.375 H&H

I bought a Winchester 1895 carbine a while back and said Japan.
I did see a few on gunbroker. Im not ready to buy one at the moment, im still in the research but when I do it will definitely be A Winchester. Still the only brand I really have faith in. I bought the Ruger as a knock around gun for when I hunt Alaska and down here in Florida its pretty humid. I usually wax my blued guns to prevent rust.

I bought a Winchester 1895 carbine a while back and said Japan.
I did see a few on gunbroker. Im not ready to buy one at the moment, im still in the research but when I do it will definitely be A Winchester. Still the only brand I really have faith in. I bought the Ruger as a knock around gun for when I hunt Alaska and down here in Florida its pretty humid. I usually wax my blued guns to prevent rust.
All the Winchester lever guns are made in Japan. They are of the highest quality and imo are better than the previous 30 years production. Fit and finish.

Model 70s are now Portugal and I don’t see many complaints. They shoot too.

But the previous New heaven made model 70s are damn fine as well. Hard to go wrong

I don’t know anyone who owns one, but I have heard the recoil is about the same as a 12gauge with 3” shells.
I would be looking for a Winchester or something with a wood stock.
Is stock cracking an issue with these?
I’ve owned a Winchester M70 in 375 H&H for over20 years. Three safaris and hundreds of practice rounds. Not a crack to be found. Also never heard of a stock crack that wasn’t caused by driving over the gun with a Landcruiser! Not saying it has never happened but not anywhere near being a common occurrence.

It's not so bad with a properly fitting rifle. Add an India rubber or Limb Saver recoil pad for added comfort.
Very much this.

I'm very tall, very lanky. My 404J came with the OEM stock at 13.5" LOP (I lengthened it to 14.75") and a (for me) very low riser. The first few times I shot it after I got it, the recoil was quite unpleasant, even shooting off sticks.

I won't say it's a kitten now, but I find it only marginally more insulting than my 45-70.

Do you handload? If so, then you are in the catbird seat. You can download them at least 150 fps using proper powder selection and load up cost-effective rounds using relatively inexpensive SP bullets.

Take it to the range and learn how to shoot a .375-anything from a bench without eating the recoil.
Then get you and the rifle squared away. After that get away from the bench and keep shooting from sticks and off-hand until you become comfortable at the starting MV you've chosen.

Once that MV becomes your new normal, then up the MV by 50 fps and start the cycle over again. Rinse and repeat.

You'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that a .375 H&H/Ruger/Whatever is no big deal. Just take it in steps.

If you want a nice 375, Gordy & Sons in Houston has a nice Purdey double they're trying to sell

1721958054313.png

I just got through with my Safari with my .375 Ruger. Zero issues and all my plains game dropped or ran less than 50 yards. The PH was impressed with it and said it would be no problem for a buff. My next trip will be that.
Which make/ model 375 Ruger did you buy? I'm considering one with a light budget. Thanks.

If you want a nice 375, Gordy & Sons in Houston has a nice Purdey double they're trying to sell

View attachment 621807

When you have to wear white gloves to enter the gun room, I’ll pass. Although I do wear gloves when handling my Parker Bros shotgun, so I am not completely adverse.

My experience was different than most of the other people that have posted in this thread.

The first 4-5 outing with my 375H&H gave me headaches. It was more recoil than I was accustomed to. Not crazy bad, you know when it went off. After I had a couple hundred rounds down range. It was easy enough for me to shoot that I stepped up to a 416REM. No headache when I shot it. Had built a tolerance up at that point from shooting the 375H&H. After a couple hundred rounds of 416REM. I stepped up to a 458Lott. Again no headache, the Lott does get your attention.

What I have personally found with bigger bore rifles. Shoot them often, doesn't need to be a lot. A couple rounds a month. Just something that allows you to feel and be in turn with the recoil management aspect of shoot med to large bore rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Estelle38R

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt