.375 or .416 for Cape buffalo?

I have yet to hear an account of needing to take the scope off. I lost confidence in my QD mounts after them getting off on several trips. I think they are over rated and over thought. (Blaser is a totally different story and they work well.)
Believe me I was there at one time!
Further to Philip's comment I would copy/paste a paragraph from Dr. Kevin Robertson "Africa's Most Dangerous" regarding scope mounts:

"Some Q/D mounts are OK; others are not. If the scope is a low-power variable, I do not believe Q/D mounts are necessary. Instead, have the scope permanently mounted and the rifle stocked accordingly."

There are lot's of good scopes with a power range of 1-6 or 1.5-8. At this level of magnification one can shoot with both eyes open on the lowest setting.

Last edited:
Great comments about optics. I have a Swaro Z8i 1-8x on my 375...and a Swaro Z6i 1-6x on my 458 Lott...and a Swaro Z6i 1.7-10x on my 416 Rigby. I could swap the 375 and 416 scopes...or not. That's been a good setup for me with no regrets.

.375 Holland & Holland Magnum is what I use.
IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg

Perfectly adequate, excellent penetration, very tolerable recoil (esp. for a client hunter), flatter trajectory out to greater distances and damned accurate.

These stories of Buffalo running a long way scare me. Let’s face it, I could easily take a Buffalo with my 300wsm at 100 yards broadside, but that’s not always the shot you get, especially with the 2nd shot. I’ve been part of two buff hunts, and am very familiar with a third. All were shot with a .416 Rigby and none of the buff went more than 30 yards. BUT, neither myself or my father in law are recoil sensitive, and all three Buffalo were shot at least twice just for good measure, even though one shot was enough. With that said, if I were buying a gun for Africa for the typical PG and buff hunt, I’d have a hard time not picking a 375. Our PH’s in Zambia absolutely loved the .375, and it’s a much better choice if you plan on hunting some PG with it, plus there’s much less recoil. BUT, it won’t hit as hard as a .416, and if you need that stopping power, the .416 will be better. It won’t make up for bad shot placement though. You have to appreciate a cartridge that can do this however. This was the 2nd shot on my buff after it fell quartering away. I shot way back on the stomach trying to drive the bullet all the way to the lungs. The bullet made it.

IMG_3408.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's something implied in the original question of 375 vs 416...are you looking for the ideal shot placement with the low possibility of PH follow-up...or are you hoping for the best but planning for something less than that? I love the 375 and it's my fav Africa cartridge and it will kill any buff on the planet with a good shot. One shot and this dagga boy was down in 20-30 yards in last light as he was going back into heavy cover. I was also just a few steps from this bull in really dense thorns numerous times. My next buff will be with 416 or larger. Of course the PH is there for contingencies but I like to finish what I started.

me and buff.jpeg

Boils down to knowing yourself and your capability. Sounds like like you're not really a big bore shooter, the 375 will likely be a more natural transition, and capable for sure if you can do your part. It takes a bit more determination with a lot of practice to really learn to shoot and be proficient as soon as you reach the various 416 recoil level, and then again even more when you go toward 458 and 500's.

I will add to my last post that I already have numerous big bores and don't really need an excuse to use them...but there is also some logic behind me using them. I will eventually end up with some DG experience from 375 and up and I do have some experience on both ends of the spectrum. Right now, I'm making plans to fill in some middle gaps in my experience by using 416 Rigby on a few DG hunts.

Last edited:
I have a .375H&H, a beautiful rifle that I have never fired. Why, you ask? I felt that it was neither fowl nor fish. A bit much and lacking range for PG, and not "enough gun" for DG. Heck, I even sold my .416 opting to go bigger for elephants and buffalo.

Yes, when one goes bigger one will get more recoil. However, with proper technique and gun fitting the recoil becomes a non-issue if one practices.

You will not get a wound channel like those below with a .375.

full

full

1691338314555.jpeg

400 calibers are THE buffalo caliber having said that 375 H&H kills more every year....
For what you describe I would get a 375 H&H with premium bullets and you are set for anything....no need for another rifle......

