.375 or .416 for Cape buffalo?

Yea they are weird. Broke his spine 2x and put 2 in his heart/lungs standing next to him. Didn't make any real difference. His vitals were wrecked and his spine was gravel but he was still lethal for quite awhile. Mainly I just stood there and threw rocks at the other crocs trying to get him. I do recommend the spine shot so you don't blow up your trophy skull.
Unless told otherwise by my ph I plan on taking a neck shot, or waiting for a neck shot.

Right on...it's a bigger target also.

Recoil is always an interesting subject. We all feel it differently but proper gun fit AND proper gun weight for caliber is important. By the numbers, a 10 pound 375 with factory 300 grain loads has 35 ft lbs of recoil energy. A 10 lb 416 Rigby with factory 400 grain loads has 63 ft lbs of recoil energy...close to double the recoil energy. Numerous factors can lessen the gap but it's there.
Maybe the 450/400 is a better recoil friendly choice?....can't recall the ft lbs offhand, but seems like it was closer to the 375 than 63 ft lbs.

Recoil on the 450/400 weighing 11 lbs is 34-44 ft lbs depending on velocity. So it's a lot like the 375 H&H.

I can't tell the difference between the recoil of my Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H and my CZ 550 in .416 Rigby.

If you want a dedicated buffalo rifle, I would opt for a .416. (I do)

If you want a more "well-rounded" cartridge for cats and plains game, then the .375 H&H fills the bill.

I say shoot both before you decide! I may be crazy but I actually prefer The recoil ofthe 416 Remington mag over the 375, to me the 375 feels like a sharper faster recoil whereas the 416 Remington is more of a hard push. Everyone perceives recoil differently so shoot both and figure out which one you like!

I own and shoot on a regular basis both in various chamberings and actions. They include six 375's four in 375 H&H, one 375 Ruger, and one 375/338. I also have six 416's, four 416 Rem Mag, one 416 Ruger and one 416 Taylor.

I built them all myself and feel comfortable with all, and wouldn't trade or sell any of them, although I will soon start to pass some to Sons, grandsons, and granddaughters.

I started building them in the '80's and already gave a favorite 375 H&H ( a seventh 375) to one of my sons who took a Moose with it.

Three of my 375's and two of the 416's have all been to Africa and taken game from Buffalo, to Leopard and many plains game. They all also get a workout on everything here in Colorado and Wyo. from Antelope to elk........still trying to draw the Moose Lisc.

I have tried and used many various bullets and powders in my loads, but have settled on the Barnes, TSX as my hands down favorite. I still use both Noslers Part. and Nosler solids, Swift A Frames, Hornady's, softs and solids ( really FMJ), and even some Fusions bought a few years ago from "pull downs".

But when the money is on the table it is the TSX, and Barnes Banded Solids period.

Powders include, W760, 4350 AA2700, H380, and RE15 Varget, and AA2520 in the 416 Taylor, as having giving good results. W760 is hands down the best for the 375 H&H. And AA2700 and H380 in the 416 Rem.

The 416 does give you that power edge. However when I really want power I reach for the 458 Win Mag and 458 Lott.

I have just finished a 500 Jeffery that I hope to use on Elephant next year. One of the 416's or one of the 458's will go along as the overlap and "light" rifle.

I have found that in both the 375's and the 416's regardless of the chamber configuration it is the load and bullet choice that really makes for the successful hunt.

In the end I suppose there is a reason the 375 H&H has been around since 1912.........It just works great all the time if there is proper bullet placement. If you want true versatility you can't go wrong with the 375 H&H.

A 375 H&H is like a good well trained Lab, it just wants to please you and it won't let you down.

If it is going to be just one rifle you won't be disappointed with a good 24" barreled 375 H&H.

Get a scoped .375 if you don’t have one. They are pleasant to shoot and plenty enough gun for anything.

If you want to add a .416 later, then by all means. The .375 is more versatile.

Here’s a good resource. Recoil table. Couple mention here that 416 doesn’t have felt recoil considerably more than 375. The table shows 56% higher recoil and slightly faster recoil velocity 300 gr 375 H&H vs 400 gr 416 Rigby. I sold my Sako 416 Rigby partly because it was so unpleasant for me to shoot but I can shoot my CZ 450 Rigby without hurting my shoulder. Stock design is a big factor above 375 for me. Most anyone can shoot any rifle up to 375.

Perhaps this comment would best be on a more specific rifle thread, but I saw an earlier mention of the Blaser. I'm considering downsizing my rifle collection, and going with a Blaser with a couple barrels. I plan to hunt Cape Buffalo perhaps in '25, after my '22 trophies are all back and hung. Blaser offers the .375 H&H, and a "triple two" (seems to be a common caliber in southern Africa) barrel in their Luxus model. To get the .416, in Safari model, you can't get a much smaller caliber to go with it. I want a duiker and a steenbok to go with my Damara Dik-dik. So you guys have convinced me on the .375 H&H! Thanks, Mike Wachtel

Perhaps this comment would best be on a more specific rifle thread, but I saw an earlier mention of the Blaser. I'm considering downsizing my rifle collection, and going with a Blaser with a couple barrels. I plan to hunt Cape Buffalo perhaps in '25, after my '22 trophies are all back and hung. Blaser offers the .375 H&H, and a "triple two" (seems to be a common caliber in southern Africa) barrel in their Luxus model. To get the .416, in Safari model, you can't get a much smaller caliber to go with it. I want a duiker and a steenbok to go with my Damara Dik-dik. So you guys have convinced me on the .375 H&H! Thanks, Mike Wachtel

Mmm why not? You can put a 22lr on that Blaser if you wish. The barrel channel might be bigger than some like, it will still fit any barrel Blaser makes. You will need to change the bolt head to match the size of the round desired, along with the mag insert.

