1980's Winchester Model 70 Safari Express - worth it?

Hunter06FLKY

Reaction score
Member of
Tiroler Jägerverband, Niederösterreichischer Jagdverband, Wild Sheep Foundation, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
Hunted
USA, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Romania, Norway
Hi Everyone!

I am going to be going to Africa for the first time in 2025. For this hunt I will be focusing on plains game with the largest animals being hartbeast, eland, and oryx. I am consdering picking up a .375 H&H to have as a general purpose rifle for hunting in Africa, not only for this trip but for future trips (hopefully including buffalo). That means I need a reliable rifle that can use for many years in the future both in Africa and for big game hunting in the northern hemisphere.

I have come across a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H that was manufactured in 1980 in New Haven (picture below). The rifle looks to be in more or less pristine condition and is priced at roughly $900 including shipping and registration. I understand that there was a bit of a quality drop after the design change in the 60's (which removed the controlled feed) and leading up to the shift of production to Portugal in the 90's.

My question - would this rifle from this time of production be a good and reliable option for years worth of hunting? Or should I try and find another option - such as a pre-64 Model 70? a newer production option? or a completely different make/model?

Just for information - I currently hunting primarily with a .30-06 but thought it would be interesting to have a "traditional" safari rifle. If this is an unnecessary idea, just let me know ;)

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Model_70_.375.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that Ruger's are CRF and in 375 Ruger, they are plenty powerful for just about anything.
They can be had for around $1000

Personally I would pick up one of the newer CRF rifles. I believe I saw one on here not long ago. It may still be available.
What WAB said - CRF and fantastic factory triggers.
Pre-64’s in .375 HH are expensive (collectibles) and do not have double recoil lugs thus tend to crack.

Don't get in a hurry. Your 30-06 will do just fine for your upcoming hunt. More comfortable to shoot too (though 375 is by no means a bruiser unless one is foolish enough to go lightweight). I found a like new Sako 375 in a store three years ago for $900 and vendor who had it on commission said the owner would deal. You have time to find a good one. Smart move looking for a used gun. I agree with others, for a potential dangerous game thumper you want the option to drop a round in and close the bolt quickly if needed.

$900 for that rifle is a good price, but by no means exceptional.. I see push feed Win 70’s in 375 HH somewhat regularly in the $900–$1200 range…

Personally, I’d hold out for a CRF option… I’ve seen model 70 stainless classics CRF in 375 several times go around the same price point (I actually got mine for $650)… and a buddy of mine picked up a very nice CRF safari express for just a little more than the push feed you’re looking at from a well established member here a few months ago… (very good deals on 375’s can be found here on AH regularly)…

Hunter06, is it relatively easy to come by .375 chambered rifles in Austria?
As an Austrian: in general yes, no problem to find a dealer which could order any rifle in this calibre, including many good gunsmiths who could build you a new rifle out of Mauser 98 actions for about approx. 2.500,-€

I didnt catch that the OP is in Austria...

I have no idea if $900 USD is a good price for that rifle in Austria or not...

Here in the US its a good price.. just maybe not a great price worth jumping on the deal super quickly...

I would suspect that some very nice/good Austrian and German manufactured rifles could be found in Austria for much more reasonable prices than what we would pay for them here? Maybe a good used Steyr? or a Voere?

FWIW there is a nice Voere sitting in a gun shop here in North Dallas (30-06) that another AH member spotted recently.. I think its priced just a little bit high right now for what it is.. but I also suspect that not many North Texans know what a Voere is, and that its going to sit on the shelf a bit.. in a few months I'd be willing to bet the price will come down a few hundred dollars..

Perhaps the same is true in Austria with American made rifles? I would guess most Austrians know what a Winchester is, but that most would prefer an Austrian or German (or other European manufactured) rifle?

If this is true, I'd think its a pretty safe bet that the winchester will have the price reduced a bit within a few months.. I wouldnt think it would be in nearly as high demand as other options in Austria..

$900 for that rifle is a good price, but by no means exceptional.. I see push feed Win 70’s in 375 HH somewhat regularly in the $900–$1200 range…
The price in this case would include shipping and the export process from Germany. If I could avoid that it would save me €150+

Hunter06, is it relatively easy to come by .375 chambered rifles in Austria?
Like @FlowHamed18 said, it is definitely possible to find .375s over here but they aren’t sitting around at every gunshop. Ordering them is no problem and there is a strong tradition of gunsmithing in Austria. Steyr used to produce a „tropical“ version of their Model S but it is hard to come by. From a custom standpoint Ferlacher is pretty well known internationally.

An acquaintance of mine actually uses a Ferlacher .375 as his normal red deer rifle, however it is a bit much for most deer. Here in Tirol there is little justification for a medium-bore rifle unless you are traveling a lot to hunt, given that we are primarily hunting in mountainous terrain for roe deer, chamois, and red deer.

