.375 H&H

Erik7181

AH member
Reaction score
Iv been hunting with my 30-06 sense I was about 16 years old. Iv found the round perfect for every situation. Iv been thinking of stepping up to a .375 H&H for a while. I have found these rifles to be quite scarce. From the research iv done the recoil doesn’t seem to overwhelming but I also dont want to drop $1800 on something that im going to start flinching. Can anyone tell me first hand how much more recoil it has compared to a 30-06 loaded with 180grs. Im not recoil shy but id like to know what im getting into as I know the case capacity is quite larger.

I'm going to give you my personal opinion. I'm a short individual standing at 5'5", and weight somewhere in the 154 lbs. I've been shooting since I have recollection of my life. I was a bit apprehensive about the 375 H&H, but I stepped in and shot my first 375 H&H, a CZ-550 customized by AHR. The recoil was not what I was expecting, it was stout, but not overwhelming. This was in preparation for a safari in the Eastern Cape. I would shoot, and when my body would say, I've had enough, I would quit and shot my 22 LR. I went from shooting 3-5 in a session, to 10+ on a session. Mind you, I shot 90% from the sticks, and I only shot from the bench to check zero.

If you know someone who may have one, have him/her let you shoot a couple of times. Trust me, once you start shooting the 375 H&H, you will fall in love with the cartridge.

I have a Ruger MK-II with the Paddle stock, and this rifle kicks like an angry mule and worse than the 375 H&H.

I hope this helps.

I was surprised to find that my 7mm mag kicked worse than my .375 HH. I do have a recoil pad on the .375 but all in all, I would compare the kick to a 12 gauge. I don’t think you’ll mind it at all.

A model 70 or similar with walnut stock in 375 is not much more at all if any! Get one!

Just like mentioned above -

I have a light weight ruger #1 in 30/06 and 180grains from the bench is not much fun.

You will be pleasantly surprised with a proper weighted .375

I have had a number of inexperienced people shoot my 375 and all bar one found the recoil tolerable. The one who did not was shooting it from prone which makes the recoil feel worse. I am sure that with practice virtually everyone will be fine with a .375. If you can find one to try first I’m sure you will find it manageable.

I don’t know anyone who owns one, but I have heard the recoil is about the same as a 12gauge with 3” shells.
I would be looking for a Winchester or something with a wood stock.
Is stock cracking an issue with these?

Erik, you will not regret getting one. I hunted with a Win Mod70 30-06 for many years, and then bought myself a Win Mod70 375H&H. This rifle is now my "Go to" rifle.

If you find that the recoil is a bit too much, don't hesitate to put a silencer on it. I have had multiple kids and ladies use my 375H&H, with a silencer, to hunt with, and they all handle the suppressed rifle without any issues.

I have recently aquired an Howa 375 Ruger, also suppressed, and have shot only 20-odd rounds with it. Time will tell which one of the two will reign supreme.

There are a lot of factors at play. Your size, recoil sensitivity, weight of the rifle, load being used.

I find that the recoil of the 375, while stout, is not intolerable. It "feels" much different than the higher velocity mid/large bore rifles like a 7mm/300/etc

Don't own a 375, but I do own a 9.3x62 and a 404 Jeffery.

Neither of those are a lot of fun to shoot off the bench, but off of shooting sticks or free hand, not so bad.

If you're concerned, get one of these to practice with

1721930291678.png

If I'm planning on putting a lot of lead downrange with either of those rifles, I'm wearing mine.

I first shot a friend's rifle about three months ago, I now own two (Whitworth and Ruger RSM). I always heard the recoil described as a "push" not a "punch" and I agree. I am not sure I want to shoot a whole box through it in a session, but very tolerable.

Iv been hunting with my 30-06 sense I was about 16 years old. Iv found the round perfect for every situation. Iv been thinking of stepping up to a .375 H&H for a while. I have found these rifles to be quite scarce. From the research iv done the recoil doesn’t seem to overwhelming but I also dont want to drop $1800 on something that im going to start flinching. Can anyone tell me first hand how much more recoil it has compared to a 30-06 loaded with 180grs. Im not recoil shy but id like to know what im getting into as I know the case capacity is quite larger.

a very good choice indeed. Frankly if you can handle a 12Ga. 3 inch Magnum 1 7/8th ounce load you won't have a problem with the 375 H&H.

