450/400 3" double as a stopping rifle?

For almost four decades Selby used only a 416 Rigby as his dangerous game stopping rifle. And Wally Johnson had a long career killing elephants with just a 375 Model 70. Both men clearly had the means to outfit themselves with bazookas. Guess they felt it wasn't necessary?

matt85, So you think that a 300 grain 375 bullet at 2,500 fps mv would be better than a 300 grain 458 bullet at the same speed?
Absolutely......

For almost four decades Selby used only a 416 Rigby as his dangerous game stopping rifle. And Wally Johnson had a long career killing elephants with just a 375 Model 70. Both men clearly had the means to outfit themselves with bazookas. Guess they felt it wasn't necessary?
Wake up.....

BeeMaa,

Your response is revealing. Please give me some time to process it. Thanks,

Brian
BeeMaa, I never stated that I had any intensions of using a 45-70 for cape buffalo.
I did state, however that I use a 500 and a 577. for cape buffalo and usually get one shot DRT kills.

( Actually, I do have a 45-70 barrel for my single shot rifles and I state now that I would be very confident in killing cape buffalo with them using Peregrine bullets, Cutting edge bullets or NorthFork bullets. )

There are many cape buffalo hunters who hunt cape buffalo with proper bullets for one shot kills. In addition you can easily extend/ream the throat of a 45-70 out a bit a get 45-90 power with moderate pressures. That little modification takes you right into the low side of 458 WM ! Does that blow your hair back ?

Also, when was the last time that you talked to a PH that knew much about the modern specialty bullets like the Peregrine BushMaster, NorthFork CPS and SS, Cutting Edge Bullets?

PH's are known to be excellent hunters but most of them are far too busy making a living to spent time researching new esoteric bullets when the bullets that the are currently using "work OK". ( And some Ph's just use left over ammo, what ever it is, from their clients.) Just read some of the posts placed here on AH by some of the "expert" PH's.

The quotes that you posted are not very relevant. Your first quote is from Michael M. who is the designer/developer of the #13 CEB solid and the CEB Safari Raptor and he praises the CEB bullets in 458 cal at 2,500 fps over the 375 cal 300 grain bullet at the same muzzle velocity. ( You should write Michael M. and ask him if he likes the 375 for cape buffalo.) I must say that your other two quotes are pointless.

Also, BeeMaa, my old friend, when the 450WM first came out it was praised to high heaven, but the factories soon had to reduce the powder charge due to the limitations in powder choices at the time for tropical countries and the relative short case size of the 458WM. The factories had to produce 458 WM ammo it at reduced, near 45-70 velocities, for a few years in secrecy. Few people know this, at the time and the "famous" 458 WM continued to receive rave reviews as a cape buffalo and elephant killer even though at the time it functioned about like a hot loaded 45-70 from a 26 inch barrel. Go figure ! ( Later, when better powders were developed the factories got the velocities of the 458WM up to the advertised numbers and the 458 WM became the awesome cartridge it was advertised to be. This bit of history is still denied today by some big bore aficionados.)

A lot of well meaning contributors on these hunting/shooting forums post old, outdated theories concepts that they picked have picked up along the way from other well meaning experts, not to mention any names, chuckle, and no offence intended to anyone.

Bullet technology has advanced significantly in the last decade. Do you research.

Cheers,
Brian

Yes. Because you will lose sectional density, meaning the ability of a bullet to drive in a straight line through tissue and bone.
Sorry but SD is another outdated myth in regards to temninal ballistic.
1- The SD of a bullet is irrelevant, other that a good solid, because the shape and size of the bullet changes as soon as it gets into the animal.
2. Research in the last decade has proven that straight line penetration is a function of bullet nose profile not SD, re CEB #13 and NorthFork CPS Solid with 67% of diameter calibre flat meplat versus traditional round nose solid. Research, Pard, research. Brian

Absolutely......
Absolutely......
IvW. You are so wrong. ( "absolutely" my arse! chuckle.)
If all the factors, like velocity, bullet placement and bullet quality are similar, bullet diameter is the single significant killing factor in hunting cape buffalo.

Remember, back a few years ago when you, knowing nothing about my situation or age, dumped on me for shooting cape buffalo from a blind, but, you never mentioned anything about me knocking down cape buffalo, DRT, with a 577, 700 grain bullet at a very slow 1,770 fps mv, or dropping those two buffalo with a 50-110, 410 grain bullet at a measly 1,920 fps, mv.

I think that I even showed a video of it, if I remember correctly.

Well that was perfectly definitive and conclusive example of what we are talking about here, bullet diameter trumping velocity, other factors being similar.

So IvW, my good friend, that was when I first realized that you are probably a very decent fellow, if not a bit judgemental at times and maybe ill informed to boot.

Cheers,

Brian

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Norbow

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.