.375 H&H

Well you're right about that. An inch or two of barrel makes little difference in velocity most of the time but a lot of difference in how it carries. Sounds like you have your answer. Go forth and slay some beasts! Let us know how it turns out.

I don’t know anyone who owns one, but I have heard the recoil is about the same as a 12gauge with 3” shells.
I would be looking for a Winchester or something with a wood stock.
Is stock cracking an issue with these?

What part of the country are you in? There’s a pretty good chance someone on AH lives close and would be willing to let you shoot their 375… if you’re in the DFW area you’re welcome to pull the trigger on my Winchester 70 375 H&H a few times and see what you think…

Iv been hunting with my 30-06 sense I was about 16 years old. Iv found the round perfect for every situation. Iv been thinking of stepping up to a .375 H&H for a while. I have found these rifles to be quite scarce. From the research iv done the recoil doesn’t seem to overwhelming but I also dont want to drop $1800 on something that im going to start flinching. Can anyone tell me first hand how much more recoil it has compared to a 30-06 loaded with 180grs. Im not recoil shy but id like to know what im getting into as I know the case capacity is quite larger.

Check out ChuckHawk.com recoil tables

On the model 70s what barrel lenth do you recommend. The Alaskan has 25”. The Safari has a 24”. I guess one inch wouldn’t make that much of a difference.
The 2 rifles feel totally different in hand. The Safari Express is heavier overall and many find it muzzle heavy in 375 H&H due to the barrel contour, I prefer the bit of extra weight on my front hand. The Alaskan has a thinner forend, lighter contour barrel and feels more like a standard sporter rifle.

So I prefer a heavier rifle my self. But the feel of a standard sporting sounds pretty good, I live in Florida and there is no place I could go to that I would be able to compare the two.
I just need to do more research.

I do see that the Alaskan is 8.8 pounds and the safari is 9 pounds even. Both have a magazine capacity of three. And I do see the difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeresaPeni

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.