Go with the 375. It is very easy to learn to shoot well. It took me a few range sessions to figure out the best form possible for prone and off the bench for load development. I can shoot 20-30 rounds now if I want to , but as some have suggested, I take fewer shots with more range sessions. I’ve been traveling every week for over a month now so I take a quick ride to the range and shoot 2 shots prone, then 5-8 more off sticks. I then shoot 30is rounds from my .22 off sticks and back home I go.

Once zeroed, get off the bench and spend the majority of your time off sticks unless you plan on hunting croc, which will require better than 1moa accuracy.

That's a great point on shooting positions. I do most of my practice from the sticks. Get away from that bench after sighting in or checking zero. I also shoot a little box of 50 rimfire from a sporting rifle rimfire setup every session. I start and end with the rimfire to check on my form and make sure I'm not building bad habits. I see a lot of nice rifles on this forum and sometimes wonder if there is a nice rimfire training rifle to go along with it. I highly recommend that as well as dry fire with snap caps. That's what will make you good with the big bores.

Further to Philip's comment I would copy/paste a paragraph from Dr. Kevin Robertson "Africa's Most Dangerous" regarding scope mounts:

"Some Q/D mounts are OK; others are not. If the scope is a low-power variable, I do not believe Q/D mounts are necessary. Instead, have the scope permanently mounted and the rifle stocked accordingly."

There are lot's of good scopes with a power range of 1-6 or 1.5-8. At this level of magnification one can shoot with both eyes open on the lowest setting.
Never had any issues on my 2x 375 H&H rifles with Warne qd mounts on Brno ZKK602 actions....fit them back to the front of the reses in the action no problems ever getting back to poi ....maybe issues on fancy rifles that dont have the reses but no problems on ZKK....

I had Blaser barrels in .404 Jeffery and .375 H&H which I shot quite a bit in the prep for my first buffalo hunt. I was equally accurate on the first shot, but quicker and more accurate on the second shot with the .375. Conversation with Kevin Robertson convinced me to go with the .375 and the 350 grain Woodleigh Weldcore HD at 2300 fps. The sectional density of that bullet beats the SD of the .416 400 grain bullets. You have to move up to 450 grains to beat the SD of the .375 350 bullet and the .375 is much easier to shoot. Did the trick on both my buffalo.

I had Blaser barrels in .404 Jeffery and .375 H&H which I shot quite a bit in the prep for my first buffalo hunt. I was equally accurate on the first shot, but quicker and more accurate on the second shot with the .375. Conversation with Kevin Robertson convinced me to go with the .375 and the 350 grain Woodleigh Weldcore HD at 2300 fps. The sectional density of that bullet beats the SD of the .416 400 grain bullets. You have to move up to 450 grains to beat the SD of the .375 350 bullet and the .375 is much easier to shoot. Did the trick on both my buffalo.

That 350 gr Weldcore is the most accurate bullet in my .375.

The 375 H&H and 416 Rigby are both excellent for buffalo. They do require a magnum size action because of cartridge size. The 375 Ruger fits a standard size action. This gives you a shorter stroke when loading up the next round compared to the magnum actions and might also suit your recoil wishes.

That 350 gr Weldcore is the most accurate bullet in my .375.
Seriously? Now that messes with my head and I was ignoring Kevin Robertson's writings on the heavier bullets in favor of the 300's. I had it all worked out...hah. Now you're saying I have more to look at. Any more details on the load? I thought the 350 was discontinued. I know you can get the 350 TSX. Did you try it?

Seriously? Now that messes with my head and I was ignoring Kevin Robertson's writings on the heavier bullets in favor of the 300's. I had it all worked out...hah. Now you're saying I have more to look at. Any more details on the load?

Image1691344043.424289.jpg

Here’s an old target shot years ago. The recipe is on the target. As always, start low and work up. The 350 gr conventional solids shoot to the exact same POI in my rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23bf2dd024

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.