A 375 H&H is like a good well trained Lab, it just wants to please you and it won't let you down.
@gibbs30c That is a great line!!! If you thought it up, you should trademark it!

I have shot a .375 before and didn’t think it was too bad. The only reason that I am considering a .416 is just to have a little bit more power If i made a subpar shot.
Good thinking! There is nothing like crushing a buffalo with a big caliber. Especially a double.

I own and shoot on a regular basis both in various chamberings and actions. They include six 375's four in 375 H&H, one 375 Ruger, and one 375/338. I also have six 416's, four 416 Rem Mag, one 416 Ruger and one 416 Taylor.

I built them all myself and feel comfortable with all, and wouldn't trade or sell any of them, although I will soon start to pass some to Sons, grandsons, and granddaughters.

I started building them in the '80's and already gave a favorite 375 H&H ( a seventh 375) to one of my sons who took a Moose with it.

Three of my 375's and two of the 416's have all been to Africa and taken game from Buffalo, to Leopard and many plains game. They all also get a workout on everything here in Colorado and Wyo. from Antelope to elk........still trying to draw the Moose Lisc.

I have tried and used many various bullets and powders in my loads, but have settled on the Barnes, TSX as my hands down favorite. I still use both Noslers Part. and Nosler solids, Swift A Frames, Hornady's, softs and solids ( really FMJ), and even some Fusions bought a few years ago from "pull downs".

But when the money is on the table it is the TSX, and Barnes Banded Solids period.

Powders include, W760, 4350 AA2700, H380, and RE15 Varget, and AA2520 in the 416 Taylor, as having giving good results. W760 is hands down the best for the 375 H&H. And AA2700 and H380 in the 416 Rem.

The 416 does give you that power edge. However when I really want power I reach for the 458 Win Mag and 458 Lott.

I have just finished a 500 Jeffery that I hope to use on Elephant next year. One of the 416's or one of the 458's will go along as the overlap and "light" rifle.

I have found that in both the 375's and the 416's regardless of the chamber configuration it is the load and bullet choice that really makes for the successful hunt.

In the end I suppose there is a reason the 375 H&H has been around since 1912.........It just works great all the time if there is proper bullet placement. If you want true versatility you can't go wrong with the 375 H&H.

If it is going to be just one rifle you won't be disappointed with a good 24" barreled 375 H&H.
What part of CO are you in? I’m in Castle Rock.

Here’s a good resource. Recoil table. Couple mention here that 416 doesn’t have felt recoil considerably more than 375. The table shows 56% higher recoil and slightly faster recoil velocity 300 gr 375 H&H vs 400 gr 416 Rigby. I sold my Sako 416 Rigby partly because it was so unpleasant for me to shoot but I can shoot my CZ 450 Rigby without hurting my shoulder. Stock design is a big factor above 375 for me. Most anyone can shoot any rifle up to 375.
Thanks for attaching the “recoil tables”, have read them before and always a helpful reminder whenever I’m considering getting a Big Gun. My .470 NE takes me “for a ride” and practice sessions need to be very infrequent and very few rounds - otherwise I actually begin to shoot worse. The mercury recoil suppressor helps and wish I had that installed for my first Safari - guessing it takes away 20% of felt recoil.
Looking at the tables for the .600 NE i’m Impressed anyone can shoot that caliber well - and some certainly do....many videos of buffalo & hippo charges be “Stopped” on-the-run by a .600NE and I must give credit —- I don’t think I could do that. The .460 Weatherby also looks to have Nuclear Power.

Looking at the tables for the .600 NE i’m Impressed anyone can shoot that caliber well - and some certainly do....many videos of buffalo & hippo charges be “Stopped” on-the-run by a .600NE and I must give credit —- I don’t think I could do that. The .460 Weatherby also looks to have Nuclear Power.

I don't think any .600 I have seen is only 12 pounds either which is what is stated on that table.

If there is a 12# .600 nitro, it would be dangerous. I haven't seen one below 14 and that's too light!

Reactions: WAB
That's a great point on shooting positions. I do most of my practice from the sticks. Get away from that bench after sighting in or checking zero. I also shoot a little box of 50 rimfire from a sporting rifle rimfire setup every session. I start and end with the rimfire to check on my form and make sure I'm not building bad habits. I see a lot of nice rifles on this forum and sometimes wonder if there is a nice rimfire training rifle to go along with it. I highly recommend that as well as dry fire with snap caps. That's what will make you good with the big bores.
I picked this up a few months back more as a want because of how nice it was, but it somewhat mimics my 375 set up as far as feel. Obviously weight and size are different but it’s not far off.
IMG_4450.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23bf2dd024

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.