404 Jeffery Hodgdon H 4350 loads feedback?

I am seating Barnes X 400 gr to OAL 3.53" or 89.75mm.
View attachment 627151
They cycle in my 98 Mauser and group well at 50 yards. Taking my time working up to 100 yards. I'm only good for half a dozen rounds per range trip. I killed my first buffalo at 110 yards but that is outer limits in my opinion, especially for 404. That 400 gr bullet won't have enough gas at 150+ yards.
North Fork makes a 430 grain soft nose that I like a lot (muzzle velocity from my 24” barrel is 2320 FPS)

H4350, 83gn, BARNES X 400gn bullet at 56meters /183.727ft (v-express sight ) open sight no pressures , bolt opens smooth ..
1) 2204 f/s
2) 2193f/s
3) 2163f/s
H4350, 83gn , 400gn BARNES bullets2318afc1-5500-4e67-8840-502eb00a69ea.jpeg

S365, 76gn(max) BARNES 400gn bullets 60 meters/196.85ft (v-express sights ) open sights no pressure, bolt opens smoothly..

I will be reloading the following:
H4350, 84gn, BARNES X 400 bullets , OAL 89.5

Thank you kindly for the members who participated in this thread, it is as always much, much appreciated

Today:
S365 , 76gn ( maximum load SONCHEM) BARNES X 400gn , OAL 89.5mm
1) 2128 f/s
2) 1581f/s
3) 1610 f/s
I suspect the primers was not able to ignite this much propellant, I would like to hear your opinions.. 60m/196.85ft

S365 , 76gn 60 METER 4a0cec5d-59ea-4bd9-9cc5-a53161565cdf.jpeg

Last edited:
Today:
S365 , 76gn ( maximum load SONCHEM) BARNES X 400gn , OAL 89.5mm
1) 2128 f/s
2) 1581f/s
3) 1610 f/s
I suspect the primers was not able to ignite this much propellant, I would like to hear your opinions.. 60m/196.85ft
I have friends that avoid Somchem if possible because of inconsistency issues but that velocity spread is extreme! If my chrono spit out those numbers I would triple check my charge weights.

I agree. The Sonchem loads are obviously not working. How much room in the case? I'm also a bit surprised at low velocity of 83 gr H4350. I am shooting 80 gr Accurate 4350 same Barnes X bullet and they seem to have plenty of gas. No chrono but my teeth bang together pretty hard with recoil. :D I started at minimum 77 gr. Recoil was much gentler but primers were pushing out = not enough gas. With 2x scope the 80 gr loads were putting holes on top of each other at 50 meters.

I have friends that avoid Somchem if possible because of inconsistency issues but that velocity spread is extreme! If my chrono spit out those numbers I would triple check my charge weights.
Dirtdart , I am using the RCBS Chargemaster Supreme, I am sure it is quit accurate and consistent. The RCBS Chargemaster has a LEARNING function to assess the type of propellant every time you want to re-load ...It can either be the Remington primers that did not ensure a complete ignition, or the chrony did not registered correctly..I am changing to CCI Large Rifle primers for the next reloads, or the S365 not working optimally..

Last edited:
I agree. The Sonchem loads are obviously not working. How much room in the case? I'm also a bit surprised at low velocity of 83 gr H4350. I am shooting 80 gr Accurate 4350 same Barnes X bullet and they seem to have plenty of gas. No chrono but my teeth bang together pretty hard with recoil. :D I started at minimum 77 gr. Recoil was much gentler but primers were pushing out = not enough gas. With 2x scope the 80 gr loads were putting holes on top of each other at 50 meters.
The volume of the S365 propellant is about the same level in the case as the H4350 propellant...I decided on the H4350, 84gn , BARNES X 400gn bullet, OAL 89.5
If I was a better shot it would be possible to get smaller groups with the v-express sights..at 60 meters a hunter is suppose to get a good shot placement on a buffalo cow..it depends how good your PH is to get you as near as possible to the buffalo...
Even at 100 meters you are suppose to be able to get a good shot placement on a large body game animal like a buffalo cow for sure

I am contemplating building a ghost ring to fit on the 404 Jeffery or a red dot sight..

Last edited:
The volume of the S365 propellant is about the same level in the case as the H4350 propellant...I decided on the H4350, 84gn , BARNES X 400gn bullet, OAL 89.5
If I was a better shot it would be possible to get smaller groups with the v-express sights..at 60 meters a hunter is suppose to get a good shot placement on a buffalo cow..it depends how good your PH is to get you as near as possible to the buffalo...
Even at 100 meters you are suppose to be able to get a good shot placement on a large body game animal like a buffalo cow for sure

I am contemplating building a ghost ring to fit on the 404 Jeffery or a red dot sight..
I'm thinking 84 gr must be close to maximum for H4350?

I'm thinking 84 gr must be close to maximum for H4350?
According to members who re-load for the 404 Jeffery , they only use H4350, 84gn, with Rhino 400 gn bullets , North Fork 400gn and other bullet types in the 400gn range...I am using the suggested load as pointed out to me on the forum..
H4350 , 83gn did not show any pressures , the bolt opened smoothly, the case extracted well....The hunt will take place in Thabazimbi area..it is hot during the days ..I am not sure of the heat will have an impact on the H4350 propellant, it will be a first for me to use it for hunting. The bullets used in this loads will be BARNES X 400gn..

According to members who re-load for the 404 Jeffery , they only use H4350, 84gn, with Rhino 400 gn bullets , North Fork 400gn and other bullet types in the 400gn range...I am using the suggested load as pointed out to me on the forum..
H4350 , 83gn did not show any pressures , the bolt opened smoothly, the case extracted well....The hunt will take place in Thabazimbi area..it is hot during the days ..I am not sure of the heat will have an impact on the H4350 propellant, it will be a first for me to use it for hunting. The bullets used in this loads will be BARNES X 400gn..
I've been told (on this forum) our old Barnes X bullets are notorious for copper fouling. How are you finding them?

I've been told (on this forum) our old Barnes X bullets are notorious for copper fouling. How are you finding them?
Nothing so far...I always cleans the 404 Jeffery `s barrel after using it..the barrel /rifling is clean, no residue or fouling ....I think the low muzzle velocity of these heavy bullets is not causing fouling..maybe the small caliber high velocities /shooting many shots in a short time is likely to cause fouling...

Nothing so far...I always cleans the 404 Jeffery `s barrel after using it..the barrel /rifling is clean, no residue or fouling ....I think the low muzzle velocity of these heavy bullets is not causing fouling..maybe the small caliber high velocities /shooting many shots in a short time is likely to cause fouling...
Yes, I've been scrubbing my barrel after each range trip with ammonia based cleaner and not seeing a lot of stuff on the rags. Nothing unusual. Bore looks fairly clean to me but I don't have a fancy bore scope.

Dirtdart , I am using the RCBS Chargemaster Supreme, I am sure it is quit accurate and consistent. The RCBS Chargemaster has a LEARNING function to assess the type of propellant every time you want to re-load ...It can either be the Remington primers that did not ensure a complete ignition, or the chrony did not registered correctly..I am changing to CCI Large Rifle primers for the next reloads, or the S365 not working optimally..
If you are confident in your charge weights then look elsewhere.

In the past my chrono would be suspect but, not the Garmin model I am currently using.

The primer is the easiest variable to change. I use a Federal 215 with a 76 grain charge of a different powder under a 400 grain bullet in my 404. If a standard large rifle primer is of good quality and condition I believe it would light the charge you are using with much less velocity spread. I will be watching to see what the culprit is. Good luck!

If you are confident in your charge weights then look elsewhere.

In the past my chrono would be suspect but, not the Garmin model I am currently using.

The primer is the easiest variable to change. I use a Federal 215 with a 76 grain charge of a different powder under a 400 grain bullet in my 404. If a standard large rifle primer is of good quality and condition I believe it would light the charge you are using with much less velocity spread. I will be watching to see what the culprit is. Good luck!
I suspect the 91/2 Remington Magnum Rifle primers, I convert to the CCI 250 Large Rifle primers .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FCHZimbabwe

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!