MPI Stocks finally shipped my A-Square Hannibal stock clone. It has two mercury recoil reducers in it...one 16oz and one 11oz in the butt. Action for my .458 Lott is a Winchester made Model 1917 Enfield that's been worked over. Barrel is a 26" McGowen. This will be my second A-Square clone. My first is a .375 Weatherby that I chrono'd a 300g at 2889 ft/s, or over 5500 ft-lbs. More power than a .458 Win Mag. But that stock, as ugly as it is, really mitigates recoil. So, I am hopeful that the Lott will be manageable. Not sure if I'll put a scope on it. I got the nice 4 leaf express sight from New England Custom Guns. Just have a single leaf on the .375 as I run a scope on it and the open sights are just for backup. The Lott will probably weigh about 12 pounds loaded. From what I've seen with the Coil-Check stocks, it probably won't be too bad. Let you guys know when I get it done.

@Axle2010, I don't have anything 458, but I do have a 416 Rem Mag you could shoot if you would like. I'm just a bit north from you in Middle GA.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy it, and see how I like it. If I didn't like, I would put up for sale here. I'm sure it won't last long for that price. My 2 cents. (y)

@Axle2010, I don't have anything 458, but I do have a 416 Rem Mag you could shoot if you would like. I'm just a bit north from you in Middle GA.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy it, and see how I like it. If I didn't like, I would put up for sale here. I'm sure it won't last long for that price. My 2 cents. (y)
The price is creeping up if it stays under 15 I'll bring it home.

Which one will best meet your needs also depends on what you think you need. If you want to be ready to stop a charge at close quarters then the Lott is the better choice. No question. A 416 is more versatile, so if that’s what you need, then a 416 is the way to go. I own both and have taken Buffalo with both. The Lott is simply a hammer. In my limited experience it flattens Buffalo. But, outside of the most extreme situations I don’t think that level of power is really needed.

Jim that sounds like a danged fine piece you're putting together
Thank you, Axle. Here is my first A-Square clone. I think it actually turned out nicer than the ones they made. The 'smith I work with really did a fantastic job on it. I machined what I could, but then handed it off to a pro. This current one I bought from Russ at Whitworth arms I believe it is. He already did most of the machine work on the action (you have to do a lot to an old Enfield to make a sporter out of one) and he already had the barrel. The new one will look just about like this but with a shorter barrel and probably no scope.

I'd really have liked to have gotten a nice walnut stock, but nobody seems to make them in this shape nowadays. Oh well, I've got some really pretty ones in smaller calibers. The boomers will just have to have ugly composite stocks :)

In the A-Square loading manual, they talk about developing the Coil-Check stock. They have a picture of a guy shooting a .505 Gibbs off a bench with a scope on it and the scope never gets close to him. So "maybe" I'll try it. We'll go ahead and machine it and get bases and all set up for if I want to. On the .375, I've shot videos of me shooting it and the eye to scope distance never changes. They really have a good design with this stock...it shoves your entire body and not just your shoulder. And, you can paddle a boat with it :)

375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 458 win in a zastava, and a rigby and lott in the cz. They are beauties. The Lott I have to run 3 rings on the scope , wrecked the Warne qd with a 1-6 razor, 3 of them no worries. I have a little 3-9 Zeiss conquest on the 416 and it has been fine.

Love the 416 and 458, I think for big stuff I would pick the 458 every time. Took the 416 for deer this year.

I have 4 375 H&H. As well, they are pussycats compared to the 416 and 458

Wwll thank you gentlemen for once again sharing knowledge experience and advice yall make this a great forum rife with information but the Lott has exceeded my price point here a week before Christmas. For any of you that want one more than I do it's just in Gunbroker and it's a very nice looking rifle, if it were a Rigby or a Model 70 either one I'd stick it out but for now not for me. Thanks again though I think yall have inserted the Lott into my "need it" list lol.

This one is almost perfect condition and less than 1k. If it stays close to that I might bring it home
I think anything less than $1700 is a pretty good deal at this time for that gun, if it's near perfect like you say. I wouldn't pass on that price, even if you only purchased to resell it. You could list it on the classifieds here and make a few bucks for sure. And it wouldn't take long.

I wouldn't stress the recoil and let that hold you back if you were looking at a 416 already. There are things you can do to minimize that. For starters, you can shoot 458 win out of it if you want. You could halndload it down too. Not a big fan of muzzle brakes myself, but I've bought guns that had them already. That would help recoil, but they're loud. Recoil reducer is an option as well. Plenty of options if Recoil is your only hesitation.

Just don't shoot it from a bench. That will beat your ass. But from sticks, your body will roll with the recoil. And that's how you'd shoot it in the bush anyway.

It still has 20 hrs left. I am sure it will go much higher. May go upwards of 2800.View attachment 575007
I didn't know they went for that much. Everything I hear is that the big bore don't rely sell anymore that's why they cut production so far in them so it's almost impossible to find a good new one anymore unless you're willing to pay British prices.

I have a 375 Ruger and a 458 Lot, also have a 416 Ruger on its way to me. Comparatively, the 375 is a pussycat compared to the Lott in the recoil department. I’ve actually got my Lott up for sale on here, it’s just been a while. I also have a lot of brass, bullets and dies if you’re interested in a package deal. BTW my Lott is a Winchester 70.

I didn't know they went for that much. Everything I hear is that the big bore don't rely sell anymore that's why they cut production so far in them so it's almost impossible to find a good new one anymore unless you're willing to pay British prices.

All of the “quality” wood stocked hunting rifles sell well…

Oddly enough, I think both of the previous comments are true. McDonald’s sells a lot more burgers than a Michelin 3 star restaurant, but you won’t find many empty sittings there either.

As it turns out, I’m think of selling some composites/MSR’s to get a nice 375 or bigger.

Oddly enough, I think both of the previous comments are true. McDonald’s sells a lot more burgers than a Michelin 3 star restaurant, but you won’t find many empty sittings there either.

As it turns out, I’m think of selling some composites/MSR’s to get a nice 375 or bigger.
I love my M70 375! I'd shoot that thing til I went broke if I had the time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurus4d

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg