404 Jeffery Hodgdon H 4350 loads feedback?

Ontario, recoil never is a factor to me at all. especially when shooting the 404 Jeffery..I would be able to shoot the 400 gn bullets at 2300f/s without experiencing felt recoil as considering it at all..my Westley Richards 404 Jeffery is a well build rifle from 1930 era is a pleasure to shoot for sure, as I mentioned, no pressure in the chamber at all..so recoil really is not an issue for me...My recoil platform is at an .458 Win Mag 530gn bullet at 2300 f/s ..
When building the .500 Jeffery I will see what my recoil platform will be..
The grouping I shot this morning , with open sights , V-Express on my 404 Jeffery indicates that recoil did not have any effect today with the H4350, 84gn , 400gn BARNES X bullets , 89.5 OAL at the 2227f/s ...3f/t more will not amount to an increase in felt recoil at all..all comes down to rifle stock design..

my Westley Richards 404 Jeffery has the best rifle stock design you can possibly hope for, I build the same rifle stock design for my .375 H&H Magnum rifle ..I will duplicate this rifle stock design as well when building my .500 Jeffery rifle .
Interesting. Not sure how my stock design compares to yours but I suspect yours has typical European straight comb and low profile. Mine has Monte Carlo but fairly low profile.
20240420_112851.jpg

I can acquire 1-4x scope instantly on mounting the rifle (but bolt handle to scope clearance is approx thickness of cigarette paper!). Iron sights also acquire instantly when gun is mounted sans the scope. I have nothing but a similarly designed 30-06 stock for comparison but my 404 from the bench with 80 gr Acc 4350 and 400 gr Barnes X seems fairly stout for recoil. I do set up on the bench as high as possible. I will see if one of the guys from the club can meet me at the range with a chrono. Comparison to your numbers would be interesting. I know the two types of 4350 do have different burn rates but I didn't think it was terribly significant. I was guessing 80 gr was giving me around 2200 fps but maybe not if H4350 at 84 gr is doing that for you. It appears we are both getting about the same accuracy. I'm putting bullets on top of each other at 50 yards.

I am not recoil sensitive ... but my retinas are.

The Swift manual doesn't list H4350 for the 404J.

The Hornady 10th Ed manual lists 78.9 gr max load for the 404J for DGX and DGS bullets (400 gr).
Jip, even the South African propellant S365 list 76gn as MAX... but...we who shoot a 404 Jeffery does things always on a larger scale..we go "Over and Beyond" the normal...84gn of H4350 seems much in line with what can be handle in a 404 Jeffery rifle ... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The Swift manual doesn't list H4350 for the 404J.

The Hornady 10th Ed manual lists 78.9 gr max load for the 404J for DGX and DGS bullets (400 gr).
Interesting. Maximum @ 78.9 gr? I started at 77 gr for Accurate 4350 and that was not enough as primers were jumping up in pocket. I know, that sounds like a symptom of too much pressure, but actually an indication of powder charge below minimum. Recoil was quite manageable. The very limited load data I could find for Accurate 4350 and 404J was for Barnes TSX 400 gr. It said to start at 77 gr but obviously too conservative. I have almost burned up my Accurate 4350. Now that other powder is more available, I should probably switch to Hodgon or IMR. Easier to find load data for those powders.

Interesting. Not sure how my stock design compares to yours but I suspect yours has typical European straight comb and low profile. Mine has Monte Carlo but fairly low profile.
View attachment 628514
I can acquire 1-4x scope instantly on mounting the rifle (but bolt handle to scope clearance is approx thickness of cigarette paper!). Iron sights also acquire instantly when gun is mounted sans the scope. I have nothing but a similarly designed 30-06 stock for comparison but my 404 from the bench with 80 gr Acc 4350 and 400 gr Barnes X seems fairly stout for recoil. I do set up on the bench as high as possible. I will see if one of the guys from the club can meet me at the range with a chrono. Comparison to your numbers would be interesting. I know the two types of 4350 do have different burn rates but I didn't think it was terribly significant. I was guessing 80 gr was giving me around 2200 fps but maybe not if H4350 at 84 gr is doing that for you. It appears we are both getting about the same accuracy. I'm putting bullets on top of each other at 50 yards.

This H4350 load is written in Pierre van der Walt, author of African Dangerous Game Cartridges page 284 , I did collaborate with Pierre van der Walt here in South Africa when I commenced the loads for the 404 Jeffery..
Pierre indicated that the S365 propellant was not a suitable propellant for the 404 Jeffery at all...not if you need to get muzzle velocities in the region of 2300f/s ....
I did send the results to Pierre today, he likes the results...

Members on the forum did mention the 84gn of H4350 as well, but with the Rhino 400gn bullet...

Interesting. Maximum @ 78.9 gr? I started at 77 gr for Accurate 4350 and that was not enough as primers were jumping up in pocket. I know, that sounds like a symptom of too much pressure, but actually an indication of powder charge below minimum. Recoil was quite manageable. The very limited load data I could find for Accurate 4350 and 404J was for Barnes TSX 400 gr. It said to start at 77 gr but obviously too conservative. I have almost burned up my Accurate 4350. Now that other powder is more available, I should probably switch to Hodgon or IMR. Easier to find load data for those powders.
You only need ONE load , the H4350, 84gn with a 400gn bullet with a OAL 89.5mm

View attachment 628514

ZEXnkW6.jpg

The 404 Jeffery Wesley Richards design rifle stock of my rifle

GJSdwxS.jpg

Here is the Leopold 1.5-5x20rifle scope....to me it really is not a great scope at all..when hunting in real thick bush/tree canopy veld ..I really was struggling to see a spot on an impala to shoot at since this scope does not handle such conditions at all..I now has a vintage Smidt & Bender 4x36 rifle scope I want to fit, the diameter of this rifle scope is 26mm , so I had to order 26 mm diameter scope rings ..
974F643A-BC1F-485D-9CA6-18BEA337FDC9.jpeg

View attachment 628517
Here is the Leopold 1.5-5x20rifle scope....to me it really is not a great scope at all..when hunting in real thick bush/tree canopy veld ..I really was struggling to see a spot on an impala to shoot at since this scope does not handle such conditions at all..I now has a vintage Smidt & Bender 4x36 rifle scope I want to fit, the diameter of this rifle scope is 26mm , so I had to order 26 mm diameter scope rings ..View attachment 628518
Acquisition will likely be slower with the thicker 1" S&B scope. I suspect your 3/4" Leopold was to accommodate clearance needed for safety? It is relatively rare to find 3/4" scopes over here. You likely will need higher rings for clearance.

I mounted a 30mm scope on my Mauser with Warne low QD rings and an exceptionally low Weaver one-piece base. But I had to remove just a bit from bolt handle for scope clearance. I have 3-position side safety so no issues with it clearing the scope. $200 in the white (I could bring one over for you?)

Try Federal 215 primers......
The 9 1/2 Remington primers was not the problem, the chronograph battery was the problem,,,,new battery and everything work again...was able to chronograph these velocities of the small group at 70 meters...

Profile appears to be as I suspected. Typical classic European. Fine for open sights but finding field of view for scopes can be a problem sometimes. Is that a flag safety?
Yes a flag safety, it does not bother me at all...the scope I had on the 404 , the Leopold was working fine, finding a target fast was not a problem at all..the only problem was hunting with it in thick bush/tree canopy areas ...it struggles to give a clear view at the target animal.
I will come back to you on the 3xposition safety for sure...

Acquisition will likely be slower with the thicker 1" S&B scope. I suspect your 3/4" Leopold was to accommodate clearance needed for safety? It is relatively rare to find 3/4" scopes over here. You likely will need higher rings for clearance.

I mounted a 30mm scope on my Mauser with Warne low QD rings and an exceptionally low Weaver one-piece base. But I had to remove just a bit from bolt handle for scope clearance. I have 3-position side safety so no issues with it clearing the scope. $200 in the white (I could bring one over for you?)
No I have medium high Thor stud rings ...it works quite well...we have the standard 25mm, scarce 26mm, 30mm and 34mm diameter scope rings here in South Africa

Yes a flag safety, it does not bother me at all...the scope I had on the 404 , the Leopold was working fine, finding a target fast was not a problem at all..the only problem was hunting with it in thick bush/tree canopy areas ...it struggles to give a clear view at the target animal.
I will come back to you on the 3xposition safety for sure...
Yes, the 3/4" scope would acquire okay because it is low enough (but I suspect you're still off the gun slightly to find field of view). But as you noted the field of view for 3/4" scope is very compressed and they don't let in much light. The thicker 1" scope may need to be raised for clearance for safety and/or bolt handle. Even if it clears them both, the center of field of view will still be raised = bringing your cheek even further off the comb. Is your "flag safety" a classic 3-position 98 Mauser style or 2-position scope relief wing safety on left side? If you have the classic Mauser style 3-position safety that must be flipped over from left to right side, you will almost certainly have clearance issues with that new scope. 2-position operational on left side only would probably less problematic. The drawback to the 2-position wing safety is the lever is exposed and vulnerable to being accidentally disengaged when scope is removed for iron sights.

I have Parkwest 3-position side safety on my 404. It's okay but some quality control issues that I had to resolve. I heard Wisner had one of his up for bid on ebay recently and it didn't go for minimum bid of $195. Someone on the forum said Myers has dropped his price to $200. If true, that would be my choice. Those are very good quality.

Yes, the 3/4" scope would acquire okay because it is low enough (but I suspect you're still off the gun slightly to find field of view). But as you noted the field of view for 3/4" scope is very compressed and they don't let in much light. The thicker 1" scope may need to be raised for clearance for safety and/or bolt handle. Even if it clears them both, the center of field of view will still be raised = bringing your cheek even further off the comb. Is your "flag safety" a classic 3-position 98 Mauser style or 2-position scope relief wing safety on left side? If you have the classic Mauser style 3-position safety that must be flipped over from left to right side, you will almost certainly have clearance issues with that new scope. 2-position operational on left side only would probably less problematic. The drawback to the 2-position wing safety is the lever is exposed and vulnerable to being accidentally disengaged when scope is removed for iron sights.

I have Parkwest 3-position side safety on my 404. It's okay but some quality control issues that I had to resolve. I heard Wisner had one of his up for bid on ebay recently and it didn't go for minimum bid of $195. Someone on the forum said Myers has dropped his price to $200. If true, that would be my choice. Those are very good quality.
At this stage I want to shoot the 404 Jeffery with open sights out to 100 meters. I know where the 404 Jeffery print the impact shots. In the near future I will be working on loads using AXE bullets manufactured here in South Africa. I want to get the open sights to print in the center of the 100 meters target.
I still can manage seeing quite well out to 100 meters at a 100mm target and will be able to hit is every time like I hit the 50mm target at 70 meters..this rifle is made to walk and stalk when hunting. I have the .375 H&H Magnum with a Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x44 mm that is more tan enough to shoot out to 200 meters, as well as the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser that has a Weaver Grand Slam scope 4-20x50mm that will reach out to 300 meters ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WildaDambr

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!