I just got through with my Safari with my .375 Ruger. Zero issues and all my plains game dropped or ran less than 50 yards. The PH was impressed with it and said it would be no problem for a buff. My next trip will be that.

Wear a pad during practice.
Tolerable, but not much fun off the bench, shooting off sticks is no problem.

A few ideas:

- Why do you want one? Planning a hunt in the future?
- You can always sell it if you don't like it.
- The recoil isn't all that bad, but make no mistake, you will be able to shoot the .30-06 much longer at the range than you will a .375 H&H.
- It's a wonderful cartridge, but MUCH depends on the rifle, stock design, bullets, load, shooting stance, etc.
- The recoil is different than a 12 ga with goose loads.
- It will be easier for most people to shoot a .30-06 well than a .375 H&H. Not the best to learn on. If you are already recoil sensitive, it might give you some trouble.
- When I start thinking my .300 or .338 kicks to much, I take the .416 Rigby to the range for a day. After that, I'm good again. ;)
- Energy for most .375 loads is in the 4300 ft-lb range. For most .30-06 loads, its in the 2900 ft-lb range..... so 50% more.
- Big rifles are easily managed, and the .375 is on the lighter side of these. Obviously lots of people do it just fine. You need to pay attention to your technique. Get sloppy and it'll bite. Be consistent, and it really isn't that bad at all.

I have had shoulder replacement surgery then 2 additional shoulder surgeries. I own a Kimber Talkeetna, .375H&H, it has a Pachmayr recoil pad. I had 4" of the barrel cut off, then the barrel threaded. When I go to the range, I put on a muzzle brake and sometimes one of those pull on butt stock things, that makes shooting my .375H&H very pleasant. Then when I take the gun afield, I remove the pull on butt stock thing and take off the muzzle brake. This set up has worked wonderfully well for me.

Greetings Erik7181,

Provided both rifles weigh the same, a .375 H&H with 300 grain bullet has about twice the recoil of a .30-06 with 220 gr. bullet.

Personally, I cannot tell much if any difference in recoil between the 180 gr. .30-06 and 220 gr. .30-06 (factory loaded or equivalent hand loads).
No doubt the 220 grainers recoil more than the 180 ones do.
I am simply too dull to notice the difference.

The .375 H&H is my favorite rifle cartridge for hunting hoofed animals.
It is less destructive on meat and skins than super fast cartridges, such as the various .300 Magnums.
Yet, with a sturdy soft nose bullet it will crumple a charging grizzly or with a solid bullet, it will pass through the massive skull of a large elephant.

Admittedly, I would prefer a larger caliber for elephant hunting and it is over-powered for smaller animals like deer and impala.
Nonetheless, if I was stuck with only one rifle to carry while wandering through the bush (name your continent), it would be a sturdy bolt action, caliber .375 H&H, with a 4x scope in low rings and iron sights as well.
Rifles look unfinished if they don’t have iron sights on them, IMO.
But that is for another thread.

Anyway, you are totally on the right path in seeking a .375 H&H for hunting big game.
Best of luck to you.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.

Attachments

• IMG_9681.png
    IMG_9681.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I’ll be Honest, ever sense Winchester moved over seas, Im not seeing the 70s as much as I used to. Maybe a featherweight .243 here or there but in larger calibers no. I bought a Ruger Alaskan guide in 30-06. Seems pretty decent but I have not shot it yet, I have to get my scope mounted as im sure the Irons aren’t the best.

It's not so bad with a properly fitting rifle. Add an India rubber or Limb Saver recoil pad for added comfort.

Winchester 70's are currently manufactured in SC and readily available, just need to look. Winchester 70's are the only bolt guns that I own, by choice, and I've got most calibers in the vault with many duplicates in different configurations. There are several on here for sale, Gunbroker.com has a ton listed also. As far as stepping up to a 375 H&H, they are a magnum action with more steel on both the receiver and the barrel than a 30-06 which is a long action, thus adding weight which helps dampens the recoil. There is an uptick in recoil but not anything severe. My 5'2" 130lb wife shoots mine fine off the sticks and from the bench utilizes a lead sled. I don't think you'd have any problem and would enjoy the added versatility, good luck with finding the right rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franklin92