.425 Express?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 53080
  • Start date Start date
Well, I never asked the gunsmith do me a job with the thought in mind, what is the reselling price of what I order? I normally do the thinking first and after that, I order, pay the price and keep it for lifetime.

You have mentioned all the arguments I had evenso when comming up with this .425 project.
While planing, the 416 Taylor was an option too, but .416 bullets weren't available in RSA, never mind any other classic brass or bullets. RSA was strictly sanctioned because of apartheid and You had to use what the gods offered You!
I had to deal with components, which were around, like 300 Win brass, .423 Bullets, K98 actions and a barrel in 0.423.
So .425 Express wasn't love on first sight and in the end a more logical thing, but we grew together, became best friends. I will keep this gun until my last shot has faded away!
The "last shot" for me is not that far down the road. At some point I will need to liquidate excess baggage so my daughters aren't saddled with the heartache of having to do it. This build would not be anything with significant family attachment. Not like the Springfield 03A3 Dad built for me or the 760 Rem 30-06 Mom's father gave them when I was born. So it would be built with selling in mind. But primary purpose would simply be the challenge and something to do.

Gunsmith would not be building this rifle. No fun in that. I will do it.

The brass issue would not be a significant obstacle except for resale. But I guess having two guns that shoot the same big bullet doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Already dealing with that. :D Mom's 760 hasn't been out of the safe in years. 333 Jeffery is starting to grow on me.

I am considering building a 425 Express so thought I might revive this thread. As most of you know, I already successfully built a 404 Jeffery on 98 Mauser.

First, I think @Rosch has exaggerated the damage needed to convert a standard 98 Mauser into 404. Perhaps he is confusing with 375 and 416? I did not change the locking ring on my action, only the feeding ramp and rails. Also a small amount of metal removed from inside the rear ring so cartridges can clear for ejection (not too much or extractor will lose contact with track). None of that will compromise the strength of the receiver. Building 416R and 375 H&H does require trimming back some of the locking ring to expand the ejection port.

For me the attractions of 425 Express are manifold. The cases are belted with shoulder vs 404 beltless with almost no defined shoulder. Cases for the 404 must be very precisely sized or the cartridges will not snap over when dropped in the action. They will push ahead instead and get stuck in the chamber. Ask me how I know! This is never an issue with belted cartridges. And for any DGR snap over is essential, in my book anyway.

425 Express utilizes 404J bullets and 300 Win brass. Bullets are not terribly hard to find and brass is downright abundant.

425 Express can be gassed up to 416 Rigby plateau if desirable. I understand recoil is manageable if loads are not super fast and the gun has some weight. No real difference from 404 in that regard.

The chief downside of course is brass with the proper headstamp. It's out there but hard to find and expensive. How important is it? I've been to Africa four times and no one has yet looked at my ammo either going or returning. "Yep, there's two boxes in there. Sign on the dotted line. See ya." I suppose the worse that could happen is the ammo could get confiscated and I'd have to rent a rifle at the lodge. Actually, I think I'd just load up a dummy round or two to demonstrate that they fit the rifle if someone decides to get picky. Might be enough to convince them. Or just order a box of custom brass for Africa and use 300 Win cases at the range. A minor inconvenience.

I'm not sure what's involved in making belted brass feed properly from 98 Mauser magazine. Can't be too serious considering the popularity of 300WM in similar design CRF rifles (i.e. Model 70). However, I know I DO NOT want to tackle the feeding issues for rebated rim. That's why 425 Westley Richards is off the table.

And lastly, resale value would be a big question mark. I can liquidate my 404 fairly readily but moving a 425 Express would likely not be easy. I think it's a great cartridge with a lot of potential, but it is unknown. And it's not a "classic" British cartridge, having only been developed by a couple of American guys in the 1980s. And we all know how important it is for African hunters to be outfitted with classic British thumper guns (even if topped with an electronic scope :D ).
@Ontario Hunter
The 425 Express that @Badboymelvin owns is a really pussy cat with full power loads. He is the man to ask about the 425
Bob

As others have mentioned, l have a 425 Express that was built by Farmboy at NT Firearms Gove.

It is built on a Zastava action and as one would expect from a custom rifle, it feeds, cycles, ejects and performs flawlessly.

I currently use 2 loads in my 425 Express, the 400gn Hornady DGX at a leisurely 2300fps and the 360gn copper Atomic29 HP at just under 2500fps.
Recoil is stout - especially off the bench.

With my rifle l also ordered 100 pieces of brass, 50 that l'm using and 50 unused.
My brass has the correct headstamp.

I've owned a few big cartridges now and l think the 425 Express could possibly be my favourite.
It hits hard, shoots pretty flat and can be made to fit a variety of rifles.

I absolutely love my rifle and the 425 Express cartridge.

Russ

4yZDlUp.jpg

My custom 425 Express

ijSmk5k.jpg

Here is the whole family, .338WM - 425 Express - .458WM - .300WM

kB46Pz0.jpg

Correct Headstamp is always a bonus

zgnzxaw.jpg

It looks all business when loaded with the Atomic 29 hollowpoint projectile

Recoil is stout - especially off the bench.

4yZDlUp.jpg

My custom 425 Express
Thats no surprise! First your gunstock is too slim, You could fix that by filling some silicon mixed with birdshot into the hollow at the end of the stock . If possible also in the front under the barrel. Brings some weight to the stock. Second, You should have choosen a much thicker barrel. Rugers Alascan shows, how a barrel can be short and heavy. No open sights? What if the gun falls and the scope says goodbye?
rugerm77.jpg

Thats no surprise! First your gunstock is too slim, You could fix that by filling some silicon mixed with birdshot into the hollow at the end of the stock . If possible also in the front under the barrel. Brings some weight to the stock. Second, You should have choosen a much thicker barrel. Rugers Alascan shows, how a barrel can be short and heavy. No open sights? What if the gun falls and the scope says goodbye?
View attachment 626141

Hey,
You can build your rifle however you want - and l will do the same.
If you want short thick barrels, go right ahead... l did not.
l DID NOT choose the wrong stock or barrel for MY rifle.
In my eyes, my rifle is perfect for the hunting l do and the conditions l hunt in - and l certainly will not be adding birdshot or new barrels.
In over 30 years of hunting l have never had a Leupold scope fail me in the field and I've never dropped a rifle and taken a scope out of commission, so I've never had to rely on open sights while out hunting - YMMV.
I built this rifle for me. If it's not to someone else's taste that's really not my concern...

Russ

Hey,
In my eyes, my rifle is perfect for the hunting l do and the conditions l hunt in - and l certainly will not be adding birdshot or new barrels.
In over 30 years of hunting l have never had a Leupold scope fail me in the field and I've never dropped a rifle and taken a scope out of commission, so I've never had to rely on open sights while out hunting - YMMV.
I built this rifle for me. If it's not to someone else's taste that's really not my concern...

Russ
Holy polly .... Sorry for being forward!
You wrote Yourself, the recoil ist stout?
Allready in school, physics wasn't everyones.
Please, create Your dream gun with 30 years experience, choose Your parts as You wish or just spare them out and .... take the punch! ;)

Hey,

Russ

Short thick barrels look clubby anyways. Length looks good and is practical for other reasons (modest velocity gains, and if you have open sights the longer sighting radius is better)
Hey,

Russ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristiHyd

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe