.223 for Steinbok, Duiker, Klipspringer?

I just bought Tina a NIB Savage Lady Hunter in .223, mostly for practice and local varmints. I started thinking that this might be a good light rifle for Steinbok, Duiker, Klipspringer and other Tiny Ten sized game.

Would the 62 grain Barnes X be a good choice for heart lung shots? I've read some PH's advise a gut shot to anchor the animal, and the use of varmint type bullet in small calibers.

The other route is a larger caliber with solids. She's not recoil shy, but shooting a Ladies rifle in a light caliber would make her a lot happier.

What do you think?
Bullet wont stabilise, barnes you will have to use 50gr.

I am with @ActionBob on this discussion. Lots of folks offering advice with respect to the lethality of a .223 or shot placement who have never seen a member of the tiny ten much less hunted them. The problem is not lethality but the destructive expansion of a light fast moving bullet.

Secondly, as Stuart from @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS notes most of the tiny ten are taken as targets of opportunity while hunting other more traditional plains game. A bullet like an A Frame from a 30-06 will often work so long as the shoulder bone structure isn't hit.
Oh, and I wouldn’t hunt with anyone who would suggest gut shooting an animal. Theyd be going to the dentist if they said something like that to me.
I know you have this all figured out, but a blue duiker or sunni are about the size of a small jackrabbit. Hit him in the shoulder and you will certainly kill him, but you will also ruin him as a mountable trophy. Shooting the animal behind the last rib with a heavy for caliber deep penetrating SP like an A Frame and it will pass through completely and still humanely and quickly kill such a small animal. The hunter also has an animal that can go to the taxidermist as opposed to the gut pile. That strikes me as more ethical course of action.

This is a really large blue duiker taken with @spike.t and @PeteG on Takeri. The rifle is a .275 firing the 170 gr Oryx. Note the bullet placement. No bones were struck, the duiker died in his tracks, and the bullet made a 7mm entry hole and 7.1mm exit hole. Most of the reminder of the tiny ten I have taken with 300 gr solids from a .375. Again never an issue. I did shoot a Steenbock frontally on one of my early hunts with a 250 gr partition from a .338. We did not even try to photograph the ensuing mess.

Blue Duiker Hunt Zambia

Back to the OP's original question. If your wife loves that rifle and has confidence in it, then you might try something like a 64 gr bullet designed for deer. Shot placement will need to be precise. That fast a bullet, even if heavy for caliber, will be very destructive if it hits the shoulder bone. Again at that speed, it could have an explosive effect on the stomach. I did see a civit hit at close range with a 67 gr 5.56 and the results were very destructive. I have not tried a solid from a .223 on any African game.

As others suggest, a great dedicated Tiny Ten choice would be a .22 Hornet.

I am with @ActionBob on this discussion. Lots of folks offering advice with respect to the lethality of a .223 or shot placement who have never seen a member of the tiny ten much less hunted them. The problem is not lethality but the destructive expansion of a light fast moving bullet.

Secondly, as Stuart from @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS notes most of the tiny ten are taken as targets of opportunity while hunting other more traditional plains game. A bullet like an A Frame from a 30-06 will often work so long as the shoulder bone structure isn't hit.

I know you have this all figured out, but a blue duiker or sunni are about the size of a small jackrabbit. Hit him in the shoulder and you will certainly kill him, but you will also ruin him as a mountable trophy. Shooting the animal behind the last rib with a heavy for caliber deep penetrating SP like an A Frame and it will pass through completely and still humanely and quickly kill such a small animal. The hunter also has an animal that can go to the taxidermist as opposed to the gut pile. That strikes me as more ethical course of action.

This is a really large blue duiker taken with @spike.t and @PeteG on Takeri. The rifle is a .275 firing the 170 gr Oryx. Note the bullet placement. No bones were struck, the duiker died in his tracks, and the bullet made a 7mm entry hole and 7.1mm exit hole. Most of the reminder of the tiny ten I have taken with 300 gr solids from a .375. Again never an issue. I did shoot a Steenbock frontally on one of my early hunts with a 250 gr partition from a .338. We did not even try to photograph the ensuing mess.

Blue Duiker Hunt Zambia

Back to the OP's original question. If your wife loves that rifle and has confidence in it, then you might try something like a 64 gr bullet designed for deer. Shot placement will need to be precise. That fast a bullet, even if heavy for caliber, will be very destructive if it hits the shoulder bone. Again at that speed, it could have an explosive effect on the stomach. I did see a civit hit at close range with a 67 gr 5.56 and the results were very destructive. I have not tried a solid from a .223 on any African game.

It is a pretty easy thing to download the .223 to whatever performance level you & the chosen bullet desire... I have some very accurate TB loads that retain MOA accuracy @ 100 yards... coupled with a "firm," non-frangible bullet this could be an excellent solution. I love the Hornet (& K), but got completely out of those PITA paper thin cases, when I experimented with reduced loads in .222 and .223.

If a reloader, for sure. If not, and I am not, the Hornet is an elegant solution.

If a reloader, for sure. If not, and I am not, the Hornet is an elegant solution.
Blaser BD14 22hornet/6.5×57R/20ga would be ideal but alas the price is steep.....

My only experience with a T10 animal was a steinbok. I used a .30/06 with a 180gr Barnes TSX. I hit behind the shoulder but hit the opposite shoulder. My taxidermist had some work to do.
If I get a chance at another T10, I’ll definitely hold further back with whatever rifle I’m carrying.