Hallo und herzlich willkommen !

I would strongly suggest getting either a pre ‘64 New Haven made variant or a currently manufactured Portuguese variant. These are both control round feed. The Winchester Model 70 rifles manufactured between 1964-1992 were not to my liking at all. And their push feed design was only one of the reasons. The extractor was far too flimsy for properly extracting large magnum length cases (such as the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum), especially in the hot dusty conditions of the Kalahari and the Zambezi Valley.

I strongly endorse the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (for dangerous game) and .30-06 Springfield (for plains game) combination. I’ve been using both the calibers with great success on my African safaris, ever since my first safari to Kenya in 1974. As a matter of fact, this is my favorite combination to use for African game.
IMG_1354.jpeg

With .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (one of many successes with this caliber)
IMG_1403.jpeg

With .30-06 Springfield (one of many successes with this caliber)

Austria is a fabulous country and I absolutely love hunting the roe deer & red deer there. All the best on your upcoming safari. Hopefully, it will be the first of many.

P.S: If you do manage to get your hands on a pre ‘64 Winchester Model 70 in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, then please remember to:
1) Re-bed the stock and reinforce it with 2 cross-bolts (otherwise the stock WILL eventually split).
2) Have the feeding ramp smoothed out (otherwise it will often experience feeding issues with round nose soft point bullets).

Last edited:
If I were you I would look for a Mauser in 9.3x62. That would have to be a much easier rifle to come by in Austria.

I do not put much credence in the push-feed vs controlled round feed debate. I have yet to witness (in person) a failure on a PF that could not be attributed to the user, and in most cases a CRF would have had the same issue. That said, the CRF Win 70's hold their value better than the PF's.

Know your rifle and how to use it. Practice often and develop proper muscle memory. Work the bolt properly. Take the time to maintain your rifle in good condition. After a couple hundred rounds if you haven't had a failure...your rifle is reliable.

As for this particular rifle...no way of knowing if it's reliable without taking the leap. The positive side is you already have a 30-06 and that's perfect for doing a PG safari. If you were to add a 375H&H it would clear you for DG and provide a little more insurance for animals like eland, giraffe and zebra.

If you do get the 375 and it is reliable, it would be the only rifle I'd take to Africa. Travel light and enjoy the ride. Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide.

I've got one just like it, and wouldn't sell mine for $900.

(I would sell it however... now that I have amassed 4 - .375's!)

It killed a Gemsbok and Kudu at over 200m.

DG 062.jpg
DG 091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Personally, I’d hold out for a CRF option… I’ve seen model 70 stainless classics CRF in 375 several times go around the same price point (I actually got mine for $650)… and a buddy of mine picked up a very nice CRF safari express for just a little more than the push feed you’re looking at from a well established member here a few months ago… (very good deals on 375’s can be found here on AH regularly)…

The Winchester Model 70 stainless classic 375 H&H has gone up in value over couple of years they regularly sell on GunBroker for $2,500-$3,000!

@Hunter06FLKY y......You live in a Country that makes amazing firearms. I expect the price is also pretty amazing. Here in the US, I think you could get a better rifle for $900 with a little careful shopping. ...........FWB

I didnt catch that the OP is in Austria...

I have no idea if $900 USD is a good price for that rifle in Austria or not...

Here in the US its a good price.. just maybe not a great price worth jumping on the deal super quickly...

I would suspect that some very nice/good Austrian and German manufactured rifles could be found in Austria for much more reasonable prices than what we would pay for them here? Maybe a good used Steyr? or a Voere?

FWIW there is a nice Voere sitting in a gun shop here in North Dallas (30-06) that another AH member spotted recently.. I think its priced just a little bit high right now for what it is.. but I also suspect that not many North Texans know what a Voere is, and that its going to sit on the shelf a bit.. in a few months I'd be willing to bet the price will come down a few hundred dollars..

Perhaps the same is true in Austria with American made rifles? I would guess most Austrians know what a Winchester is, but that most would prefer an Austrian or German (or other European manufactured) rifle?

If this is true, I'd think its a pretty safe bet that the winchester will have the price reduced a bit within a few months.. I wouldnt think it would be in nearly as high demand as other options in Austria..
I think that definitely plays a role here. It is quite often the case the Remington and Winchester rifles (even moreso with american make shotguns) have a tendency to sit on the shelf for a while. Given that a .375 isn't a "typical" cartridge for most austrian and german hunters, I image that makes it even more likely to be reduced.

I have come across a few Steyr Model S and Tropical .375s but unfortunately the prices or the condition of the rifles hasn't been quite right. Lately I have seen some Voere rifles as well, but normally in larger calibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiramOkeef

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.