.450/400 3" and 3 1/4" versus .375H&H for buffalo..?

Pondoro

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
What do you think..those of you who have used both for buffalo..?

Good day,

I have rifles in both cals, a 375 in a zkk 602, and a 450/400 in a ruger no.1 (the 3" version, I have no experience with the 3.25")

My personal opinion is this:
- If the rifle is just for buffalo, then the 450/400 is the way to go. The 400gr bullet moving around 2150 ish is a proven recipe for buff. It is basically the original 404 Jeffery, in fact it is often called the 400 Jeffery. Nobody doubts that the original loading of the 404 Jeffery again a 400gr bullet at 2150 is ideal for buff. So the 450/400 with a quality projectile is an ideal balance of killing power and ease of recoil.

- BUT A 375 h&h is more versatile. While the 450/400 was the original "do all rifle" of Africa, the 375 h&h is a better "do it all" rifle. So if you want to one gun, or a gun that can fill more roles on different hunts, the 375 is the way to go.

I am also of the sound opinion that the best choice is option C.... Buy both.

Edit: What rifles are you considering in these cals?

Well actually I have both...a ZKK 602 in .375 and a Joseph Lang double rifle in .450/400 3 1/4NE.

I have not hunted the Lang yet but I will try it on buffalo in the future..I also have the impression that a 450/400 is an ideal calibre for buffalo.

I have taken several buffalo with .450-.4001/4.& .375 H&H. If I was hunting for my own or professionally. I would grab the dbl. every time. Both calibers will kill, but I feel more comfortable with double.

Lon

Lon..what ammo did you use in the .450/400..?

Both are wonderful for buff. The absolute most important thing is making the first shot count. Therefore, go with whatever you shoot the best.

.375 is a touch more versatile for an all around rifle.

Does anyone else other than Hornady make .450/.400 ammo? They seem to be the company that has invested the most in producing ammo for our very limited market.

Rifle selection is probably more important than caliber selection. Doubles are lots of fun, but significantly harder to shoot. A double limits your shot opportunities. Unless you are looking for a handicap/challenge a scoped bolt is the way to go.

The only ammo I have seen/found is hornady, or unloaded hornady brass. That being said, the brass seems to hold up quite well, and there are a goodly amount of different bullet options. I reload all of mine, and use hornady pills for practice, and northfork for animals.

I owned and shot a Ruger No1 in 375 H&H and shot a buffalo, zebra and a lot of smaller game. The same rifle has since shot two more buff and a huge zebra.
I now own a 450/400 double, which has yet to take a buff. Everything tells me that they are much the same capability, the 450/400 a bit more fun.

I’ve killed only two Cape buffalo so far.

The first one was shot with my Merkel .450-400 3” and Hornady DGX bonded ammo, followed up immediately with a NF cup point solid that was not necessary. Both bullets performed exactly as expected.

The other one was with a Win m70 .375 H&H and Swift Aframe. Followed up immediately with a Trophy bonded flat point solid that was not necessary. Both bullets performed exactly as expected.

Both the .450-400 and .375 killed quickly, satisfied expectations, and left nothing to be desired.

In two weeks I’m leaving for Mozambique to hunt buffalo. I’m bringing the Merkel .450-400 3”. Not because it’s so much better, but it’s what I want to hunt with. It will be loaded with a Swift Aframe in the right barrel and a NF cup point solid in the left.

@Longwalker You know I think you probably made the best point in this thread, when you said:
"Not because it is so much better, but it's what I want to hunt with"

The mental management of shooting and the pressure of taking shots at animals, is often something that is not talk about as much as it should be in hunting circles. It's a lack of mental management that causes a ton of pulled shots, or failing to follow through, or run away buck fever, when trying to tag a nice animal.
One of the best cures for these problems which can plague us all is confidence in, and I would even hazard love, for your rifle. Sometimes its the way it feels in your hands, sometimes it's the way it looks, maybe it is an interesting grain pattern in the wood.

Whatever it is, I know this: "If both rifles can take the animal you want cleanly, choosing the one you like the looks of the best, or the one you just seem to have more of a draw to, is probably a better metric than arguing caliber"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMAValenti

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.