Ok, I admittedly have zero T10 experience, but I have half a century of experience with centerfire rifles on small game, including jack rabbits, varying hare, raccoons, foxes and assorted others. I carefully tailor my equipment to the target, regarding cartridge, load and bullet, but regardless of the target, I put the bullet through vital tissue... there is no reason not to put the round through the middle ribs... aiming for the last rib only increases the chances of hitting "behind" the last rib... perhaps the impact shock incapacitates the animal (but maybe not), however if the only reason for taking this kind of shot is to save the taxidermist some sewing, I would not pull the trigger. I find myself to be philosophically opposed to this practice... JMO, go ahead and flame away.

Always trust experience. If the ph says to shoot it in the back rib, then shoot it on the back rib. The received wisdom of ph's is dictated by ethics, too, and they don't advise stuff if they think it's unethical and cruel.

I'm a fan of CEB solids for the tiny.
20220529_184437.jpg

Oh, and I wouldn’t hunt with anyone who would suggest gut shooting an animal. Theyd be going to the dentist if they said something like that to me.
Look at the shot placement guides for the small African animals. Many consider anything behind the shoulder (as we do in the US) to be a gut shot. A .30-06 with 180 gr. Partitions through the ribs may be behind the lungs, but results in an instantly dead steenbuck or duiker right there every time.

Ok, I admittedly have zero T10 experience, but I have half a century of experience with centerfire rifles on small game, including jack rabbits, varying hare, raccoons, foxes and assorted others. I carefully tailor my equipment to the target, regarding cartridge, load and bullet, but regardless of the target, I put the bullet through vital tissue... there is no reason not to put the round through the middle ribs... aiming for the last rib only increases the chances of hitting "behind" the last rib... perhaps the impact shock incapacitates the animal (but maybe not), however if the only reason for taking this kind of shot is to save the taxidermist some sewing, I would not pull the trigger. I find myself to be philosophically opposed to this practice... JMO, go ahead and flame away.
You have zero experience hunting the tiny ten, and yet you somehow assume that many, perhaps most of the people you are instructing who have hunted them have less experience than you?

Last edited:
I’ve heard of some folks having great success using the 77gr TMK bullet from Sierra on North American game up to and included elk.

I’m not advocating for it but if you google it there’s another forum where some hunters have had quite a bit of success.

Blue Duiker Hunt Zambia

This is fascinating. What if you used target non expanding ammo from 223? Those are cheap and most probably have cases of it.

This is something I have no experience with @Red Leg. Teach me something.

This is fascinating. What if you used target non expanding ammo from 223? Those are cheap and most probably have cases of it.

@Red Leg needs no help in this conversation, but I have used 55gr ball on coyotes and hogs. it works without question. There are better options, but they are just icing on a cake.

@Red Leg needs no help in this conversation, but I have used 55gr ball on coyotes and hogs. it works without question. There are better options, but they are just icing on a cake.
I shoot a lot of 223. Been partial to the federal fusion for deer and hogs, but I want a big exit hole there. Seems If someone has a 223 already, they could find a non expanding bullet to take our tiny 10 without having to buy a 1500 new barrel for the Blaser.

But I don’t know.

I shoot a lot of 223. Been partial to the federal fusion for deer and hogs, but I want a big exit hole there. Seems If someone has a 223 already, they could find a non expanding bullet to take our tiny 10 without having to buy a 1500 new barrel for the Blaser.

But I don’t know.

If I were talking my 223 bolt rifle to Africa for hunting any of what the OP mentioned, I would use a 62gr TSX. Now, if I was just hunting PG and hoping to find one of those three while I was out hunting, that isn't the route I would go, but if those three are what is wife his after, that is the bullet I would load.

Would a 55gr or 62gr ball work just as well, I would guess the answer is yes. I certainly have used them plenty, in a variety of situations, and they get the job done. But that isn't what I would use given a choice, and we are fortunate to a wide range of choices.

If you hit bone with a 223 (even with ball ammo))on any of those species , you will “blow them up “. Ask me how I know . You need to hit behind the shoulder

I have personally never used 5.56 or .223 ball ammunition on game, so I have no informed opinion to offer. I will say that the former is lethal on humans, but I never considered mounting one. They very well might work just fine, though the velocity would cause me concern on a very small animal I intended for a full mount.

You have zero experience hunting the tiny ten, and yet you somehow assume that many, perhaps most of the people you are instructing who have hunted them have less experience than you?

I'm not instructing anyone... I am expressing a philosophical objection to the rationale behind your shot placement. This is a forum, a place for opinions as well as information... everyone reading these posts can make up their own minds for how they view this practice. Before "I" chose to aim "away from" vital organs solely for the purpose of mounting a trophy, I would quit hunting that species, OR, I would find a way to accomplish both goals simultaneously... ie. Choosing a proper bullet and cartridge that allow heart/lung shooting without excessive damage to the carcass. That is my opinion... you do whatever is legal and your conscience allows.

If I bother bringing a light rifle on my next safari to complement my 375, it will probably be my 22 mag. I have a bunch of smaller trophies I’ve been dying for. Guineas, primates, and the tiny 10. Would anybody have any experience on best loads for something like that? I usually shoot jhp 40 grain cx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3chunter

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!