.375 H&H

I bought a Winchester 1895 carbine a while back and said Japan.
I did see a few on gunbroker. Im not ready to buy one at the moment, im still in the research but when I do it will definitely be A Winchester. Still the only brand I really have faith in. I bought the Ruger as a knock around gun for when I hunt Alaska and down here in Florida its pretty humid. I usually wax my blued guns to prevent rust.

I bought a Winchester 1895 carbine a while back and said Japan.
I did see a few on gunbroker. Im not ready to buy one at the moment, im still in the research but when I do it will definitely be A Winchester. Still the only brand I really have faith in. I bought the Ruger as a knock around gun for when I hunt Alaska and down here in Florida its pretty humid. I usually wax my blued guns to prevent rust.
All the Winchester lever guns are made in Japan. They are of the highest quality and imo are better than the previous 30 years production. Fit and finish.

Model 70s are now Portugal and I don’t see many complaints. They shoot too.

But the previous New heaven made model 70s are damn fine as well. Hard to go wrong

I don’t know anyone who owns one, but I have heard the recoil is about the same as a 12gauge with 3” shells.
I would be looking for a Winchester or something with a wood stock.
Is stock cracking an issue with these?
I’ve owned a Winchester M70 in 375 H&H for over20 years. Three safaris and hundreds of practice rounds. Not a crack to be found. Also never heard of a stock crack that wasn’t caused by driving over the gun with a Landcruiser! Not saying it has never happened but not anywhere near being a common occurrence.

It's not so bad with a properly fitting rifle. Add an India rubber or Limb Saver recoil pad for added comfort.
Very much this.

I'm very tall, very lanky. My 404J came with the OEM stock at 13.5" LOP (I lengthened it to 14.75") and a (for me) very low riser. The first few times I shot it after I got it, the recoil was quite unpleasant, even shooting off sticks.

I won't say it's a kitten now, but I find it only marginally more insulting than my 45-70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franklin92